View Full Version : Electronic Pilot's Atlas

odonnella
13th Aug 2012, 11:24
Can anyone advise please?

I have been carrying around the "Pilot's Free Flight Atlas - Eastern Hemisphere" and "Airport Orientation Maps" for several years and am trying to find electronic copies of them.

I have, to date, been completely unseccussful.

Does anyone have any info on these books or, if not, could anyone make a recomendation of alternatives?

Thanks

Man Flex 37.5
13th Aug 2012, 16:38
Pilots Pal are about to release an iPad app, this an electronic logbook but also has a route planner, you enter the departure and destination and it plots a great circle route over google maps. It displays relevant airports and also gets you the weather for all of these, you do need an internet connection initially, once downloaded you can view whilst in flight mode.

Localiser
14th Aug 2012, 20:09
I too had the same quandary. I can highly recommend 'National Geographic World Atlas HD'. It allows you to store any regions maps off line so you can look in quite some detail. Airports are marked. Waypoints and navaids are not but it's pretty good.

odonnella
19th Aug 2012, 11:58
Thanks Folks - i will look at both of these.

I have made some enquiries...

For those of you who are interested Maps4pilots will be publishing an electronic copy of "Airport Orientation Guide" in October...

Absolute Zero will be publishing an electronic copy of "The Pilot's Free Atlas" later this year.

Localiser
20th Aug 2012, 15:45
Thanks for that info.

Would you mind posting on this thread if you spot anything released please? I'm interested myself.

Thanks

Ragazzo
20th Aug 2012, 17:01
Thanx for the infos guys.

I have been looking for a really good atlas for the iPad... and have found... none :{
And it ain't for the lack of trying, installed I have: World Atlas, iAtlas, The WorldHD, National Geographic Map, AtlasHD, NG World and directU Europe.

None of them gives me the precision I'm looking for whilst offline, most are more centered around country facts or filing the iPad's precious memory with nice pictures. Also I sure can do without musical intro :ugh:

Of those, I would rate the directU and The WorldHD as the better ones.
The first one is free, there are several continents that can be downloaded. The drawings are detailed to street level, but lacking some features such as smaller lakes names etc.
The second one has very nice interface and clear maps, but lacks the required detailing.

As a pilot, I am impatiently awaiting the release of The Pilot's Free Atlas :ok:

Man Flex 37.5
28th Aug 2012, 16:13
Pilots Pal for the iPad is now available on the app store.

whazup
11th Oct 2012, 02:07
While trying to compete at the same level as other professional logbook programs and showing a user friendly interface and nice presentation of your logbook it has quite a few bugs in it's latest version for iPad that doesn't justify the cost.

All entries and subsequent display of hours are correct but those are the 'basic' functions. The added value that comes in the form of route planning and auto weather download for a certain route does not work and makes the app crash. Also none of the graphic representation of the hours ( bar graphs for monthly an annual hours) work and make the app crash.

Overall not a bad product but not delivering on it's promise!
I would avoid it for now until an update addresses these core problems.

compressor stall
11th Oct 2012, 03:16
I too eagerly await the publication of a good atlas for the iPad.

I d happily pay $50-60 for the Times Atlas of the World on iPad....

Andrén
19th Oct 2012, 03:51
There is a Pilot Atlas available on appstore.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pilot-atlas/id568201451?mt=8

compressor stall
20th Oct 2012, 00:03
Thanks Andre, but its not a very good atlas with detail. I want all the little towns named and roads marked.

That sort of data is only the domain of large companies, and I await their apps.

xtp
20th Oct 2012, 19:49
Georeferenced UK airport diagrams are somewhere on the web (free).

I use them with Memory Map software, for which UK aeronautical maps are also available. The application runs on a variety of platforms.

A combination of gMapMaker and Map2MapC generates georeferenced segments of Google, MSN, Yahoo and OSA maps fairly conveniently on a PC. Map2MapC outputs a number of georef formats compatible with a variety of applications in addition to Memory Map.

PilotGuru
23rd Oct 2012, 07:23
FYI absolutezero is working on an app which should be released early next year

Andrén
23rd Oct 2012, 15:31
Compressor stall, you might be right but if you just want to use it to make nice PAs or to see where you are in relation to towns. I think "Pilot Atlas" does a fine job.

At least worth checking out as it's being sold for a discounted price anyway

orions123
3rd Dec 2012, 18:12
The Airport Orientation Map 2013 is now available as an interactive book app for the iPad.
Available from www.Maps4Pilots.com or https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/maps4pilots/id547320337?ls=1&mt=8
Or search Maps4Pilots in iTunes.

It is free and comes with a free sample area of NW Europe.
In App Purchases of other areas for £8.99 each

Rest of the world coming during 2013