PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 530 memory battery

FlyingGoat
2nd Aug 2012, 10:34
I'm new to the 530. Could anyone advise on the cost of fitting a replacement memory battery? We've been quoted a range of £150 - £750 depending on any 'reconfiguration' required. Hopefully the upper estimate is nonsense, although Garmin UK quoted US$1,000 plus refitting cost from the local agent (SE England) with discount 'possible'. Thanks.

JW411
2nd Aug 2012, 14:20
I had to have the memory battery in my Garmin 430 replaced a couple of years ago. The battery itself could be found on line for about £20. Garmin quoted me a completely ridiculous price. I went to my local friendly avionics man who told me that he had never done one before but he was game to try. Apparently Garmins put the battery in the most inaccessible place possible so that the unit has to be taken apart to get at the battery.

Anyway, the job was done for about £150.

The only drawback is that you will lose everything in your memory file and have to start again building up your database.

dirkdj
2nd Aug 2012, 16:03
I had to have the memory battery replaced two months ago. I opted to have the terrain module and database installed at the same time the box was opened up at the local avionics shop. Total bill about 600€, inclusive the battery and terrain update.

I tested the terrain module by flying straight towards a TV tower and about 1NM from impact it clearly showed the warning on the screen overriding the current display. Well worth the price even if you never intend to use it.

riverrock83
2nd Aug 2012, 16:31
If you're confident / mad then I understand the battery itself is only £5 or so...

Matronics Email Lists :: View topic - Garmin 530 memory battery (http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=184138&sid=e3384518df9e47ac02e584b5ccb3ee34)

It'll be outside warranty anyway - up to you whether to take the risk!

peterh337
2nd Aug 2012, 21:14
There is a procedure for replacing these batteries which does not cause the loss of the data.

It is hard to describe in writing but it involves temporarily soldering in a resistor to prevent the fresh battery draining into the old one... the procedure will be obvious to anybody in electronics.