PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum - training for my PPL in the UK

mike_foyle
24th Aug 2012, 08:59
Hi all,

I just wanted to say hello and to introduce myself. I started training towards my PPL here in the UK at the beginning of the month. Really enjoying it so far! I thought I'd join the forums as it's clearly an invaluable knowledge base and there seem to be some very helpful individuals around here. Looking forward to getting to know some of you anyway :)

Mike

localflighteast
24th Aug 2012, 10:53
Well I'm going to say hi !
I'm also working on my ppl but here in Canada ( I'm an ex Brit though!)

I'm finding this forum incredibly helpful ( been reading a lot of the old threads)

Be interesting to compare experiences
I'm at about 15 hours and currently pounding out the circuits to try and nail those landings

I've had to pass a written exam to get my radio license and a Pre solo exam called the Pstar

How's it going for you ?

riverrock83
24th Aug 2012, 13:12
Welcome to PPRuNe!
I'm a fellow student also (Scotland based) - although hopefully within the next 2 months I'll get my "licence to continue learning" (I've got a couple of exams, a couple of practice tests and the general skills test to go).

I discovered almost by accident that one of my club instructors is on here - there is a wealth of knowledge from other students as well as every other sort of pilot. Do do a search for a topic before asking a question, but don't be afraid to ask. Remember that your instructor always has the final say no matter what you read on here.

Enjoy your training - we'll all look forward to hearing about your progress!

mike_foyle
24th Aug 2012, 14:01
So far I've only done 3 hours of dual flying and I seem to be taking to it quite quickly. I've flown casually with friends in the past and I used to fly paragliders and model aircraft so it's been a passion of mine for some time. I'm also a huge flight simulator geek!

So far I've worked my way through some of the manoeuvres (just done stalling in the last lesson and I have to do another hour of stalling before my first solo apparently). I also did a few touch and go circuits to practice my landings in my last lesson.

I've been lucky enough to acquire a full set of Oxford Aviation Academy DVDs which I'm studying religiously! They are very good and I'd highly recommend them!

Here is a video from my last lesson (yesterday!) for anyone who is interested. It's been great so far and I'm right at the beginning of my journey... very exciting!

Flying lesson #3 - YouTube

mase101
27th Aug 2012, 00:47
Hi mike, I'm also relatively new to the world of aviation, I'm doing my ppl at denham with 13 hours in my log book. Thought I'm taking to it pretty well to but only just getting on to circuits. It's going to be an expensive hobby, but so worth it. Looks like your getting to grips with it really well judging by your vid. Where are you flying from and who with? Are they a good school. I'm with the pilot centre in denham and I must say its really well run and friendly. Might sound a bit stupid but I signed up with pprune today and still can't find the tab to actually post something, how do I go about it? All the best with the flying

Mase

lenhamlad
27th Aug 2012, 14:24
Might sound a bit stupid but I signed up with pprune today and still can't find the tab to actually post something, how do I go about it?

You've just done it:confused:

tmmorris
27th Aug 2012, 14:48
Nice video! Have fun, it's great.

Don't encourage the A/g operator at Thruxton by asking for taxy instructions, though... you don't have to ask, just tell him! But I'm sure your instructor will explain that at some point, don't worry too much about it now.

Tim

mike_foyle
27th Aug 2012, 22:30
Thanks for the comments and advice chaps. I need to brush up on my RT knowledge. I've been working my way through the Oxford VFR Comms Disc which has been great.

I've also started up a little blog documenting my progress and just as a little journal for myself and anyone else who is interested! I'll post videos and updates as regularly as I can. Obviously nothing too exciting yet! But if you are interested, check it out here:

The Flying Foyle blog (http://flyingfoyle.tumblr.com/)

Cheers again guys!

mike_foyle
27th Aug 2012, 22:32
To post a new thread, just look up at the top of the forum that you want to post in, for a tab that says "New Thread". Hope this helps :)

localflighteast
28th Aug 2012, 01:33
The radio work comes with time and exposure
I'm spoilt because I can actually see the runway from my balcony so I sit with my radio and watch the planes while I listen in

I'd start off just by listening and getting used to the speed of the instructions
Then I'd start breaking the instructions down into what they actually meant
Finally I'd start thinking about what the correct reply should be

Long story short : don't sweat it , it'll come naturally in the end!

mike_foyle
28th Aug 2012, 07:26
So, just to clarify... Would the correct transmission be "Golf- ........., Radio check and ready to taxi. 3 people on board for a local flight."?

Mike

dobbin1
30th Aug 2012, 08:07
CAP 413 is your freind:-

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP413.pdf

Look at Chapter 4, page 33

localflighteast
30th Aug 2012, 10:28
Hmm think I'd better be quiet here , radio procedures seem to be slightly different here

I start off with
" city ground this is <call sign> with information alpha( or whatever the atis is)"

Then they come back with " <callsign> city ground , go ahead"

I then reply
" city ground , Cessna 172 request taxi to active runway for localflighteast ( or enter the circuit)"

Then they give me altimeter winds squawk code , taxi instructions etc

My main mistake so far is forgetting who I'm talking too ( ground or tower ) , doesn't help on quiet days that they can be the same person but on two frequencies , occasionally I've also forgotten what plane I'm in ( the school has 3)

mike_foyle
1st Sep 2012, 08:15
CAP 413 is great - just downloaded it. Thanks for the heads up :)