PDA

View Full Version : Customers with Disabilities’ training for airline crew

Offchocks
2nd Aug 2012, 05:17
My airline has captains operating to the US undergo a course for handling customers with disabilities, apparently it is a requirement from the US DOT. What is covered is not only physical handling but also discrimination.

Since I have little contact with passengers other than the occasional walk in the cabin to say hello, I think this is a bit over the top. I was wondering if this training is required of US airline crews.

Rotorhead1026
15th Aug 2012, 13:34
As of 2006 it wasn't a requirement per se, but we usually had a 15-30 minute video on some disability topic during recurrent. Screwing up operationally in this area can lead to some nasty publicity and, of course, a lawsuit - so this training is a really good idea. The FAA POI handling the carrier typically has a lot of input into initial and recurrent topics. If this person thinks it's a good idea, it'll be incorporated into the curriculum.

I was working for two different foreign carriers operating to the US in 2011 and 2012; afaik no special training was given on this topic. The level of awareness, especially among cabin crews, was high, though, so perhaps none was needed.

speed2height
6th Sep 2012, 07:59
It is a requirement under the DOT Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) 1990, all domestic and foreign carriers operating in the US have to comply, there are specific provisions in the Act concerning training requirements.

The training is not too hard and is often offered online, there are companies that provide generic training packages. Even contractors to carriers who deal directly with traveling public require training.

The training is not specifically a captain requirement.