PDA

View Full Version : Emigrating to instruct?

S8Priv.Ops
21st Aug 2012, 23:54
I am wondering if it is possible to earn a living just from instructing, as I would like to instruct as a 'day' job. I would also like to do this outside of the UK but my network of flight schools abroad is really not very expanded and I wouldn't know who to speak to.

Where would be a good place to begin looking for more information to make a solid choice?

Thank you

nick14
22nd Aug 2012, 06:12
Fte are looking for instructors, check out the flight global jobs page.

japandwell
22nd Aug 2012, 06:39
First of all, are you qualified to instruct in USA? If so, then be advised that instructing is no way tomake a living. It is impossible unless you work for an academy that teaches foreign ab-initio students. These academys off excellent benefits as well. Universities like ERAU may be a good place to start(If they accept you).

RPMcMurphy
22nd Aug 2012, 07:45
Be careful if you are leaving the UK to instruct in a country in the Eurozone. I left the UK 18 months ago for a job that paid in Euros. On the face of it, the pay was OK, but if you have any financial obligations such as loans in the UK that need to be paid in pounds, you will be clobbered by the transaction charges, the exchange rates and indeterminable delays as money gets moved from one account to another. We are already a lot worse off financially than this time last year due to changes in the rates, so I'm bugging out of the Eurozone to get paid in a more stable currency.

S8Priv.Ops
22nd Aug 2012, 11:47
Japandwell, and this may be a long shot, would you happen to know if the foreign academies are very likely to accept newly qualified instructors?

Some background:
I have some experience flying FAA, but not as yet instructor qualified. Instructing is my goal, but at present it appears that I may be able to instruct, but will have to expect not to get paid much more than fuel costs and expenses for my time around the airport. Which will be unfortunately unworkable if I can't earn enough to live.

B2N2
22nd Aug 2012, 13:23
Some big schools in the Middle East, this being one of them
Ayla Aviation Academy-The Leading Flight Training Organization for Pilots in the Middle East (http://www.aylaaviation.com/)
Also some flight schools in Saudi.
Alternatively there are 5(6?) JAA/EASA approved schools in the USA that could use JAA certified (unrestricted?) Instructors.
Some of them could use a good instructor that's for sure.....:E
You would have to go the H1B visa route.

japandwell
22nd Aug 2012, 17:36
You'll just have to have a look around. it appears that most do not hire newly minted CFI's. You'll need a few hundred hours of CFI time before they'll take you.
Try instructing in the side on weekends or after work if needed. Then apply to the academy's. Oxford Academy in Phoenix, ATCA Arizona, IFTA Bakersfield etc. There is also a company called WAS INC that stopped training the JAL students. I have heard they may start back up soon.
You'll need to keep a day job for a while, as it seems.
The regionals that have not furloughed are losing pilots left and right. This is an indication that the overall employment situation may be improving soon. Of course several US regionals are still on furlough status.

S8Priv.Ops
22nd Aug 2012, 17:50
There is some good information on this page.
I'd like to thank you all for the benefit of your experience, and for helping me to see the lay of the land.