PDA

View Full Version : Advice on travel in France

barnaby
5th Apr 2002, 18:41
I am looking for some advice on travelling into France for a few days.

I have heard of a Gites that has it's own airfield? Does anybody know of anywhere like this? I would quite like to travel down the west coast to somewhere like Bordeaux, but I am open to suggestions. I have no particular area in mind, the purpose is just for relaxing and to enjoy the surroundings.

I fly an Archer 3 so runway length is not too much of a problem.

If anybody has any suggestions, please post details.

Many thanks,
Barnaby:D :D :D :D

JB007
6th Apr 2002, 07:58
Well, if you can't help a fellow chap from Leeds, whats the world come to...

Are you LBA or Sherburn ?

I flew down to Cannes last year in a PA28, although out of Shoreham as I thought i'd come and live down sarf to pay for expensive houses and beer!!

Good first stop is Deauville....good restaurant at the airport!

We then stopped at Nevers, Lyon/Bron and then Avignon - which is a fantastic little French town, well worth a few days stay just to eat and drink well....then into Cannes.

Watch Northern France as its very featureless and not easy for VFR flight if your on your own...we used the Jepps VFR maps and they were crap, alot of features missing...

Also watch if you head into the Alps for the "Mistral"....we had no problem but worth been aware....minimum sector safe around Lyon if you take this route was approx 085..

Hope this helps,
Have a good flight...

Kuhtai
7th Apr 2002, 07:20
This Gite doesn't have it's own airfield, but it seems to be close-by none the less. I don't any personal knoledge of the place, just came across it whilst surfing.

Gite with airstrip (http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jennysgites/flytoler.htm )

barnaby
7th Apr 2002, 07:56
Thanks Kuhtai for that information. I must be crap at searching the net because I tried all sorts and didn't find anything like the link you did.

JB007, hope you got the email that I sent to you. Tell me if you didn't.

skydriller
14th Apr 2002, 21:31
Barnaby,

Check out my reply to piperpilots thread about Bordeaux area,

Regards, SD