PDA

View Full Version : AS 350 - what to look out for when buying

Goody35
6th Aug 2012, 06:23
Plan to buy one later in the year . Yes we will use an expert to help with sourcing but as a novice any advice would be appreciated. What engines cause trouble, back up service etc any tips appreciated. Have a budget of circa $1.2m US , will buy a single engine model.

Cheers

Never in Balance
6th Aug 2012, 07:17
Hi Goody,
Will you be using this for private or commercial use?
I've most flown the Lycoming LTS Super D's and D2's. I've found them to be very good engines and burn less fuel then the Arriel (depending on how you fly them).

As you know there are many variants of the AS350's, so it really depends on what you are looking to do with it, you've chosen a good airframe in my opinion.

Good luck.

CYHeli
6th Aug 2012, 10:14
A good broker will find them all over the world. Don't be surprised if they point you towards one from Ireland or Greece. These countries are examples of economies that are struggling somewhat and I have seen a very cheap AS350 come from Ireland. Good condition too. I have heard of others as part of a fire sale.
Now please don't flame me for using Ireland and Greece as examples, and I am not saying they are the only place with cheap aircraft, it's just a personal observation recently, I wish both countries an improvement.

Think about what you want to do with it. Sounds obvious, but a B3 will cost more to run than a BA/Sd2, so if you are only private the B3 might be too expensive to run. Although if you can find a B3 at 1.2 M then please let me know... :D

Goody35
6th Aug 2012, 10:51
Short trips , sightseeing and island hopping. Mostly transferring pax from one resort to another across water..approx 8nm between an island base on one resort and 25nm to the other . Will buy an R44 clipper for smaller transfers and really short sightseeing stuff so we're not penalised by start ups and shut downs.

As we will be based on a tiny island in the Pacific surrounded by water any concerns with rust and tips to care for the machine?

Is the original French engine the one to avoid because of slack back up service with turn around time on spares? I read somewhere there were some issues way back with one of the engines ..think it was lycoming..anyone shed any light on the engine and how far back this was?

Any common parts that let go we should keep as spares ? Will employ a LAME but for now any suggestion helping this novice kindly appreciated

Can someone please quickly explain the difference between the various models

RVDT
6th Aug 2012, 11:13
W.I.K.I.P.E.D.I.A? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocopter_AS350)

Dose with a pinch of salt first as some of the info is not very accurate.

Or you could just pay me $$$$$$$ :rolleyes:

eunecte
6th Aug 2012, 14:03
If you are only moving PAX you should look to AS350 D or BA+. Both are Lycoming engine.
AS350 D = 4300lbs max gross If my memorie is good.
AS350 BA+ = 4960 LBS max gross

Almost the same engine just an upgrade one same power but with most of the new SB on for the BA+.
You have around 2000lbs of payload with the AS350 BA+ and the DOC is almost the same as the AS350D. Lot's of D model converted to BA+.

As a AME I prefer the Lycoming over the Arriel because you can do almost all the maintenance on it. I heard that it's cheaper to operate, around 50 $ less an hour.

With a Lycoming if you don't pull to much power you can get 3,5 to 4 hours of flight with 1 full tank. The arriel engine are not good at low power setting for fuel economy because of the bleedvalve. So if you run a low power this bleed valve is always open and you burn lot's of fuel for nothing.

For the corrosion here in Canada we don't have that problem. So not able to help you for that.

nigelh
6th Aug 2012, 14:26
Dont buy a 350 . Get either BA or B2 . If at all possible do not get Arriel engine , it will ruin your day when you get a $200k invoice when it goes wrong !!
( personally i would have thought a good LongRanger would have been a much better option for luggage , pax and cost .

Goody35
6th Aug 2012, 23:49
Thanks much appreciated great info

Goody35
6th Aug 2012, 23:51
What in your opinion, are the benefits of a Long Ranger for our type of use? I hadn't considered the Bell

Saint Jack
7th Aug 2012, 02:01
Goody35: Listen to 'nigelh' and seriously consider the Bell LongRanger. A good 206L3 with emergency floats and airconditioning is well within your budget and has sufficient performance to operate in your area with a decent passenger load. If you can stretch your budget slightly (only 'slightly'), an L4 will give you better performance margins on hot days. Avoid the 206L (under-powered) and the 206L1 (marginal power on hot days), Note that there is no 206L2, the sequence goes 206L, 206L1, 206L3 and 206L4.

It's a well known fact in the commercial helicopter business that the product support of both Eurocopter and Turbomeca are somewhat lacking, whereas Bell Helicopter has been at the top of product support surveys for about fifteen years.

Never in Balance
7th Aug 2012, 03:17
Also could the budget be stretched to a B407?

as350nut
7th Aug 2012, 06:44
Sorry don't agree with Longranger over AS350, currently Bell is slowing down on part availability to cut costs, the L4 hasn't got the pax comfort or visability of the BA. Whilst it flys better tham the JR its still not as smooth as the BA either. There will always be good and bad points for each but I would rather fly a BA or B2 any day over the L3/4. Turbomeca is a pain, but the engine is very reliable. Ask anybody who paid big money for a JR a few years ago and see how they feel now, with the way prices have dropped, the opposite can be said for the BA which has held up very well, there is a reason for that.

canterbury crusader
7th Aug 2012, 07:09
The only machine you should be considering is the Longranger. For short flights you will fit 6 small to mid sized Pax - Not very comfortable but doable (6 up/5 no problem) and it does depend on size of them.

An L1 with the C30P conversion would be fine and most have this done- You wont temp out ever!

You would have a 500kg payload after fuel, pilot and floats with enough fuel to get one way on your 25Nm island hop.

Generally reliable, cheaper to operate than a AS350. Smoother (if well set up nothing is smoother). Not as fast as a squirrel but over short distances wont make any significant difference and keep in mind whatever you choose will, for the time being, be the only option so people will just get in it.

An air filter for the engine will pay for itself many times over regardless of the machine you choose stopping both salt and sand.

If the whole thing is a tax right-off or a small part of a larger money making exercise you couldn't go past the 407 (genuine 7 seater).

Saint Jack
7th Aug 2012, 09:51
A 407 in preference to a 206L3 or L4 would certainly top any wish-list but the faster speed and more comfortable cabin - it's wider and slightly taller than the LongRanger for the same number of seats - does not always justify the significant price jump.

The cabin layout of the LongRanger and 407 permits all passengers have a very good view out of the ‘opposite’ side. The bulkhead and control tunnel behind the crew seats resultsin a limited forward view, but my experience with LongRangers is that passengers are not concerned with this. The ‘cosy’ passenger seating arrangement makes passenger interaction easier (the laughing and squealing of a group of friendsor relatives on a sight-seeing flight can often drown out the helicopter noise!).

Another distinct advantage of the LongRanger and 407 passenger cabin is that it is virtually impossible for a passenger in the rear cabin to interfere with the pilot, this would be very easy in the ‘open plan’ arrangement of the AS350 Series.

You may hear some over-eager pro-Eurocopter people saying that aft-facing passengers in the LongRanger and 407 are prone to air-sickness. Again, from my experience with LongRangers, it does occasionally happen but I feel it affects a person who would be airsick no matter which seat they occupy, or whichever helicopter type they’re flying in.

Parts availability for all of the LongRanger versions is not an issue. Furthermore, a point that is often overlooked is the fact that the Bell airframes and engines generally required a fewer special tools for field maintenance than their contemporaries.

At themoment, it’s unlikely that Goody35 would find a suitable 407 that fits his budget. If he did, it’s likely that the helicopter has a number of high-time components and the remaining life would not permit him to accumulate an adequate overhaul/repair fund before replacements and/or repairs became due.

Go for a206L3 or if your budget is flexible, a 206L4.

Goody35
7th Aug 2012, 10:27
Thanks guys for your input ..always interesting reading the various opinions as to what machine suits various tasks and why.

Down in this part of the world most commercial passenger operations either use an R44 or one of the AS350 variants...no idea why , but in NZ Long Rangers are almost no existant hence it wasn't something I'd considered .

Finding a LAME qualified to work on a Long Ranger in Fiji where we are setting up the service may be an issue. As far as I'm aware there are only 2 MD500's and 6 AS350 variants in Fiji at present..that's it for the whole country chopper wise.

I'll run off and and read up specs and prices . Great advice with regards to the air filter ..thanks

nuthin
7th Aug 2012, 15:50
Most 206B/Ls have been replaced by R44s in NZ because they were just doing pax transfers anyway and the R44 can do it cheaper.
The 206s still flying in NZ are doing Ag work or are private machines owned by people who wont fly in a 44.

The cheap AS350s from Japan have helped make them common in NZ over the years.

You are entering a buyers market but all too soon you may find yourself a seller.
With that in mind look for a low timed example that does not have a history near the beach or any other corrosive environment. Corrosion applies to the airframe as well as engine so get a compressor wash kit if you can so you can routinely flush the engine.
Ensure you have good hangarage and an anti corrosion program. A buyer will look for that.
For an AS350 B/D try and get one with the 4 point hook already in place I second the IBF filter.
Remember the rotorhead overhaul cost are quite different from the B/Ba to the B2.

The resource sector world wide is still going strong and AS350B/BAs/Ds are being converted relatively fast to SD2s. That leaves less and less Bs.

If there are already AS350s in Fiji with engineers already available then I think the decision is already made.

SuperF
8th Aug 2012, 11:00
i doubt that the current operators would be overly helpful to what would probably be seen as a competitor setting up shop. not having a go at IH, or anyone else, dont know them at all, but a very small island with limited heli operators, i think only one operator?? maybe two now, probably wouldnt be loaning out their engineer to help the new guy.

maybe im wrong, but would plan on having to get engineer over from NZ or OZ for servicing, or else compete with PNG re wages for them...

Another benefit of an LR is that you will slide the 44 and LR in the hanger space that a 350 would take. and Bell arent winding down support for their products, you can still buy factory new parts for the 204, which is 20-30 yrs older than a LR???

For Fiji, i'd go for an LR, similar to the squirrel, there are good and bad points for both, however it will be the only one in country, which can have its benefits. can also have negatives, but having one AS350 when the other guys have 6 can have negatives as well...

Anthony Supplebottom
8th Aug 2012, 11:10
Go for a 407 and you will never look back.

Remember the Auckland Astar and the ground resonance incident in Brazil and how the cabs of both helis just "fell off"? Well, that won't happen to you in your 407.

Smooth, fast and sturdy and best of all - reliable back up from Bell.

nigelh
8th Aug 2012, 11:50
I hear what you say but a 407 will be double the price of an L3 . The L3 has one extra pax to the 350 and will be a LOT cheaper to operate . All of these machines are ultra smooth when balanced properly so that is not an issue .

That lights normal!
9th Aug 2012, 00:37
If you are carrying bags as well as pax: I'd suggest the only machine that will do the job is an AS350 variant with "Squirrel Cheeks" (Dart or American Eurocopter baggage extenders – CAN”T BE FITTED WITH SLIDING DOORS).
(I’ve flown these machines on Tourist Transport ops in Fiji)

As to your Q re AS350 models:
AS350B (1950kg MTOW, Older design blades)
AS350BA (2100kg {but typically 50kg heaver MT, so 100kg/1 pax improvement} MTOW, 355 Blades, more grunt}
AS350B2 (2200?kg, more grunt) There were a few B1s - 1/2 way between BA&B2
AS350B3 (Same MTOW?, more grunt again. {FADEC and electronics, not universally accepted as superior})
AS350B3e – out of your price range.
To sum up: More useful load costs more to buy and operate.
Work out your requirements re pax/bags/fuel weight......

The Lycoming engined equivalents (approximate equivalents) use a "Super D" instead of "B" in the name.EG “AS350 Super D2” is a Lycoming LTS101 powered version of an AS350B2

The Lycomings were originally faulty, and coined the name "Falling Star" (for the original AS350D "Astar") (Killed the B222 BTW)

With a replacement design for one "wheel" and specific operating procedures, the Lycomings are now considered great motors. Better fuel consumption, lower costs, but in my limited experience, not as sharp on FCU control of RRPM.

I’d rather fly a French engine. I’d rather own an American engine.
I’d rather fly a Squirrel. I’d rather own (or crash) a Bell.

I hope this helps.

"Are you sure that low fuel light should be on?"*

*tragic Fijian "in joke"........."

Goody35
9th Aug 2012, 10:32
Excellent thanks Nuthin ....Wasn't aware of the availability of a flush kit ..great advice.

What anti corrosion sprays do most people use? Also for an AS 350 is there such a thing as protective tapes that can be placed on leading edge of blades and tail rotors. There has been some success with these on R44's I understand ; albeit Robinson aren't endorsing them.

Goody35
9th Aug 2012, 10:43
Cheers ...never seen the baggage pods on a Squirrel.... very handy to know. I flew a 44 with them mounted and found them very handy. Thanks for info on the models ..makes it so much easier to digest all the model numbers when seen on that format. Starting to get a feel from all the reading now that Lycoming engines are the way to go .seems the comments echoed in here reflect the reading I've been doing over the past few days.

You'd prob know the answer to this ..presume you flew for Island Hoppers in Fiji ...We used one of their AS350's to medevac a customer off the island ..they flew out with a stretcher in situ laying beside the pilot on the floor. Is much of a mod required for the fitting of the stretcher and are purpose built seats required to replace the factory seats in order to get them out in a timely manner to fit the stretcher or do operators simply unbolt the existing seats?

victor papa
9th Aug 2012, 11:49
Have you looked at a 130? Get one with Squirrel cheeks and you have 6 pax + luggage. There are a few good second hand ones available with the T2 coming out soon. You have a litter stretcher for the 130 for which you just remove the 3rd front seat and it clamps onto the rear support and seat rails. Maintenance is less than a 350 due the fenestron(1000hrs) and dual hydraulics. 150hr/1 yr instead of 100hr and then 600hr is your Basic inspection. Max internal is 2427 so you score 180kgs. Do not believe the under powered stories as ours operate hot and high EMS with longgg legs to do and we have not recorded a overlimit so yes she likes the yellow caution range when hot and high and heavy but red we havent seen and we have not missed a mission.

Engine is on 600hr inspection only except for the 30hr/50hr power chk(flick a switch on collective) and mag plug chk or something like that. Dual FADEC nothing to stuff up by plt system. There is a difference in performance over the years although the graphs remained the same, but our 2002 model do what the new ones do just a bit more yellow range and no problem.

For tourist and a bit of everything I do not think anything comes close to the 130 and your neighbours will love you for not waking the island up when you fly as you will have the quietest heli around. The 130's price range is very competitive secondhand so maybe just have a look? Engineers should not be an issue, I know of 1 or 2 in your country with 130 lic and experience and afterall she is a 350 with a fenestron

That lights normal!
9th Aug 2012, 12:35
No special seats required. One of the Squirrels features is that all the seats come out relatively easily for configuration changes. You sit on the structure in a Bell 206 (series)

To be certified, you would need a “stretcher kit” and matching stretcher.
There are many options – all ridiculously priced, I’m sure.
Probably plenty for sale SH, as the world moves on from EMS Squirrels.

The two LH rear seats are usually removed – sometimes replaced with very short seats for the Medic/DR to sit at the patients head.

I believe one of the Island Hopper kits was manufactured and “certified” locally.

I flew many Medevacs in Fiji – Latoka Hospital (House of Death). Suava “Don’t land on the roof, because ‘something’ might happen” Hospital.

Good luck.

Watch the rapidly changing weather. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that some rain is too heavy to fly through.

nuthin
9th Aug 2012, 16:43
Blade tape will probably come off in a tropical downpour and you will lose a little lift. The stainless leading edge will suffice I think. The R44 we had in BC lost its blade tape after a week of BC rain.

The R44 has paint on the leading along with ADs regarding corrosion along the D spar hence the blade tape to keep the paint in place.

Many Fatstars (130s) out there and they are indeed an underrated utility ship. You wont have the fenestrons altitude issues in Fiji. AC is a bonus and lots of room for stetchers, baggage etc.
Once again though, easy to buy, not so easy to sell,
A badly tracked 130 is an experience.

fdr
12th Sep 2012, 09:27
That lights normal!,

love your observation :) so very true.

AS vs BH, dealers choice, both have their strengths. Better yet, much cheaper to walk or swim.

R44 tape/rain? question, only approved system is unlikely to be taken out in rain if it was fitted with any competency. Don't like it, just know the physics.

Separately, we just entered the market for out cVG-EPS to be fitted within AUST for all BHTI/EC/AS/H369 types that have current OEM authority for blade tape. We also just finished a test series flown by a customer in the UK, on the H369C, which mirrored the effect of the cVG system on the B206BIII tested independently last year.

my choice? just picked up a 350F2 so I guess I am biassed, but then it is just a test hack, personally I love the 500 to fly. Pax can fly airline...

cheers,

FDR