PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to learn to fly, any advice?

Lizz
10th Aug 2012, 14:48
Hello all, firstly I am new so sorry if this is in the wrong section, I have tried to find best where to put this though :)

I'm seriously looking into learning to fly, well give it a go and see how things goes, but I really think it's something I'd just love to do.
I've read up about it abit and I know it would be alot of money and hard work but I'm prepared for that.

I just wanted maybe some opinions or advice off people who have a private licence or maybe who went on to a commercial job?
Is learning to fly something anyone with determination can do?

Any replies much appreciated :)

The500man
10th Aug 2012, 18:32
Probably best place to start is by booking a trial lesson at the closest flying school to you and see whether you like it or not. Alternatively you could have a go in a glider for less money. It will then be easier to decide what you want to do. If you want to go commercial a private license is a good start, but if you just want to get in the air, gliders or microlights might suit your wallet better.

Good luck with it! :)

stickandrudderman
10th Aug 2012, 18:39
Learning to fly will teach you so much more than learning to fly.
By all means try gliders but I wouldn't make a judgement on it until you've tried power too.
I tried gliding at your age and it didn't tick my boxes but 20 years later (too late for me to take it seriously) I got a PPL and have thoroughly enjoyed it.
At your age you should, money permitting, try everything you possibly can so you can be sure to find something that you like to do in order to make a career out of it. Too many people get stuck in a rut early on in adult life and by the time they wake up and smell the roses they're too burdened by responsibility (much of which is probably imagined anyway) to make changes.
Go for it Girl!:ok::ok:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
10th Aug 2012, 18:45
I see you're in Manchester. You are well placed! Go along to Lancashire Aeroclub Flying School at Barton (now called City Airport) and fly with the CFI, Martin Rushbrooke. He will kindle any enthusiasm you have and get you set on course for your licence. He will give you realistic advice on time and costs etc.

I did my PPL at LAC back in 1978 and flew from Barton for many years. Martin taught me aerobatics in our Chippy, and did my conversion onto the Yak52.

You cannot possibly do better than a session with him!

Crash one
10th Aug 2012, 18:50
As above but you may find gliding a bit "lots of time on the ground helping out" off putting.
Trial lesson is the way to go. Then you will be hooked & join the impoverished happy people. There are several ways it can be well affordable once you get the licence. Estimate £6 to 8k. I did mine on the pension at age 67 & wished I were your age. The rut thing.
Go for it:ok::ok:
Edit: yes this is the place to put it.

Lizz
10th Aug 2012, 19:02
Thanks for the replies guys :ok:
I was thinking of booking a trial lesson at Barton as it's just up the road from me.
Money is of course always an issue, but I start a new job on Monday which is a good start :rolleyes: I do however have the money for the trial lesson, just need to get around to booking it!

I was wondering, all the groundwork stuff is it? Is that something that with hard work you can get your head around? I've always got the impression that maths is needed to some extent.

DeltaV
10th Aug 2012, 20:15
Is learning to fly something anyone with determination can do?
Yes. It's a skill that can be taught and learned though it involves things that surface bound people never have to think about.

The500man
10th Aug 2012, 21:07
Lizz, I don't think there is much by way of Maths in the PPL syllabus. Speed/ distance and time is about as tough as it gets! There's also a bit of unit conversion but it can all be done fairly simply on the whiz-wheel (CRP-1 flight computer). Knowing a bit about trigonometry might be useful, but is definitely not essential. If you got Maths and science GCSEs or similar you won't have any trouble.

Armchairflyer
10th Aug 2012, 21:15
I was wondering, all the groundwork stuff is it? Is that something that with hard work you can get your head around? I've always got the impression that maths is needed to some extent. I'd say that at least at the PPL level you definitely can get your head around it, and one certainly does not need to be a math genius. On the other hand, absolutely loathing numbers and refusing to do some calculations by hand and/or on the paper (e.g., weight & balance, time and distance, top of descent, wind triangles) is probably not the best point of departure ;).

Lizz
10th Aug 2012, 21:19
Thank you 500man!
I got C's in GCSE maths and science, bit rusty now, or rustier should I say but I'm sure if it were something I wanted I'd make that extra effort. My dad's also a genious when it comes to maths and science so I can always ask him!

I'm going to take the plunge and book a trial lesson and see how it goes from there.
I have failed to mention that I have been quite a nervous flyer in recent years :ugh: but it's due to a lack of control and I actually (weirdly) really want to go ahead with this!
Fingers crossed!

Genghis the Engineer
10th Aug 2012, 21:24
I started learning at 19, got a PPL at 22 (money slowed me down!), and eventually gravitated to a commercial licence. I've even used it once in a while! (Actually I use it most days, but mostly for the knowledge and credibility in an aviation management job, rather than through being paid to fly as often as I' prefer.)

Flying is a wonderful occupation - for fun, for work, or for something things in between. It also develops really valuable personal skills in planning, attention to detail, multitasking, and clarity of thought and communication. Plus it is tremendous fun.

The exams are a fair bit of work, but demand more hard work than high levels of natural aptitude. If you were up to grade C GCSEs they shouldn't challenge you intellectually.

I agree with others, start with a trial lesson or two, do a PPL (or gliding equivalent, or an NPPL Microlight - the last is where I started), and see how much you enjoy it and whether you want to take it further.

There are several schools at Barton, and I've never heard anything against any of them - so go and have a look around. It's a friendly little airfield, albeit next to some quite scary airspace - but if you learn there, it'll just be part of the scenery.

G

Tillerman777
10th Aug 2012, 21:52
Hi Lizz, I fly (not work, there is a difference!) for a living. It is possibly the best decision I made a good few years ago. I made the decision late but persevered. I would go for it. You certainly appear to have the passion. The training at any stage is challenging. You spend more time at a desk than behind the controls but some of the stuff is interesting and some of the stuff is boring but necessary. The further you go in your adventure the less flying you will do. In a commercial sense, you become more of a flight safety manager and system operator than a stick and rudder pilot. But that is not to put you off the idea. It is still a great feeling landing a 250000kg (that's 250tonnes) aircraft with 300+ souls on board in a weird and wonderful destination. For example, I am currently in west Africa and heading off for another 7/8 hours flying in 24 hours. My suggestion is to talk to a good few people who fly. Listen to the positives and negatives, both points and people!!! Decide if you can balance the two and if that balance is in the right direction, go for it. The cost is a lot but if you pursue the commercial road you and your wallet will soon forget about the expense. You do of course have to choose the right job!!! Best of luck!

sevenstrokeroll
10th Aug 2012, 23:38
Lizz

I'm a former flight instructor, now airline pilot in the USA. First off, go out and BUY the book: "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langweische (USA Test pilot from the 40's) Read it a dozen times...each reading is worth dozens of hours of real flight instruction.

Second: The amount of math is very little. Arithmetic skills like understanding there are 360 degrees in a circle and that the opposite direction of 360 degrees (north, also known as "0'' degrees) is south or 180 degrees.

You will have to know how to add,subtract and multiply and divide. Its not rocket science.

Try to learn in pipers and not cessnas...much more civilized but a bit more expensive. (see the movie, "Goldfinger" for the ultimate Piper product placement)

Be in good health and get your medical certificate before you spend too much money...it would be rotten to spend a fortune on learnin ofl nlyto find ot you are in ill health( you don't have to be wonder woman)

Go out and watch the planes takeoff and land...get a very cheap vhf receiver to listen to the radio calls.

XLC
11th Aug 2012, 00:25
Hi Lizz,

just do it.

I am based in Hong Kong and meet pilots often, from all over the world. You will be surprised how many started with very little. As other said the studies are no issues. Others did it, you can too.

Lizz
11th Aug 2012, 09:47
Great advice guys, thanls :ok::ok::ok:

That maths sounds ok, I just haven't used it in years really, never had need. I was a check in agent, then I've been an estate agent for about 2 months and on Monday I'm doing something not too sure what it is but I know it's not mathematical :rolleyes:!!

Anyway, I did want to ask, the medical aspect, generally I'm in good health but I was wondering about eyesight? Mine's corrected by contacts although it's not 20/20. I would assume it's more than just reading the next planes reg like driving? :confused:

Grob Queen
11th Aug 2012, 13:03
Hi Lizz,

As others have said, once you have had your trial flight, you will be hooked. As to the maths....i am certanly no mathemetician...others have said that you need a "C" in GCSe Maths and Science. Well, I would say thats..although very helpful, not essential. I have an "F" at GCSE maths and a "c" for GCSE science and yes, I do struggle very much with teh Maths and the Science study/nav planning. Whizz wheels and conversions...I hate em! (especially when you ahve your licence you can use GPS ;) ) QFE/QNH calculations...nightmare - especially when ATC and the ATIS give you the Airfield QFE and RPS QNH anyway. Converting degrees C into degrees F...why??!! Will I REALLY need to know this when i'm flying? (now I guess someone is going to jump in and say why I DO need to know these things) i'm just leaving that bit out of my Met study. But really, my goal is that licence and I will overcome my maths and science difficulties to do it.

If you have the motivation and the passion to succeed and get that licence you will. The end goal is whats driving me forward.

So Go for it!! have fun, get your dad to help you with the maths and science, and your FI to help with Nav and other ground study and you'll get there. If you already haev friends who are pilots, ask them for help too. My pilot friends are invaluable - even with just morale support when things are going badly. Spend time around your club or school, no time at the airfield is wasted.....its also very enjoyable (especially with a plentiful supply of cheap coffee and chocolate :ok:)

Good luck with it :D
GQ

Lizz
11th Aug 2012, 13:35
Well, I just sent off for a 'voucher' for a trial flight, just have to wait for it then I can book it!
I would have just rung up, however starting my new job on Monday and not knowing what times I start/finish etc it might be best to leave it a week or so before I book it so I know what's happening.
But it's paid for so there's no changing my mind! Well there is, but I don't want to do that!:D :D

Genghis the Engineer
11th Aug 2012, 14:07
A warning.

If you bought the voucher from a school fine, but there are companies who sell trial flight "experience" vouchers at outrageous markups.

Deal with the flying school / club people, as far as you can.

G

Lizz
11th Aug 2012, 14:11
Yes I've bought it through a school.
Are the companies you're referring to the ones who do track days in fancy cars? They are a complete rip off! :=

Genghis the Engineer
11th Aug 2012, 14:14
That's the ones, you obviously didn't need the warning. Good on you.

G

Genghis the Engineer
11th Aug 2012, 14:49
That as well!

I'm lucky, working all my life in aviation but seldom as a professional pilot (more as a professional who uses the fact he's a pilot) I've been lucky enough never to lose my enthusiasm for aviation. But, I've seen many who have.

It's noticeable that you're far more likely to find 30++ year old aviation enthusiasts working in light aviation than in "heavy metal" - 10 years seems to beat the enthusiasm out of most in that area. Well on the civil fixed wing side anyhow, there aren't many unenthusiastic fighter pilots, and most helicopter pilots seem pretty happy as well.

G

A and C
11th Aug 2012, 15:37
Lots of good advice above.

Flying from Barton would seem to be the best place for you and unusually you have a choice of two establishments with good reputations, The LAC has a few votes in the pages above and apart from one person on this forum I have never heard a bad word about them.

The other establishment on the airfield is Manchester Flight Training, I have to declare an interest here in the fact that I have done some business with them.
I like the guys for the honest way they do business and don't cut corners but most of all for the way that invoices are paid within a few days of being presented. In these hard economic times I find them a breath of fresh air and would recomend that you take a trip to Barton and see both establishments before deciding on a place to fly as I am sure that both of them would do a good job in teaching you to fly.

rogera
11th Aug 2012, 18:00
i am having a trial lesson with lomac aviators at liverpool airport this month on a piper tomohawk. i have been passionate about aviation since i was a teenager and have decided that it is now or never. the prospect of being able to travel around the uk and europe in a light aircraft is appealing as i love travel. my problem, which i have had has since i was 20, is that i am really scared of turbulence. :{

does anyone have any suggestions ?

syncmeister
11th Aug 2012, 18:04
I've allways loved flying and just recently got my learning permit for PPL. Even though it's going to cost me quite alot (wouldn't surprise me if it's even more expensive here in Sweden) and our local politicians don't give much for private flying (with 3 airfields closed down just in the last 10 years) I'm still going for a ppl!

If you're like me who loves the idea of reaching the skies, i say go for it.:ok:

Gertrude the Wombat
11th Aug 2012, 18:05
Whilst you're training nobody's going to let you go flying in non-trivial weather, and after you've got your licence you can choose not to.

If you keep the recommended ten miles away from thunderstorms, which is a jolly good idea if you wish to stay alive, you won't come across anything very bumpy.

syncmeister
11th Aug 2012, 18:05
Have you considered why you are scared of turbulence?

Thats a good place to start in order to figure out how to overcome your fear.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Aug 2012, 18:15
i am having a trial lesson with lomac aviators at liverpool airport this month on a piper tomohawk. i have been passionate about aviation since i was a teenager and have decided that it is now or never. the prospect of being able to travel around the uk and europe in a light aircraft is appealing as i love travel. my problem, which i have had has since i was 20, is that i am really scared of turbulence. :{

I can give you the experience, the maths, or the history of why turbulence is no great issue - as syncmeister asks - what worries you about it?

G

mad_jock
11th Aug 2012, 18:16
rog most of being scared is the fear of the unknown. Once you have been up in it a few times and been flying the aircraft you don't even think about it.

Had one student who claimed they were petrified of it. By the end of the PPL the were saying "yeha jesters dead" when ever we got any which was funny the first time but ......

rogera
11th Aug 2012, 19:03
thanks G it has been a numer of years since I last went up in a light plane so it may be diferent this time - I will right down my exact impressions straight after the flight

charliejulietwhiskey
11th Aug 2012, 19:16
I've recently passed my PPL at Barton with Manchester Flying School, very good set up, flexibility and better aircraft. Some brilliant instructors too, very helpful and experienced.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Aug 2012, 19:47
I've on occasion bounced off Mainair Microlight School at Barton; they've always struck me as very decent and competent people with a lot of enthusiasm for flying.

Flying both light and both flavours of microlight aeroplane, in my opinion, for pure enjoyment, microlights are most definitely not second to light aeroplanes where fun for your money is to be sought.

G

Lizz
11th Aug 2012, 20:43
My trial lesson's with LAC, I'll see how it goes and have a snoop around at the same time while I'm there.
I was telling my friend before I booked it and she was like bloody hell! Do you know how much it costs? She seems to think it's typical of me, doing things on the spur of the moment (booking holidays last minute, buying brand new cars) I enjoy it though, it's one of the few pleasures I get out of life being so spontanious!!! :D

Weirdly, turbulance has never bothered me! Only when a plane drops and you get that weird feeling in your stomach. I assume as I pilot you get used to such sensations?
Like I said in an earlier post I have odd moments when I'm flying, usually of impending doom :eek: I think that's watching air crash investigation too much though! :ugh: Also, a lack of control, I'm the same when other people drive me places, can't stand it!

Ps, air police, thanks for the advice. If I am totally honest though a little time on the ground learning what's what will be all part of it for me, I'm a total novice, the closest I've ever got is flight sim 98 - and I crashed every time! :bored:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
11th Aug 2012, 23:09
Excellent! If you can, fly with Martin, though I'm sure the other guys / gals are good too.

Let us know how it goes.

BroomstickPilot
12th Aug 2012, 06:00
Hi Lizz,

I should like to add emphasis to the point already made by airpolice.

All flying clubs/training organisations operate on a wafer-thin profit margin and operating costs are high. As a result, there is a dismal but more or less constant trickle of places going bust. The trouble is that this usually happens without any warning. A place that perhaps seemed to be doing OK yesterday is gone by tomorrow.

Cash flow is almost always a nagging worry to them and one of the ways they try to keep money in the kitty, especially when they are beginning to fail, is by offering package discount deals for the PPL or NPPL (as the case may be). As a result, just too many student pilots have seen their club/FTO go bust overnight with several thousand pounds of their hard earned cash, which usually they never see again.

So perhaps the most important lesson you can learn from us for the moment is; NEVER, NEVER, NEVER PAY UP FRONT FOR A COURSE OF FLYING, and ALWAYS PAY WITH A CREDIT CARD.

Good luck Kid,

BroomstickPilot.

Lizz
12th Aug 2012, 08:02
Thank you for the advice, is it normal procedure then to pay after?
Credit card though - yes! Very wise idea :ok:

splidge
12th Aug 2012, 08:16
Why do you say it is essential to pay with a credit card? Assuming one is following the first part of your advice and paying in arrears I can't see why one would need the insurance aspects of a credit card.

I personally pay for my lessons by credit card because the club lets me and I get points, but I don't see that paying by debit card would be that bad an idea, e.g. if the club kicked up a fuss about the fees. You're paying for the instructor/aircraft time that you've just used, so how would you ever have a claim that it wasn't delivered?

Certainly at my club paying afterwards is standard procedure - sometimes a while afterwards in my case as I've forgotten to pay once or twice!

Lizz
12th Aug 2012, 08:55
Also a valid point, I think the credit card was in reference to buying bulk lessons?
Correct me if I am wrong.

To be honest if I go ahead with lessons I'll find the best way I can to pay considering I have odd debts to pay off!

magpienja
12th Aug 2012, 09:12
Lizz as Genghis has already mentioned....don't forget microlights,

Lots of people have the mindset that they are bits of tube and a lawn mower engine...nothing is further from the truth these days,

Go and look at Chris Copples Mainair Microlight School at Barton....if you have not looked at a modern 3 axis microlight I think you will be amazed,

If your thinking of getting into commercial aviation though the NPPL M will be no use to you....but its £££££ cheaper,

I fly micros from Ince Blundel on the coast just north of Liverpool....its prob even cheaper to learn there...there is a fantastic school there.

Lizz
12th Aug 2012, 09:17
To be honest yes I have that view of microlights, mainly from what I remember off a sooty programme from when I was younger :rolleyes:

While you mention commercial, I meant to ask, what qualifications do you need? Anything specific? I only did my GCSE's then went to college to do travel and tourism and a cabin crew course (what I used to want to do)
Would - if I went down that path (getting ahead of myself but I am a control freak for planning stuff!) I need other qualifications?
I'd be quite happy to do so, in fact I've been thinking of doing something anyway to bump my qualifications up anyway especially now I'm older and have more an idea of what the working world is like.
I'm quite curious also, as the few people I know that tried to get into commercial jobs all seemed to have done/were doing degrees.

mad_jock
12th Aug 2012, 09:43
You into a different ball game there Liz. Academically you will be fine with but the market is pretty rubbish just now for low houred commercials and you will have to put in a fair bit of planning into the next 1-2 years and also work out how your going to finance £45k.

There are multiple ways of winding your way through the system and depending on your situation some maybe better than others.

As a quick run down

PPL 7-8k
ATPL theory plus exams 3k
Medical class 1 (you need to go and get this done first at gatwick) £500
Hour build 105 hours 12K
CPL 8k
IR 15k
MCC 2k

And an extra 4k for skills test and license issue.

If you want to go the instructor route its another 7k on top of that.

The500man
12th Aug 2012, 09:48
A spontaneous control freak? Interesting combination! :cool:

There are no specific higher education requirements for a commercial job; GCSEs in the usual subjects is often an entry requirement for integrated training courses or for the few and far between part-sponsored courses. A travel and tourism qualification and working as cabin crew would quite likely look good on your CV though!

There is a general wisdom that anyone that wants to be a pilot should do a degree, because when you have your CPL completed and find you can't get a job you can use your degree as a fall back to get a job. It's not essential, but again might spruce up your CV a bit.

Mad Jock, I think if someone just wants to be an instructor it is - all soon will be - possible to do it and get paid on just a PPL+FI?

Lizz
12th Aug 2012, 10:24
Thanks for the info. Just to clear up I never got a job as crew, got the qualification and ended up a check in agent for 4 years :uhoh:

Anyway like I say, not sure if it's something I'd go into, but I would never want to dismiss it.

I am abit of a strange one, I write alot of lists and plan my day accordingly. I like things done at certain times etc but sometimes I do have the odd right yes I'll do this or that and just go for it. Some of the best decisions I ever made are through doing that!

Genghis the Engineer
12th Aug 2012, 10:27
To just become an instructor, I'd say it's not quite as bad as Jock suggests:

PPL - £8k
Hour build - £15k
CPL writtens - £2k
Instructor course - £6k
Medical - £500

£32k or so.

If you want to be a microlight instructor only cheaper still:

PPL - £5k
Hour build - £10k
Instructor course - £4k
"Medical" - £10.

£19k or so, and it pays better as well, plus provides good opportunities to start your own business that are less there in the light aircraft world although realistically at-least £10k investment in an aeroplane and a few other oddments is going to be needed to do that.

G

N.B.

Typical flying school light aeroplane (typically 30+ years old)
http://www.learntoflybecomeapilot.com/images/c150.jpg

Typical microlight school 3-axis aeroplane (typically less than 10 years old)
http://www.pilotfriend.com/experimental/images5/34.jpg

As you can see, you're quite right and microlights are much cruder still :E

JimA_UK
12th Aug 2012, 11:13
Liz,
There is a lot of good advice that you have already received on your post, perhaps my two-pence worth might be helpful.

I obtained my PPL(A) after retiring in 2001 and continue to fly both out of Barton and Liverpool. I personally do not like Pipers because they generally only have one door at the front. I need to assist my wife into and out of the aircraft and this is very tricky with one door. Also, if I ever had to make a precautionary landing it would be impossible for me (sat in the left seat) to get out!

I started learning at Liverpool but finished my training at Barton (with LAC). I personally never take passengers from Barton because it is very bumpy, preferring instead to take them out of Liverpool.

Mainair at Barton are considerably cheaper than LAC or the Flight Academy at Barton. But you are looking at the microlight type of aircraft. Louis Blanchett is one of their instructors, I know him very well and did my PPL(A) completion with him - can't recommend him highly enough.

Lomac Aviators at Liverpool is a very friendly place and Neil Hazlehust is a very good instructor.

I know all the instructors at LAC Barton, Martin is good, but so to are Francis and Tony. I did my PPL flight test with Francis and she is excellent.

The costs of becoming a Commercial pilot have been understated in previous posts and those who have the qualifications still can not get a job. I know commercial pilots, one or two trained with me and the cost is between £70K-£100k.

I used to have a share in a Cessna 172 at Barton but this has been sold, so at present I operate via Lomac and SMAC (Southport & Mereyside Aero Club) aircraft at Liverpool.

There are advantages with Barton, much more friendly than Liverpool, no commercial traffic to concern you, much more a General Aviation airport. Disadvantages are it is grass and very bumpy, and they use FISO's (Flight Information Service Officers). This means that Air Traffic Control (FISO's) give you limited information and instructions. Fuel at Barton is also much more expensive than at other airports.

Liverpool is less friendly but tarmac runway (much longer than those at Barton), full Air Traffic Control and you are "mixing" with Ryan Air and Easy Jet. Really it all depends on your preference.

Hope the above is helpful, if you want any more information then PM me.

mad_jock
12th Aug 2012, 11:47
Its not 70k plus modular as I said you need to sit down and look at the options.

I am a commercial pilot and it cost me 35k including instructor rating back in 2001 and I am employed and have been since license issue.

BroomstickPilot
12th Aug 2012, 12:02
Hi Liz,

Be a bit careful. Barton has been an excellent place to train for very many years. I got my own PPL there in 1960! However, I believe Manchester Corporation has recently had to sell off the aerodrome to big business interests, who wish to turn it into 'Manchester City Airport' and bring in a lot of commercial air transport.

Whenever this happens, general aviation usually becomes unwelcome and gets the boot or else has to pay exorbitant aerodrome costs. I doubt if the change of ownership at Barton has gone live yet, but you need to ask what is the current status of this process. (Actually, I was under the impression that LAC in particular had already decamped to Harwarden in Wales; anybody know anything)?

Secondly, why you should use a credit card. If you fly 'Group A' aircraft, just about every flying lesson will cost more than £100, (usually a lot more than £100). If you should be scammed in some way, as long as the credit card purchase has been over £100, if you can't get redress from the supplier, you can claim against the credit card company. With a debit card you can not. That's why you should use a credit card. This becomes even more important if you should eventually decide to train outside the UK, (in the States for example).

Good luck Kid,

BP.

charliejulietwhiskey
12th Aug 2012, 12:20
Broomstick

You're nine years out of the loop!

Barton was purchased by Peel Holdings in 2003 and it is called City Airport Manchester although we don't call it that.

LAC are still here, not sure of that rumour either.

It does seem Peel are continuing to invest in the aerodrome new hangars, drainage etc plus we have the new clubhouse.

Personally I think once you learn to take off and land from Barton you're pretty much sure of operating from anywhere given the grass runways and close proximity to restricted airspace, all good for learning a bit of disipline!

JimA_UK
12th Aug 2012, 12:43
Should you doubt the cost and availability of jobs for commercial pilots, when you take your trail lesson talk to Rob on the LAC desk, he aspires to become a Commercial Pilot and you can get it straight from him. The costs of training are a part of the costs, but there are greater demands on your cash. Ryan Air recently advertised but if you were accepted then you had to find £27K.

Do not confuse LAC Flying Club with LAC (Lancs Aero Club). Peel Holdings have the Development rights at Barton. It is felt by some that the Media City at Salford would increase aircraft (probably helicopters) movements - time will tell.

At the last check a one hour lesson at LAC was £170 plus VAT and plus other charges!

Lizz
12th Aug 2012, 14:28
Thanks for the info, always good to know these things.
Like I've mentioned previously, I booked my trail lesson with LAC, while there I will have a nosy about and find the best option should I wish to start lessons (which I can't imagine I wouldn't) I'll make an informed decision about who to go with after I've got a bit of a better feel for the place.

As for the commercial aspect, be it 35k or 100k if I so wish to go down that road then I'd accept that the money comes with it. I've always said it costs alot but if you make it you'll forget all about it. And I bet there's very few people who regret spending the money anyway to be able to fly.

newaviator
12th Aug 2012, 15:31
Barton - bumpy runway .... its grass it wont be like a billiard table. Try
Blackpool runway 28 more bumps than a roller coaster and thats asphalt/tarmac.

Give me 27L/09R at Barton any day.... ;) Alot to be said for learning at a grass runway airfield.......

Lizz
12th Aug 2012, 17:39
Can the bumps really be any worse than the pot holes in the roads? ;)

In my mind as long as it's remotely flat with nothing really to bump into I'm good :ok:

Crash one
12th Aug 2012, 19:28
Can the bumps really be any worse than the pot holes in the roads? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

In my mind as long as it's remotely flat with nothing really to bump into I'm good http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Good attitude, Get your licence then go for a taildragger.:ok:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
12th Aug 2012, 20:25
That's it Crash One! Barton's runway are fine for PPL; better than a big airport as you won't be fazed by short grass strips once you qualify. The only problem is the field does close occasionally in winter due waterlogging.

Crash one
12th Aug 2012, 20:37
I've never been to Barton but I fly out of 620 metres grass. Went to Leuchars Mil on Monday & felt like I was decending for ever into a black tarmac hole. Not used to the perspective.