PDA

View Full Version : Flying single props into LAX?

lukep95
7th Aug 2012, 08:36
Came across this video on Youtube, a guy flying a Cessna into LAX - Cessna 182T: Landing KLAX! - YouTube

Anyone got any further information on this? Do you not need an IR rating? Landing fee etc?

Definitely something I'd love to do after passing!

englishal
7th Aug 2012, 11:40
IFR is easier, ask for 25L (so you don't have to taxi across all the runways), $20 or so.....

Then again Hawthorne is right next door ;)

dublinpilot
7th Aug 2012, 11:54
Why would you need an IR? Isn't it class B?

I believe that there is a landing fee, but it's relatively minor (but seems to put off American pilots who aren't used to landing fees.)

EA is probably right about the fee.

172driver
7th Aug 2012, 12:35
No IR required, but as EA says, easier. Class B, so PPL (no student cert), that's it. Seeing where you live - have you done one of the overhead transit routes? Cool stuff :ok:

dublinpilot
7th Aug 2012, 12:50
Having looked at the video now, I see that the flight was in cloud, so an IR would have been required for this flight, but no reason why you can't do it in VFR conditions without an IR.

englishal
7th Aug 2012, 13:33
In the LA class B you can request a "tower en-route" IFR clearance, even from the ground at a nearby airport (Santa Ana for example as this is probably the OP's local apt) which is very simple to do. There might be some delays due to traffic but you can be sat at the end of the runway waiting for your clearance.

Once you get your IFR clearance, off you go and you'll probably be vectored straight onto a final appoach between the heavy jets. VFR is more complicated and you could end up hanging around for a while waiting for your clearance as you will have to fit in between the big boys (rather than them fitting in around you ;) ). At least IFR then seperation services will be provided! Plus shooting the approach at 100kts+ would be more appreciated than flying a 70 kt long final or you might end up with a 747 up the jacksy.

The international terminal has a helipad on the roof and it is easy to fly in by helicopter VFR. All the VFR crossings are fun and great for getting north of LA without any hassle. Wish London had some.

AdamFrisch
7th Aug 2012, 15:15
They will most likely turn you away VFR during the day, but late evening and nights you'll get in, for sure. LAX calms down after around midnight.

But try the Mini-Route at 2500ft above the rwy's. Just pick up a clearance from Santa Monica (or Hawthorne if you're coming from the south) and then talk to LAX tower, read the published route and you're good to go. I normally take people who are new to LA on that route early evenings. They always get impressed by seeing A380's and 747's land right underneath.

n5296s
7th Aug 2012, 16:07
I've been into LAX a couple of times in my 182 - it was a few years back (~2004) so it's worth checking to see whether things have changed. There was no landing fee, just a modest handling fee from the FBO ($60 or so) - which they waived the second time because I slipped climbing onto their truck and they were visibly terrified that I'd sue them. One thing to watch is that there is no Avgas there. I was the ONLY small plane on the whole field, and they parked me tucked around the back where nobody would see my plane!

First time was IMC. The second time was VFR, they just had me fly downwind until they could slot me in. It was fun taxiing between the rows of 747s! Absolutely no hassle or problem either time.

Here's a picture of my plane hiding (I've never figured out how to include a picture in the post itself):

Hiding at LAX | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://flic.kr/p/5hKKzL)

Mark 1
7th Aug 2012, 16:36
I'm based about 4 miles away at Hawthorne and have no desire to go in to LAX.
I think it is about $50 now and there are typically 8-10 aircraft on final approach at any time during the main working day.

The mini-route and the SFRA procedures will get you a bird's eye view of the airport with little formality. SFRA doesn't even need a clearance so long as you stick to the procedure on the TAC.

Avgas isn't available and handling may be expensive, so HHR or SMO are better choices for GA to get into the area. Hawthorne has got back its simultaneous approach approval for the localiser, so you can approach parallel and about a mile offset from the nearest LAX traffic, but a bit lower.

jecuk
7th Aug 2012, 17:18
Is a great experience going into one of these airports though. I loved being on final into Sydney Airport in a Duchess with a 747 on final into the other runway.

AdamFrisch
7th Aug 2012, 18:01
If you want to mingle with the big boys in LA, just pop down to Orange County (John Wayne Airport) and you'll get your fill. Last time I was following a 737, "caution wake turbulence", and chased by a 757. Complete with the extortionate handling at Signature. Or you can do Burbank, but they have less big guns.

lukep95
7th Aug 2012, 22:00
KSNA is where I train so I'm used to that Airport now. I've had a low wake turbulence encounter just coming approaching the numbers. Scary but brilliant lesson!

Thanks for everyone's responses. Once I pass I'll look into the Mini-Route, I've seen it done a bit. Then one night in good conditions fly into LAX! I really want to get in when a Speedbird or Virgin is on Frequency. Nothing like hearing some of the lads from home over here :-)

englishal
8th Aug 2012, 10:25
f you want to mingle with the big boys in LA, just pop down to Orange County (John Wayne Airport) and you'll get your fill. Last time I was following a 737, "caution wake turbulence", and chased by a 757. Complete with the extortionate handling at Signature. Or you can do Burbank, but they have less big guns.
SNA is a good airport. Approaching from the N VFR they (used to anyway) get you to fly over the airport at about 1500' before joining downwind on 19L (I think it is). 19L has a modified base pattern due to the parallel 19R which is pretty close, and once you're on final for 19L you have all manner of 737's, 757,s etc overtaking you on the parallel 19R final approach. Kind of scary the first time a 757 shoots by you! I just landed, taxied back and got a clearance to take off again, no charge (in fact you could do ccts there for no charge). The take off from 19L requires an immediate left turn or else you may end up with a 757 up your arse!

The USA is a totally different flying experience. Flying past SNA just along the coast a while back and you can watch the airliners departing towards you. We were at 2500' and a 737 just departed. ATC limited him to 2000' due to us and we had this nice picture of a 737 going straight underneath. Try that around Gatwick....