PDA

View Full Version : REM Guitarist Cleared in Air Rage Case

oncemorealoft
5th Apr 2002, 10:34
Looks like he got away with it!

Unwell_Raptor
5th Apr 2002, 10:39
It looks like the O.J.Simpson ploy has worked again. Dazzle the jury with famous names, and he gets off in the teeth of the evidence.

brabazon
5th Apr 2002, 11:01
Anyone know about this sleeping pill that is supposed to have caused this "uncharacteristic" behaviour? If it can cause such behaviour should it not be banned?

I feel sorry for the crew who had to deal with a very ugly and violent situation. It is no comfort to them that he has been acquitted even if it was a genuine case of reaction to a drug.

Any reaction from BA yet?

radeng
5th Apr 2002, 11:31
According to Ananova, he said he'd fly home with BA.

Can an airline refuse to carry anyone without giving a reason? i.e. refuse even tos ell them a ticket?

Irishboy
5th Apr 2002, 12:04
One law for "them", another for the rest of us.

Sir_Lurkalot
5th Apr 2002, 12:20
Having once had to do Jury service, I sympathise with the jurors on this case.

One thing to remember is that a jury is required to return a verdict of 'not guilty' unless they are sure 'beyond reasonable doubt' of the defendnt's guilt. In this case, I can understand why they felt they had to come down in favour of the defendent.

My personal opinion is that if he is not guilty of the assaults through 'diminuished responsibility', then he should be done for taking drugs not prescribed for him.

Whichever way you look at it, he got away with appaling behaviour. More power to the airline if they ban him!

El Grifo
5th Apr 2002, 12:26
Yeah, this one sends out bad signals !!

Remember a few weeks ago when the Scottish Olympic gold medal skier was robbed of his award, because he bought some Vick inhaler in the USA, which happened to contain trace elements of a banned substance, not found in the identically branded product in Scotland.

A lifetime of training and discipline wiped out in a moment.

The REM guy takes an unspecified "pill" and a "moderate" amount of wine, goes berserk on a passenger jet and gets let off. Never mind the distress he caused to his fellow passengers and more importantly the Cabin Staff. He was "famous" after all :confused:

Jinkster
5th Apr 2002, 12:27
He must have been a shiny happy person. :D

stagger
5th Apr 2002, 12:48
I think that the sleeping pill that was supposed to have caused his "uncharacteristic behaviour" was zolpidem (Ambien® in North American, Stilnoct® in the UK). Although it’s not a benzodiazepine (e.g. diazepam, temazepam, and lots of others ending in “pam”) it acts in a very similar way.

A few points are worth making…

What was Mr Buck doing drinking red wine when he had taken a prescription drug that almost certainly came with a warning indicating that alcohol should be avoided?

Alcohol generally enhances the sedative effect of anxiolytic and hypnotic drugs such as zolpidem and the benzodiazepines – i.e. tends to make you sleep rather than run around causing mayhem.

Paradoxical anxiogenic reactions are not unheard of with the benzodiazepines (i.e. although they are sedatives they have been known to make people anxious and behave in strange ways). However, with short-acting benzodiazepines these reactions typically occur during the withdrawal phase – i.e. in the morning once the drug has started to wear off. It’s possible to get rebound anxiety and irritability that can generate “uncharacteristic” behaviours.

Bizarre and sometimes violent reactions to benzodiazepines have been documented in the past – most notably for triazolam (Halcion®) leading to it being withdrawn from the market. But as far as I know zolpidem isn’t particulatly likely to cause this sort of behaviour.

The most likely outcome of taking a tablet of zolpidem and having a couple of glasses of red wine would be a long snooze.

maninblack
5th Apr 2002, 13:11
It seems that a spokesperson for the airline has confirmed that as he was found not guilty he is welcome to fly with the airline.

Nice to see a company supporting the staff.:confused:

Benjurs
5th Apr 2002, 13:17
This is my first post so take it easy on me!

Not that I condone the behaviour of Pete Buick but what else is the airline supposed to do?

He's been cleared in a court of law and whether we like it or not he has been found not guilty of the offence.

under_exposed
5th Apr 2002, 13:22
Benjurs, I tend to agree. BA cannot look as if they do not take notice of the legal system. Lets just hope his baggage takes a different trip, First and club are full and his meal choice is unavailable.

stagger
5th Apr 2002, 13:34
He looks pretty pleased with himself here...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1910000/images/_1913280_buck300.jpg

tinyrice
5th Apr 2002, 13:44
...........but just as dull as ever. Frankly, I was amazed when I read this thread as he, like REM in general. is amazingly boring. Now if it had been 'Keef".....................well!

El Grifo
5th Apr 2002, 15:14
Mmmmm Stagger, nice picture !!

I take it that the bald guy with the glasses, who Mr Buick is propping up, is the sample stoogie who he brought along to demonstrate the stupifying effect of the drug!!!!!

Looks like he had a double dose :eek:

If you beleive, they put a man on the moon, man on the moon.

tiger burn
5th Apr 2002, 16:08
Grrrrrrrr........with reference to the jury's verdict, I utter the famous oft quoted words of Ian Hislop (Private Eye) and latterly, the fragrant Christine Hamilton........."I'm a banana!"

Sagey
5th Apr 2002, 16:32
I have to agree with the earlier sentiments re jury duty.

I have just finished a 2 week spell with 2 cases, at times it was probably the most frustrating thing I have ever had to do, and it amazed me how little jurors looked at the facts and the judges rulings on the points of law before reaching a verdict.

Some wanted to find guilty because "They didn't like the look of the defendant" and he may have previous, hardly legit IMO.

Anyway there must have been enough doubt, verdict did shock me a bit though after reading the reports in the paper. Wonder if the reports in the paper were so highly o.t.t that when the jury heard the real evidence it confused them into finding a not guilty verdict? Does anyone know how long they were deliberating for?

Sagey

bsevenfour
6th Apr 2002, 03:00
The one undisputed fact in this case is how this man behaved, after all it was witnessed by enough people.

Now let me ask you this if you are a polite and gentle person ( as testified by his many friends ) and have been under the influence of a drug that has caused you to act in this manner what is the first thing you would think of doing after "drying out' ? I know my first actions would be to try to apologise profusely to the crew I have caused so much grief to.

So where's the apology and the statements of remorse for his actions ?

Roadtrip
6th Apr 2002, 04:03
I'm . . . . . like . . . . . er . . . . . not responsible, man. It was the drugs and alcohol. The airline should have stopped me before I did it . . . . . er. . . . Yea, that's it.

Hagbard the Amateur
6th Apr 2002, 09:47
I would find it interesting to speculate what the outcome would have been had the pop star been British. Ian Brown did a year in Strangeways for making a verbal threat on an aircraft.

wayward
6th Apr 2002, 10:19
The difference between the `guilty` and `not guilty` verdict is fame.
Anyone else would have gone to jail.A farcical result.

banshee
6th Apr 2002, 10:29
This aquital highlights the weakness in the law yet again. Remember the Airtours ac that diverted into Norfolk VA and the wriggling that ensued. In this latest case, I wonder if the result would have been the same had the CPS chosen to prosecute using a basic assault charge. Methinks that the industry and law makers ned to go back to the drawing board and frame a better law to protect all of us in this working environment.:mad:

sky9
6th Apr 2002, 14:11
Is a private prosecution for assult by those involved still an option?:confused:

AhhhVC813
6th Apr 2002, 14:18
El Grifo, probably wrong, I usually am, but is not the "bald headed stooge" one Michael Stipes lead singer of REM?

Greenfinch
6th Apr 2002, 15:09
If, as has been suggested, he chooses to fly BA again I hope the crew serves him 'pan-wiped' steak in Raccasan sauce !!!

El Grifo
6th Apr 2002, 19:28
Yeah AhhhVC813, you are right of course.
It was just my little joke !!!!!
:cool:

J-Class
6th Apr 2002, 19:47
Hmm... I do find it all rather suspicious.

I frequently take Stillnoct when I fly overnight, often after having had a glass or two of wine with dinner. The result, unerringly, is that I pass out for a few hours. If I have any violent incidents with this drug in the future, I'll let you know!

Unwell_Raptor
6th Apr 2002, 20:25
From The Times:

Six ways to pass the Buck

Play the Southern Gentleman: Buck exchanged pleasantries and declared devotion to his wife.

Call celebrity character witnesses: Michael Stipe called him the epitome of a dying breed of gentleman, Bono testified to his sobriety and even the former Mayor of Georgia offered praise.

Blame the sleeping pill: Professor Ian Hindmarch, an expert from Surrey University on the effects of drugs on human behaviour, told that Ambien combined with alcohol could lead to bizarre behaviour and “underlying aggression”.

Try to discredit evidence: the two main British Airways witnesses, Mario Agius and Holly Ward, had a financial incentive in seeing Mr Buck found guilty. The defence revealed that both had launched compensation claims.

Use clever seating: Stipe, the band member Mike Mills from REM and Mr Buck’s lawyer wife, Stephanie, were seated facing the jury, where their anguished expressions were clear to see.

Employ a top lawyer: Richard Ferguson, QC, may list his hobbies as “drinking Guinness” and “playing at being a farmer” but has built himself a reputation as a formidable advocate.

exrotarybooty
7th Apr 2002, 14:08
J-Class
I'm just praying that you fly as a passenger, and that you are not the pilot!:eek:

virgin
7th Apr 2002, 16:59
Surprised at the verdict, based on Press reports.
Assuming that the jury chosen at random didn't produce 12 fools, should we be sceptical about the accuracy of the Press reports?

As for the CC claiming compensation :rolleyes: , I dont blame the jury if that made them less sympathetic to the CC and thought they were moneygrabbing.

Bally Heck
7th Apr 2002, 18:55
Crashed my car today. Think the alchohol reacted with my lunch, and I didn't know what I was doing. (Can't remember a thing)

Still, looks like a legal precident has been set. If you can avoid prosecution for assault and endangering an aircraft, drink driving shouldn't be a problem.

brabazon
8th Apr 2002, 08:51
Given the trauma and abuse suffered by the crew - is there a case for a prosecution (private or otherwise) for assault? What was he actually charged with in this case.

I hope that BA are sympathetic to any of the crew members who subsequently refuse to fly with Buck on board.

This has sent out all the wrong messages. Liked the analogy with the Scots skier, perhaps someone should take away some of Buck's gold discs!!

bjcc
8th Apr 2002, 17:48
I doubt that the CC could now issue proccedings for assault. It would give Mr Innocent a heaven sent outer...ie that he was being victimised.
I understand he was charged with being drunk on an aircraft, which the jury appear to have slung on the grounds that if he had only had a couple of drinks, that his behaviour was the result of the 'small amount' of drink mixing with a drug, he cannot have been drunk. If he was not drunk, he cannot be convicted, the ingridents of the offence having not been proven.
As regards to endangering the saftey of an aircraft, well difficult to prove. I don't know what he was alledged to have done on board, apart from play a CD on a trolley...assuming there was something more then it would have to be shown beyond doubt that he acted in a way that endangered the saftey of that flight. For instance, kicking a seat couldn't have any effect on the flight, nor could kicking a memeber of the cabin crew...trying to break the window with a fire axe ...obviously would be.
Still, if BA insist on letting him fly with them a trip in the wheel well might cure him of his ways.........

flapsforty
8th Apr 2002, 18:42
bjcc perhaps things are different in the UK?

The guy who assaulted me 2 years ago got convicted by a Dutch court.
Aircraft carrying pax require an x-amount of FA's to guarantee the safety of the pax in case of an emergency, either in the air on the ground. This is a requitement by international law.
Incapacitating an FA by assaulting him/her, thus poses a risk to the safety of the flight.
At least that's the way the judge saw it.
The conviction of this a*sehole went a long way in sorting the whole thing out in my mind.
My sympathies to the BA FA's involved in this matter; this "legal judgement" must be very hard for them to cope with.
Hope and trust BA is looking after them!

PaperTiger
8th Apr 2002, 19:17
Which was it, a 'couple' of glasses or fifteen in ~8 hours (http://artscanada.cbc.ca/data/1/6/5/7/live/page1.html) ? If the latter, I'm not surprised he fell out of his tree, pill or no pill. Would pretty much queer the chance of getting a result in a civil case too I'd think.

Cyclic Hotline
11th Apr 2002, 01:08
Check out the character witnesses and their statements! ;)

Michael Stipe and Bono (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/stipetest1.shtml)

brabazon
11th Apr 2002, 08:54
Is it not possible for an otherwise responsible individual to suddenly turn into a hooligan after drink, drugs or both. The fact that Bono thinks that Buck is a family man and isn't aware of him drinking to excess surely is interesting but can't vouch for his behaviour on the day.

Back to the sleeping drug he took anyone know the manufacturer and what the instructions say regarding side effects?

Are the crew taking out a private prosecution?

MICHEAL STIPE
11th Apr 2002, 10:12
Have been in counselling with him....
He said he won't do it again.
No more touring if he does!