PDA

View Full Version : PPL/SEP Renewel

del_boy_ben
12th Aug 2012, 17:45
Hi everyone

It's been a long time since I last posted here and last flew, so I have a couple of questions. I was very lucky that when I was younger my PPL was paid for by my parents and then I realised that in the real world it was hard to keep it up. But now I'm in a position where, in theory, I should be able to fly a couple of hours a month.

I have searched the forum for answers but after chatting to a flying school I'm a bit more confused.

My PPL expired on the 12th July this year, but my SEP rating expired 22nd June 2006. I last flew in June 2005. I know I will need the extra training and a new medical but I was told by the flying school that I will need to take all my ground exams again. He said this was to do with the new EASA regs. Is that correct? Obviously I don't mind the extra training and I would of course look up any new rules but I just wanted to be clear. So basically. Just wanted to know what the best way to go about it is.

I know these questions come up quite often but I just wanted to be clear. And also I have read lasors but I can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance

Ben

BEagle
12th Aug 2012, 20:06
Firstly, the school is talking rubbish.

You do not need to sit any ground exams. Wherever did they get that idea?

To have your licence re-issued under JAR-FCL (why?) you would need to hold a valid medical and fly a renewal SEP Licensing Skill Test. You would then need to send your paperwork to the CAA before 13 Sep 12 as it's more than 5 years since you held a valid SEP Class Rating. But your re-issued JAR-FCL PPL(A) would then need to be replaced by a part-FCL PPL 5 years later.

To renew your PPL and lapsed SEP Class Rating after 17 Sep 12, you simply need to meet the requirements of FCL.740 (b) (1) & (2) as stated in CAP804 Section 4 Part H, Subpart 1 Page 6:

(b) Renewal. If a class or type rating has expired, the applicant shall:

(1) take refresher training at an ATO, when necessary to reach the level of proficiency necessary to safely operate the relevant class or type of aeroplane; and

(2) pass a proficiency check in accordance with Appendix 9 to Part-FCL.

Then send your paperwork to the CAA, together with whatever else they ask for on the form which they have yet to produce, including the fee.

You should then receive a lifetime part-FCL PPL(A) with SEP Class Rating.

del_boy_ben
13th Aug 2012, 19:31
Hi

Thanks for the reply. The school I went to was not my usual base, I just happened to be passing there one day. I had a feeling that it wasn't the case.
By the look of it, I'm probably better off waiting until after the 17th September to start again. Is that what you would recommend?

I have been searching through the four but not too sure how far to go back, but has anything major changed in flying that I should be aware of? Or any books in particular I should read to get me back up to speed.

Also, any recommendations for a flying school at elstree now, as I've realised that my old flying school no longer exists!

Thanks again

Ben

Whopity
14th Aug 2012, 10:22
As you need to get your licence reissued, (5 years) then it might be best to apply after 13th Sept (The CAA will close down for a few days to realign with the new system) then you will get an EASA lifetime licence and not have to pay again in 5 years time. Meanwhile, there is nothing to stop you getting up to speed and completing your SEP Skill test then send it all off so that they can reissue your licence after 17th Sept. I am sure that process will bring you up to speed with anything you may have forgotten.

BEagle
14th Aug 2012, 13:30
I agree with Whopity's suggestion.

Also, don't forget to ensure that the Examiner who does your SEP renewal test remembers to complete the 'ICAO Level 6 English' part of the form - you won't be able to obtain a part-FCL PPL without it.

Whopity
14th Aug 2012, 16:02
you won't be able to obtain a part-FCL PPL without it.Surely that is only required for International flight when using radio!

BEagle
14th Aug 2012, 16:34
Well, of course you're technically correct, Whopity.

A UK FRTOL issued after 17 September 2012, does not expire, but it is not valid unless the holder has language proficiency in English at Level 6, or at Level 4 or 5 that has not expired.

Since the FE can only confirm Level 6, what I really meant was that he/she should fill that in, so that the FRTOL included in the licence will remain valid.

Whopity
14th Aug 2012, 18:16
Not actually what I meant. The quote is clearly from the new CAP 804 but if you look at the ICAO requirement:Are all members of the flight crew required to meet the language proficiency requirements?

All pilots shall meet the language proficiency requirements when they fly internationally.Thus if you fly in the country of licence issue there is no ICAO requirement for an English language endorsement.

As the endorsement is only placed on a Pliot's Licence and not the FRTOL, stand alone holders of a FRTOL could not possibly comply with Quote:
A UK FRTOL issued after 17 September 2012, does not expire, but it is not valid unless the holder has language proficiency in English at Level 6, or at Level 4 or 5 that has not expired.

BEagle
14th Aug 2012, 21:30
del_boy_ben, just make sure that the Examiner does include an ICAO Level 6 assessment in your application form, then all doubts cease to be of any concern!

mrmum
17th Aug 2012, 20:40
BEagle,
(1) take refresher training at an ATO, when necessary to reach the level of proficiency necessary to safely operate the relevant class or type of aeroplane
So does this mean that after Part FCL next month, renewals (as opposed to revalidations) will not be able to be done at a RF? I read that all current FTOs will be deemed to be ATOs, but of course RFs have a couple of years to become ATOs.

del_boy_ben
17th Aug 2012, 21:14
Thanks for all your help. I must admit that I was a bit annoyed that the other flying school told me that I need to retake the exams.

But on the advice here, I will wait until after the 13th September to send my paperwork back, and illmake sure that the examiner includes everything.

Thank you once again.

Ben