PDA

View Full Version : FAA PPL Long Cross Country

lukep95
16th Aug 2012, 08:30
So I'm not too far from finishing Stage one of the PPL. I train out of John Wayne Airport (KSNA) I was just messing about on SkyVector.com looking at where I could do cross countries to. I worked out a flight plan to KLAS! - KSNA-HEC-KLAS. It's 193nm so would that be too long for the long cross country? Works out well too as I can stop at Riverside on either outbound or inbound to count my three airport visits.
Anyone in the LA area know of some good places to do long cross countries to? Even if you know of some good, challenging places to visit once I've passed that'd be cool! :-)

Cheers!

BackPacker
16th Aug 2012, 08:46
Did you talk to your instructor yet? Most flight schools have two or three designated routes that they use for the QXC, and these routes are designed so that they conform to the rules and throw just the right amount of challenge at you. So you are normally not expected to come up with a route of your own.

In any case, the route and your complete planning will have to be signed off by an instructor anyway.

englishal
16th Aug 2012, 11:08
Palm Springs should work for you. Could do Carlsbad, PSP.....That is a nice route.

172driver
16th Aug 2012, 15:20
One more thing - this being summer fire season make sure you check the TFRs and have flight following for the entire trip. Fire-related TFRs can spring up at no notice at all and you really don't wanna blunder into one on your X-country!