PDA

View Full Version : Right-handed?

Davaar
15th Aug 2012, 01:10
I thought I knew the answer to this beyond doubt, but I find that I do not. Please help.

In a Tiger Moth and a Chipmunk, one stands in front of the engine, facing aft to the tail, balances appropriately with the right foot forward and the left back a bit (at least I used to), grasps the upper blade of the propeller with the right hand, and on "Contact" pulls it through, past one's legs, and swings the body and right arm away from the head-remover.

I believe that is how Biggles did it too when he was a boy.

Is that a "right-handed propeller"? When it catches it rotates clockwise when one is looking aft.

Sir George Cayley
15th Aug 2012, 21:57
If you have to ask..........

Mark 1
15th Aug 2012, 22:57
A right-hand prop rotates clockwise as viewed from behind. I.e. in the same sense as a right hand thread if you draw the helix formed by the tip as it progresses in flight.

The Dripsy Majors on Chippies and Moths follow the British convention of being left handed rotation that is continued through the fans of R-R engines being also LH rotation, whereas PW and GE used the RH convention

Davaar
16th Aug 2012, 00:50
Ah well! Sir George, if in doubt, ask. And the asking was profitable, with thanks to Mark. So .... we swing a left-handed prop with the right hand. What could be more obvious? Anyway, now I know.

Intruder
16th Aug 2012, 19:16
The "right handed" convention was born of simplicity...

Start with your right hand fully open and thumb extended to the side. Curl your 4 fingers. Your fingers point in the direction of rotation. Your thumb points in the direction of resulting airplane movement.

Davaar
16th Aug 2012, 23:12
Thank you, Intruder! I see it works with the left hand and thumb too.

Intruder
17th Aug 2012, 21:31
...and that would illustrate a left-handed prop!