PDA

View Full Version : Cleared on Arrival - Clarification

dcoded
16th Aug 2012, 13:04
Hello.

I have had several discussions with different ATC regarding what "Cleared on XX 2X Arrival" really means.

Some say that when a controller clears you on the arrival you are free to decend according to the STAR.

On the other hand, some controllers say that I have to maintain my last assigned level but that I am free to proceed on the lateral part of the STAR when they give me "cleared on XX 2X arrival" And that I am free to decend according to the STAR only when they give me "Cleared Approach"

Need help and also if you could point to some document supporting your claim (I guess Doc 4444?)

THanks!

LoserGill
16th Aug 2012, 18:57
Cleared for the approach gives you the go ahead to start the descent and follow the profile.
"Cleared on XX 2X Arrival" to me (as a former en-route feeder controller) means that`s the approach you should plan for albeit phraseology is different than what I would give (You are cleared to THAT airport via the THIS approach).

Lackadaisical phraseology really annoys me, it is quicker to get it right the first time and leave no doubt in the pilot`s mind.

5milesbaby
16th Aug 2012, 19:07
All UK STAR charts have a box somewhere on each page that states:

DESCENT PLANNING
Pilots should plan for possible descent clearance as detailed in the table below (or similar text, this example from the OCK STAR into London Heathrow)
ACTUAL DESCENT CLEARANCE WILL BE AS DIRECTED BY ATC (this part looks to be the same on the charts I have viewed for Heathrow, Gatwick, Manchester and Glasgow and is always written in capital letters)

Follow this link here (http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=6&Itemid=13.html) to the Aerodrome UK Air Pilot if you want to view the STARs yourself.

To answer your question, only descend when you are directed to by ATC when following a STAR chart.

barnas
17th Aug 2012, 14:12
I think ATC can give level restriction while he or she is clearing an aircraft on STAR but if ATC clears the aircraft for approach, level restriction can't be given.

5milesbaby
18th Aug 2012, 20:08
dcoded, you need to reveal what country you are talking about in case there are local rules regarding your query. Also, which phase of flight are you asking about? STAR or final approach?

In the UK, most if not all STAR's finish at a holding fix and do not include the approach phase of flight, that is a separate document. If a controller wants an aircraft to comply with a particular restriction then they have to give the clearance in full and iterate the restriction, and in subsequent transmissions reiterate the restriction if further level clearances are given or navigational instructions that clear the aircraft beyond the restriction point.