PDA

View Full Version : Irs?

tomcs
4th Apr 2002, 21:08
Can someone please tell me exactly what the IRS is? I hear alot about it but i dont know what it is please enlighten me:)

Thanks

Tom

The Greaser
4th Apr 2002, 21:18
Increasingly, modern aircraft use sophisticated gyros (laser ring gyros) to detect even minute changes in accelerations in all 3 aircraft axes. From this the attitude of the aircraft can be calculated and displayed on EFIS systems and through a series of integrators the velocity and position of the aircraft can be determined. This is the IRS the inertial reference system. I hope some of this is right!

Knold
5th Apr 2002, 10:35
A development from the INS one might add...

Inertial Navigation System

Inertial Reference System

Cheers:cool:

Brenoch
5th Apr 2002, 11:24
As far as I can recall, it measures frequency modulations in the laserbeam beeing sent in a triangular motion between three mirrors.. One IRS incorporates three of theese mirror arrangements to be able to measure the aircrafts movements in all three axes..

Hope it might have shed some light..

tomcs
5th Apr 2002, 14:41
thanks for the info, but i was also wondering what it is actually used for, is it used in conjunction with the FMC?

Tom

hombre_007
5th Apr 2002, 14:54
the IRS is programed through a seperate system but is incoorporated into the FMS and references itself internally but can use outside navaids to update and correctly identify its position on the earth eg.vor,dme,adf intersections

Brenoch
5th Apr 2002, 15:17
Not only that, but it also replaces conventional type gyros to provide pitch/bank info etc. etc.

Brenoch
5th Apr 2002, 15:20
And of course, the I.R.S. are the bastards who torments you with audits and finally decide to nick your dosh.. :D

Fresca
5th Apr 2002, 16:36
INS/IRS is use a gyro laws for navigation (and attitude and other stuff when using IRS). It works on the prinsible of acceleration in any direction. One tells it where it is, in Lat. and Long. and it measures evey acceleration of the aircraft, and as a function of time and heading can tell one where the aircraft is in lat and long.

Hope it helps