PDA

View Full Version : Ground "hi-jack" at Marseille/Marignane

sitigeltfel
10th Aug 2012, 07:57
This is not a thread I normally venture into but thought you freight guys might want to see this.

Marseille | Un avion braqué en pleine nuit à l'aéroport | La Provence (http://www.laprovence.com/article/a-la-une/un-avion-braque-en-pleine-nuit-a-laeroport)

For non French speakers, bandits rammed the fence early yesterday morning and held up the crew and baggage handlers of a recently arrived cargo aircraft. When they discovered nothing of value on board, they robbed the crew, made their getaway, and burned out the (presumably stolen) car.
Police are blaming the security lapse on the outsourcing of security to private companies. Airport management are refusing to comment, citing the secrecy of the investigation.

zerozero
10th Aug 2012, 09:11
Personally I'm more concerned about undeclared Haz Mat and Lithium Batteries (declared and otherwise), to be perfectly honest.

But I appreciate your contribution nevertheless.

:)

By the way, a "ground hijack" in English is technically referred to as a "commandeering".

Example:
"The aircraft was commandeered at the gate but the authorities were able to take control of the situation."

Pedantic, I admit, but this is Pprune after all!
:8

Shytehawk
10th Aug 2012, 09:55
ZeroZero,

You come out with total garbage. To commandeer is to "take over by the legitimate civil or military authority" Please do not confuse American with English.

zerozero
10th Aug 2012, 11:19
News Flash! We speak English in America. Unfortunately the native languages have been mostly forgotten.

At any rate, yes, you're correct that is ONE sense of the verb to commandeer, but lo and behold my English friend, there is yet another...

commandeer - definition of commandeer by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/commandeer)

1. To force into military service.
2. To seize for military use; confiscate.
3. To take arbitrarily or by force.

Commandeer is the correct term to describe the action of taking an aircraft by force whether for military service or otherwise.

LANGUAGE IS DYNAMIC AND FLEXIBLE.
:hmm:

PURPLE PITOT
10th Aug 2012, 11:23
English (Queens) is not!

salad-dodger
10th Aug 2012, 11:51
We speak English in America.
The only people I've ever heard speak English in the USA are English!

S-D

zerozero
10th Aug 2012, 11:55
Anglo-Saxon - The History of English (1/10) - YouTube

Dave Barnshaw
10th Aug 2012, 11:55
Zerozero is correct,your comment on his post only justifies your name.:=

ironbutt57
10th Aug 2012, 12:33
Posts here reinforce my reasoning that instead of bombing the Krauts, the Yanks should have built them a bridge across the channel

PURPLE PITOT
10th Aug 2012, 12:54
Perhaps, but they turned up too late for that!:O

JW411
10th Aug 2012, 15:15
And not for the first time.

nitro rig driver
10th Aug 2012, 15:27
So the word "hijack" describes what happened correctly then..

As you quoted from this source..

hi·jack also high·jack (hhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/imacr.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifjhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/abreve.gifkhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/lprime.gif) Informal
tr.v. hi·jacked also high·jacked, hi·jack·ing also high·jack·ing, hi·jacks also high·jacks 1. a. To stop and rob (a vehicle in transit).
b. To steal (goods) from a vehicle in transit.
c. To seize control of (a moving vehicle) by use of force, especially in order to reach an alternate destination.

2. a. To steal from as if by hijacking.
b. To swindle or subject to extortion

hijack - definition of hijack by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hijack)

Although how you hijack a broswer or a computer beats me ????

beerdrinker
10th Aug 2012, 15:29
The only people I've ever heard speak English in the USA are English!

Not true I believe. Don't the Bostonians and others in that part of the States speak a more grammatically correct English. We tease them for "gotten" but that is a correct past tense of the verb "got". Their lack of pronunciation of the "H" in "herb" is also more grammatically correct (from the French herbe pronounced without an H).

UK English has moved on - sometimes in bad way - innit.

We can and should thank the cousins for keeping English as it should be spoken (sometimes!!!!)

BD

KBPsen
10th Aug 2012, 15:35
English (Queens) is not! Is that the English spoken in the easternmost of the five boroughs?

Englisc sy ne sum ábýgendlic ágenspræc, is how it would be if English was not a flexible and dynamic language.

P.S. Isn't modern English mostly a bastardised version of French?

sitigeltfel
10th Aug 2012, 16:14
Why, oh why did I bother ? :ugh:

Shytehawk
10th Aug 2012, 16:44
From the OED (Oxford English Dictionary)

Definition of commandeer

verb
[with object]
officially take possession or control of (something), especially for military purposes: a nearby house had been commandeered by the army

take possession of (something) by force: the truck was commandeered by a mob

[with object and infinitive] enlist (someone) to help in a task: he commandeered the men to find a table

Origin:

early 19th century: from Afrikaans kommandeer, from Dutch commanderen, from French commander 'to command' (see command)

Note the very important first word " officially"

Also from the OED

Definition of hijack

verb
[with object]
illegally seize (an aircraft, ship, or vehicle) while in transit and force it to go to a different destination or use it for one’s own purposes: a man armed with grenades hijacked the jet yesterday

steal (goods) by seizing them in transit: the UN convoys have been tamely allowing gunmen to hijack relief supplies

take over (something) and use it for a different purpose: he argues that pressure groups have hijacked the environmental debate

noun

an incident or act of hijacking: [as modifier]: an unsuccessful hijack attempt

Derivatives

hijacker
noun

Origin:

1920s (originally US): of unknown origin

Also note the very important first word "illegally".

QED

wizzkid
10th Aug 2012, 17:44
Honestly... Who give's a s.hit about the grammatical or linguistic correctness of the wording of the initial post, the point was made and I undrestood it, a non-native english speaker and clearly. You yanks and pommies want to re-enact war of independence of words, you can play Washington and Corwallis in JB. Just my two pence worth hey.

2 Whites 2 Reds
15th Aug 2012, 20:54
Well said wizzkid......

As a someone that fly's into MRS with another Freight Operator this is frightening stuff.

Pack in the dick measuring over the grammar and let's have a serious discussion. Some of my colleagues / friends will have been down there at or around the time this happened.

Having both day stopped and passed through MRS many times with work, I seem to remember the perimeter fence not being overy substantial around the Cargo section down by 13L. Although I'm usually very much ready for bed by the time I see it so correct me if I'm wrong on that one. Quite a bold plan by the thugs that carried out the robbery but it should never have got that far.

2W2R

doublestory
16th Aug 2012, 12:27
You seem to have made a spelling mistake in 'overly' :rolleyes: