PDA

View Full Version : My 1st gliding experience

piperboy84
24th Aug 2012, 03:26
As a follow up to previous thread (“Looking for pointers/advice/ideas’) I started regarding my experience hitting mountain rotors over the Scottish highlands in the Maule, several replies to that thread advised that I try gliding to better understand updrafts/thermals/rotors and mountain waves etc. Well i finally did it !!

Last Monday on my way to Vegas I stopped off at Crystalaire Soaring Academy situated at 3400ft at the foot of the San Bernardino Mountains to the South and the Mohave desert to the north, I was told that several records had been set from this field.

The 90 minute flight started with a tow from a 285hp piper Pawnee (at least I think that what is called) which I was told is a converted Ag sprayer with a reel for retracting the tow line where the hopper would be. Released at 8000ft the hunt for lift was fascinating, the instructor seemed to be able to read the sky like a POH explaining about cold air coming up the valleys from the beach causing sink etc. he intuitively know where the lift would be both in the mountains and over the desert which was impressive, after a few “ lets head over to our X o’clock” we were at 12000ft MSL and skirting round the tops of Mount Baldy (closer than I would dare to in the Maule) then headed out over the desert and followed some birds who must have attended the same lift training school my instructor went too. The descent took forever and on short final I was somewhat apprehensive as it seemed my ass was about 2 inches off the ground just prior to landing, the slight knock I received on touchdown was nowhere near the one my wallet took that evening on the blackjack tables.
All in all an absolutely amazing experience, can’t wait to get back to Scotland and stop by Roundyhill and score another flight.

Pilot.Lyons
24th Aug 2012, 19:05
Wow that sounds amazing!

Ive also wantedto try it and based on what you said i think i will!

Shame it will probably be in the midlands!

Ill leave the gambling out... I tend to loose

sablatnic
24th Aug 2012, 19:30
Now you know why the birds sing!!

piperboy84
24th Aug 2012, 23:29
Now you know why the birds sing!!

Yeah, I felt like singing myself knowing i wasn't burning 70 quid an hour on avgas

snapper1
25th Aug 2012, 09:12
You can do all of that in Scotland and you wont need an 8,000ft tow. Check out the British Gliding Association's website at gliding.co.uk, look for 'Find a club' and take your pick. My recommendation would be the Deeside club at Aboyne.

Olympia 463
14th Sep 2012, 19:02
You don't say whether you were flying in wave or thermal lift. There is a difference you know. However if you want to sample similar conditions in Scotland without heading for the Highlands (Aboyne) I can recommend two clubs near here in the Scottish Borders where there is a good chance of wave flying to quite high altitudes - 14000 -16000ft. One is Portmoak near Kinross and the other is Millfield almost on the border itself. Portmoak mostly winch launch which by the sound of it you haven't tried yet (strongly recommended for the sensation) and Millfield is aerotow only. Portmoak is a full time club - Millfield is weekends only.

cats_five
14th Sep 2012, 21:30
Suspect the release was AMSL, not AAL. It was still a very long tow though, the height of the launch point is given as 3400'. No wonder his wallet took a beating. What kind of glider was it? The DG1000? They are lovely to fly.

piperboy84
14th Sep 2012, 23:42
here is a couple of vids from the flight, the light bit of desert you see in the disxtance is El Mirage lake bed next to Edwards Air Force base and General Atomics where the predator drone is built

glide 1 - YouTube

glide2 - YouTube

cats_five
17th Sep 2012, 07:50
Videos make it clear it's a K21, not the DG1000.

Sensible Flyer
17th Sep 2012, 17:09
Another vote for Portmoak!

Been there a few times and the ridges are always good fun. If the wind is anything from south westerly to northerly one of the ridges will be working. Portmoak is where I reached 14,000' from a winch launch and did my 5 hours towards my silver badge.

Plus Mary's cooking and hospitality is second to none... Just don't sit on her tables! :}

cats_five
18th Sep 2012, 06:31
Mary? Who is Mary? How long ago are you talking about? !!!!!

And BTW we have a ridge that works in a southerly....

chrisN
18th Sep 2012, 10:44
Pilot Lyons, in the midlands you can try the Midland GC at the Long Mynd, or Shobdon. They both have wave as well as thermal (and the MGC have a superb ridge too).

Further south is the Black Mountains club at Usk, near Abergavenny. Wave is very common there.

See the BGA map as advised in another post.

Chris N.

ChrisJ800
18th Sep 2012, 12:55
I had a great 4 days flying and staying in Aboyne over one Easter. Thermals, wave, rotors and snow front. Flew inside the leading edge of a lenticular and a snow cloud (wearing a chute of course).:ok:

trident3A
18th Sep 2012, 15:19
Looks great - thanks for sharing the videos

kestrel539
18th Sep 2012, 17:26
chrisN,
Black Mountain GC is at Talgarth. NW of Abergavenny, South Wales GC is at
Usk, SW of Abergavenny.
Both clubs, as you say, get some very good wave, last Wed and Sun for example at Usk .

chrisN
18th Sep 2012, 18:38
Sorry, yes, I had rolled the two together by mistake. I've been in wave at both, a long time ago.

Chris N.

MartinCh
19th Sep 2012, 05:09
sensible flyer, 14k msl from winch? Nice.
Only in hilly area where you can use ridge to lob you up further into thermals or direct from ridge lift to wave..
I never got to fly wave so far in glider and at Usk, one needs more than winch to reach the wave, since the thermals don't connect to wave easily in that area, from what I was told when I did bit of gliding there. There was shear or inversion etc between achievable height from thermals and bottom of wave, so guys usually took high tows into wave.

Now I've done bit of gliding in Oregon this season, WVSC (North Plains, OR) and about 30 bucks (20ish quid) for 3k ft tow seems expensive compared to winch. Wait till I pay UK tow charge again.. Double the cost.

I'm hoping to have more time in between my rotary and fixed wing flying/training/instructing, to sample the wave soaring somewhere in Nevada, Arizona, Colorado etc coming years. Coincidentally enough, I checked out SSA website. Truckee would be nice to get to fly out of, too. Own glider would be nicer, but too much hassle for someone living around.

Tankengine
19th Sep 2012, 10:21
Come down to Australia in your "off" season, we can show you great thermals, not much wave until May-Sept though.;)

Olympia 463
19th Sep 2012, 13:57
I think he means Irene!! PMK is one of the best club's I have flown at and I've been at more than a few.

1.3VStall
19th Sep 2012, 14:12
I have lots of time out of both Talgarth and Portmoak and can highly recommend both of them. They both have good track records for ridge and wave in the winter and add in excellent thermals in the summer.

piperboy84
19th Sep 2012, 17:54
Was it one off you guys on here that was gliding over my tractor ploughing today between Forfar and Brechin near the village of Aberlemno?

Whoever it was, it was amazing watching you hunting for lift, the glider circled about 200 ft above my tractor I assume picking up heat from the newly ploughed field, I was convinced it was gonna have to "land out" due to higher terrain all round apart from a drop down into a valley to the north which has really large pylons at the same height as the glider, after about 12 to 14 circles above my plough it got just enough lift to get over to a ridge about 1 mile way and then zoom up to what must have been at a least 1500 agl in seconds then cruised of to the West with ample altitude.

All in all a breathtaking display of airmanship, thanks for the show !!

Olympia 463
20th Sep 2012, 18:59
Well as a gliding instructor I would not be praising his airmanship or his brains. At 200 ft if that what it was, he was only seconds from being on the ground. We were taught to select a field to land in at not less that 1000ft and on no account to try thermalling at heights below that.

cats_five
21st Sep 2012, 07:17
The glider was probably higher than 200'... The pilot might have had a field or fields picked and the wheel down...