PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Civil Aircraft at Military Airfields

Private Partz
12th Aug 2012, 02:24
Are there any provisions for keeping a civil registered aircraft based/parked or hangared at a military airfield. I understand that there are mixed use facilities at Townsville but what about RAAF Richmond?

Shagpile
12th Aug 2012, 02:37
Yes you can - there's one at Edinburgh that I know of next to the tower.

Not sure if you need to belong to a club though...but you don't want to go down that path as your club/aircraft has to comply with both CASA requirements (fair enough) AND the RAAF Airworthiness people, who can audit you. Probably more hassle than it's worth.

DraggieDriver
12th Aug 2012, 02:50
I know of one time this was possible, but the owner was a RAAFie.

john_tullamarine
12th Aug 2012, 09:24
Suggest you contact the relevant Base Squadron folk and enquire what the local rules and protocols are. I expect that you would need to be associated with one of the RAAF groups on base.

Cloud Basher
12th Aug 2012, 22:10
Private Partz

Simply put,

No.

As Dr O said, all civilian registered aircraft at Richmond are on line with the RAAF Richmond Flying Club.

If you would like more info PM me.

Cheers
CB

Trojan1981
13th Aug 2012, 03:39
Richmond has an Archer (in very good condition), a C150 (for sale), an Evektor Sportstar, a Mooney M20R and a Cirrus SR22. All these aircraft are utilised by the aeroclub (which must maintained >50% ADF membership).
If you have anything with retractable gear and a CSU that would fit between the Archer and Mooney in terms of pricing then give them a call (on (02) 4587 3214 or Chief Pilot – Mrs Jenny Avery – Mob: 0402 537 624) as they are looking for an aircaft in that category.

There was a C340 in the 285 Sqn hangar at one stage, and a C182 (SRE) was parked in a temporary shelter up near 176 Sqn a few years ago. I don't know what these were there for but I suspect they were being used by base personnel.

bentleg
13th Aug 2012, 04:46
There is the RAAF Williamtown Flying Club at Williamtown on the RAAF side of the field. I think base affiliation is required. I'm not sure if opportunities exist on the civvy side.

Similar deal as I understand it at HMAS Albatross at Nowra with Albatross Aero Club.