PDA

View Full Version : Whats the rules for low fyling choppers

Brightonhippy
9th Aug 2012, 15:02
:uhoh:
Some pratt has just overflown my house twice in a robinson seemingly lower than the usual police helicopter :(
Coming over low once annoying doing it again taking the mick a bit.
Its not even a decent helicopter :) the harvard and the tiger moth that fly about are cool. Tiny little helicopters arnt cool a scouts cool anything smaller than thats a bit pointless.

B2N2
9th Aug 2012, 15:28
http://www.zerkelmotorwerks.com/stuff7/litcat.jpg

Torque Tonight
9th Aug 2012, 15:58
In addition to the very valid post above, if you look out the window you'll notice that the weather is crap. It is likely that the helicopter(s) were forced down low by weather. Why the (s) after helicopter? A little before you made your post I watched a pair of small helicopters in a very loose battle formation (Alouette 2s I think) heading east from your area at low level.

I suspect that what you saw was not some pratt in a Robinson overflying you twice for a laugh, but two professional pilots in Alouettes trying to pick their way through crappy weather to get to the air display at Eastbourne.

They only had nice things to say about you though.

Jan Olieslagers
9th Aug 2012, 16:09
Lovely, TT! And I beg B2N2's permission to use the picture he posted in similar situations.

LysanderV8
9th Aug 2012, 17:00
Well said TT. I went down to Shoreham to fly and on arrival the sea fog was rolling in and stayed.

So I cleaned the aircraft instead, so all was not lost.

The display pilots waiting to go from Shoreham were a bit frustrated and there was no chance of some of the others, like the Blades, getting in.

One of the perils of an airfield on the coast in nice sunny weather ...

Crash one
9th Aug 2012, 17:45
What is the point of trying to promote GA?:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Its not even a decent helicopter http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif the harvard and the tiger moth that fly about are cool. Tiny little helicopters arnt cool a scouts cool anything smaller than thats a bit pointless.

Brightonhippy
9th Aug 2012, 17:52
Nah it wasnt an aloutte or two it was one git doing a circuit in clear weather inland enough to avoid the fog.
One pass fair enough coming round for another circuit taking the piss.:(

Police helicopters annoying enough without joyriders joining in.:*

Heston
9th Aug 2012, 20:27
Brightonhippy = poor choice of handle, hippies are supposed to be laid back and relaxed (or too bombed out of their minds to notice things like helicopters). Anyway you ain't old enough to be one.

H

B2N2
9th Aug 2012, 20:52
http://usahitman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/blackhelicoptersbelieve.jpg

carlmeek
10th Aug 2012, 03:56
I isn't easy to judge height of aircraft Passing overhead, even for pilots that sit at air strips regularly and observe.

In my experience, non pilots regularly accuse aircraft of being too low, even when they are operating clearly within the law. I would be very surprised if this one is any different.

I saw two paramotors operating at about 100ft over the seafront road at roedean the other day.... Not sure how they figured this was legal!

patowalker
10th Aug 2012, 06:33
... and some misinterpret the 500 ft rule, confusing proximity with height.

Crash one
10th Aug 2012, 08:59
Maybe he was just taking the piss:cool:

PURPLE PITOT
10th Aug 2012, 11:43
Wheres the "like" button?

carlmeek
10th Aug 2012, 13:21
All those helicopters and planes flying around, it's an accident waiting to happen.

:)

And you can keep your fyl away from my chopper

Crash one
10th Aug 2012, 18:39
... and some misinterpret the 500 ft rule, confusing proximity with height.

Does a road amount to a "structure"?

Prop swinger
10th Aug 2012, 19:06
I wasn't there, I don't know what carlmeek saw but if he didn't hear the engines there's a very real chance that they were paragliders soaring the cliffs & therefore exempt from low flying rules.

znww5
10th Aug 2012, 19:30
Either way, I think the phrase 'teg a file' springs to mind. :rolleyes:

patowalker
10th Aug 2012, 21:11
Does a road amount to a "structure"?

No, but sometimes they have vehicles and persons on them. :)

I wasn't suggesting anybody on here misinterpreted the rules, but was referring to non-pilots who complain about low flying.

carlmeek
11th Aug 2012, 03:24
I know we are drifting from the original topic a bit.... But the paramotors were low enough to see a rather large desk fan strapped to their backs :)

goldeneaglepilot
11th Aug 2012, 11:27
Yep, take Rule 5 to its word (500' from any.....) and an aircraft could be any height and comply, I can't remember it saying you must be 500' agl.

Tay Cough
11th Aug 2012, 12:44
Yep, take Rule 5 to its word (500' from any.....) and an aircraft could be any height and comply, I can't remember it saying you must be 500' agl.

Beware the Enforcement Branch tunnel rats who lurk 10' below the surface.... :E

PURPLE PITOT
11th Aug 2012, 12:49
Carb icing is the standard defence:ok: