PDA

View Full Version : Boss of NATS on BBC Radio 4 - 17 Aug 2012

rab-k
17th Aug 2012, 18:19
BBC Radio 4 'Today' programme (http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9745000/9745150.stm)

DX Wombat
18th Aug 2012, 14:28
OK, very funny. Now, own up, which one of you let him out of his nice, comfy, office with the padded walls and floor? :=

On the beach
18th Aug 2012, 17:18
At least we know what Dick sounds like now. So, about this new airport.

I know Mr. Norman Foster has put in super designs for Ebsfleet-in-the-Marshes International but surely an East/West configuration isn't the ideal, or hasn't anyone told him? Or, more to the point, hasn't anyone asked Air Traffic Controllers what would be the ideal location and alignment of the runways and even how many might be needed. No, thought not. One would assume that as we have prevailing south-westerlies in the UK that the preferred runway alignment would be of the 04/22 order.

"Doh, why didn't we think of that?"

Wouldn't the approach pattern going into Dutch airspace depend on the runway alignment? Can't see an approach to RWY 22 getting into Dutch airspace any more than they do now. Departures off RWY 04 and turning right, sure, but not approach to RWY 22.

Sounded from the interview that either Dick knows that Ebsfleet-in-the-Marshes in its current form has been approved or alternatively he doesn't understand that a simple re-alignment of the runway (it is only a plan, after all) would alleviate most of the mis-perceived "Dutch" problems and would certainly solve most of the noise problems.

Anyway, who wants to listen to an old ex-ATCO, when you can hear an engineer telling you all about Air Traffic Control? :{

OTB

P.S. Dick, try to cut out all the ers and ums, makes you sound like you're making it up as you go along. Oh, and nobody starts a sentence with "So" anymore. That's so 1990's. Oh, and I think all those objects "that don't conform to normal traffic patterns... typically around one a month" are actually Ryanairs. :E

Sir George Cayley
18th Aug 2012, 17:55
So, everyone at NATS appears to begin each sentence with so. Must be a cultural thing.

So, can anyone tell me how the airlines will be able to walk away from some considerable investments at Heathrow and move to Boris Island International.

SGC

On the beach
18th Aug 2012, 20:08
"So, can anyone tell me how the airlines will be able to walk away from some considerable investments at Heathrow and move to Boris Island International".

Oooh, now let me think.

Er, how about we ask the bods in Hong Kong that had to abandon Kai Tak for Chek Lap Kok how the Airlines managed?

So, it's what we, er, in the real World, er, call progress.

So, that's the real question. "Why didn't you think of it?"

Oooh, I could tell you, but.........er, you wouldn't understand. Ask an engineer. :E

OTB

P.S. Chek Lap Kok: Plan for the construction of a new airport was announced in the early 1990s. Opened for commercial operations in 1998.

Thames Estuary Airport: The 'Marinair' proposal was put forward in the 1990s, in which an airport would be built on an offshore artificial island in the Thames estuary, north east of the Isle of Sheppey. Opened for commercial operations in... Oh, haven't we started work yet?

"Doh, so what have the "leaders of aviation" been doing for 20+ years? Well, Dick, that's the answer we're all looking for? Any ideas? ......Thought not!"

ZOOKER
18th Aug 2012, 20:46
Surely the original plan for Boris Island goes back to Roskill and Maplin Sands in the mid-1970s.
Giving the project a 'scoping phase' of at least 36 years !! :E:}

On the beach
18th Aug 2012, 21:28
"Surely the original plan for Boris Island goes back to Roskill and Maplin Sands in the mid-1970s. Giving the project a 'scoping phase' of at least 36 years !!"

Er, exactly. Now, if my maths serves me correctly, that makes, er, mid-1970s, add 36, er, um, oh who gives a fig anyway. I fly direct to Amsterdam and connect to the rest of the World that way, along with thousands of other Brits. I've given up waiting for some prats in the UK to make a decision on "the way forward". It's behind you, mate! :E

OTB

P.S. OTB so far this year has flown through EHAM, EGHI, EGNX on the way to, well, point being Heathrow has lost out 3 times so far this year. How long can this continue before EGLL becomes totally redundant?

Flightman
19th Aug 2012, 08:36
I suppose that depends on how many flights you intend to make?
You sound like a real high flyer so I suspect BAA are worried. :D

Vercingetorix
19th Aug 2012, 13:09
on the beach
One assumes that the 'Boss' would have taken advice from the PANS-OPS qualified airspace planners at HQ.
One further assumes that he (The BOSS) regards ATCOs as tactical rather than strategic folk.

'twas ever thus.:ok:

On the beach
28th Aug 2012, 11:44
Verci,

You should know the first rule of ATC:

"Thou shall not assume". :E

OTB

eastern wiseguy
28th Aug 2012, 19:47
Anybody else wondering why they haven't released the latest share price....or is it just me?

29th Aug 2012, 11:15
I would guess it will be released with the next tranche of shares due in a few days?