PDA

View Full Version : AA to call back pilots

cln 7r
4th Apr 2002, 20:35
American Airlines said today it would recall 208 laid-off pilots next month beacause of an increase in travel.

Spokeswoman Karen Waston said Training would begin May 1.

Good news I guess considering they must have been hit the hardest, lets hope its a sign of things to come.

Perf Init
4th Apr 2002, 23:26
So then, how many will stiill be on furlough after this recall?

Raas767
4th Apr 2002, 23:46
AA is calling back 208 pilots so they can furlough 208 TWA pilots. Now that the NMB has ruled on union representation there are pilots that are currently furloughed out of seniority. So it's good and bad.

AA SLF
5th Apr 2002, 01:30
Perf Init -

The answer to your question is roughly 2,000 on the "old" AA side of things. -dAAvid

Wino
5th Apr 2002, 04:05
MAGNUS,

Da Kude has promised that there will be no more furloughs even with the 208 coming back, and as the LLC seams to be very short of pilots, I think they would recall more if they had room to train them. As its gonna take through the end of the year to take care of all the displacements from the fleet closures, his statements actually ring true this time...

And AA SLF, there were 595 on furlough from AA and 300 ish from TWA for a total of less than 900 before the recalls.

Cheers
Wino

StbdD
5th Apr 2002, 04:16
AAslf, don't know where you got your numbers but they are off by about 1200 over. And yeah, I do know the numbers better than you. I live with them every day.

P.S. Mags Ras.... bingo! Wish more people could see through the spin of "208 American pilots recalled today" and understand that 208 AA pilots who were unfairly furloughed in the first place have been restored and 208 TWA folks have replaced them on the furough list.... net result? Zero

AA SLF
5th Apr 2002, 05:04
Wino & StbdD -

Got those "magic" numbers from Channel-5 (NBC-TV) local Dallas news when they broke this story locally the other evening. So, I have been bit in the a** by a "journo" as our UK friends call them. Now I more fully understand that joke about - "how can you tell when a journalist is lying?". My apologies to the board.

And - very good news to hear that the actual, factual number is so much lower.

Here is a quote from an LLC pilot on another forum:

" of the 208 recalls 4 are deferring and 49 are still on MLOA (military leave). That means only 155 pilots actually coming back on line, however, the rest can come back anytime".

Hopefully - he is more correct than the "source" that I cited.

StbdD - do you recognize where I got this quote from? I copied it in whith "cut'n'paste".

dallas dude
5th Apr 2002, 13:22
One of the biggest "complaints" from the TWA MEC during the seniority discussions with APA was that STL would absorb all the furloughs if they were crammed on to the bottom of the list.

What the MEC didn't tell their folks is that their proposal to APA had the 500 most junior pilots on TWA's list go to the bottom anyway.
Effectively, this WOULD have ensured any pilots on the original AA side that were called back after April 5th would be automatically replaced on the street by STL pilots and the chess game by AMR could begin, all things being equal.

Of the 209 furloughed in November 2001, sadly only 208 will return. Steve Zirkle was killed in an auto accident while on furlough (you think your situation sucked, recently!).

Fortunately, with passengers returning in their droves, there is little chance of further reductions in manning at AA and the STL folks will not be "trading places" with the 208.

There are 386 original AA pilots and 230(ish) STL pilots still out on furlough.

Just so there's no misunderstanding, I've labelled one group "original AA" and the other "STL" (former TWA) in order to avoid confusing the layman. It's not meant as a stab at TWA's pilots.
We're all one now!

Cheers,