PDA

View Full Version : State of the helicopter Industry

S76Shadow
1st Aug 2012, 14:36
Hello. First post. So now we're half way into 2012, from where I sit, things look quite bright in the offshore sector globally. New aircraft coming online with the various companies, more training for new types, more contracts and more work, what about the onshore and VIP industry? Does it look like there may be good news on the horizon for these guys too?
Unfortunately for some us, we're probably going to be stuck on one particular type soon to be replaced by the new Class1 performance types. ie 139, 92, 189 etc.
I'm wondering if the new guys into the industry will take the new slots as those of us with a couple of years in already may just be left by the wayside due to type rating costs.

The helicopter industry certainly is a roller coaster. :ok:

zimbizee
9th Sep 2012, 06:48

zimbizee
13th Sep 2012, 08:00

Camp Freddie
13th Sep 2012, 19:39
Anyone who ever does a cost benefit analysis of "is it a good idea to spend a load of money on rotary training / licence conversion etc" will always come up with an answer of NO"

Ultimately after improving your chances as much as possible by directing your spending, you just have to take the chance and spend it anyway.

Rotary will always be a big risk. At the moment I wouldn't want to be a S76 driver, because unless you get the AW139 rating paid for you by someone, the S76 jobs must be disappearing fast.

Sir Korsky
13th Sep 2012, 20:23
At the rate the 139 drinks gas, I think you'll find the later model 76s around for just a little longer. :ok: the 139 is a fine machine, but a little too thirsty for many operators.

krypton_john
13th Sep 2012, 21:09
Uh, yeah, if you are transporting 6 pax or one stretcher, sure.

But if you are transporting 12 it is a lot cheaper in one 139 than two 76's.

Soave_Pilot
13th Sep 2012, 21:14
I think the onshore and VIP is not going as good as the offshore which is growing at a slow rate.
For those of us in the early stages of the career it is a bumpy, tough road with an expensive toll :{, for the well flown and experienced pilots... jobs are there to be filled.

paco
14th Sep 2012, 04:23
Well, from where we sit, things are encouraging, more from about a years' time, IMHO, because the average age of the industry appears to be very high, meaning potential retirements.

There is certainly a lack of experienced pilots at the moment - there is a thread on a rival forum about this very subject and many operators in Canada are hiring (2 pages of ads in a recent issue of a Canadian heli mag), South America is open (more interested in Spanish skills than a licence in some places), there is some recruitment on the N Sea, and I know of one company owner who is doing his own CPL(H) because he can't find pilots with a decent attitude (plenty of people with licences.....) :(

It's even better (or worse?!) for engineers.

Phil

Geoffersincornwall
14th Sep 2012, 07:51
A situation where the training is focussed on the 'test', be it a License Skill Test of a Licence Proficiency Test, inevitably leads to a gap between 'competence' and 'compliance'.

This gap is there because to be 'compliant' you have 'passed the test' but to be 'competent' you need to have received comprehensive training that focusses on the job you do.

There are no 'compliance' requirements, beyond the IR, that focus on a particular job save those that are in the Company Operations and/or Training Manuals. With so many skill-sets required in our industry this is probably not surprising. In the Fixed Wing world if you can take off and land on a runway then there is not a huge difference in technique between a puddle-jumper and an Airbus but if you are a commercial chopper pilot then just imagine the range of skills you may need to go to work: Offshore, Sling Load, HEMS, Law Enforcement, Long Line, Fire Fighting, VIP, Search and Rescue, Offshore Windfarm Support, Power Line Repair, Power Line Inspection, Survey. There are others I'm sure.

The point is that doing an autorotation and a spot turn makes you compliant, doing a single engine IFR approach makes you compliant but to be competent you would need to demonstrate that you can do a night deck approach in the pouring rain at minimas, manage a 'max weight' load on the end of a hook, pick up a survivor at night from a boat, drop a Bambi Load on the spot nine times out of ten.

Those that respond that 'their company does just that' are fortunate. Many, dare I say most, do not have the benefit of such comprehensive training and checking.

Perhaps it's not surprising that there is a gap between 'compliance' and 'competence' when we contemplate when the rules were drafted - was it 30 years ago? Arguably two generations of helicopter ago.

IMHO a better way is needed if we are to keep the industry safe.

G.

ShyTorque
14th Sep 2012, 08:16
As an Ex RAF A1 fixed wing instructor once said to me:

"With a fixed wing aircraft, once you have managed to fly from A to B, the difficult part of your job is done. With helicopters, when you arrive at B, your job is just beginning".

How right he was, but it was generous of him to say it. He was flying SAR fixed wing, I was flying SAR helicopters and we often worked together.

cladosporangium
14th Sep 2012, 13:39
Quote: "I know of one company owner who is doing his own CPL(H) because he can't find pilots with a decent attitude" unquote.

Since the vast majority of pilots I have met have an extemely wilco attitude, and are prepared to do (almost) anything to fly, then this begs the question; just what does this company owner expect? :bored:

Sounds like S/he needs the attitude adjustment. :hmm:

Just saying.......

paco
14th Sep 2012, 16:22
No, he doesn't need any adjustment - he used to shove passengers into my helicopter many moons ago and knows what it's all about. He would just like to meet someone that isn't on the way home before the blades have stopped turning, realises that some of us wear at least some sort of uniform (not jeans and T-shirt), doesn't expect a free type rating for no work at all, doesn't fly several hours North for some pleasure flying then returns home after a few lifts because it is raining.........

"Being prepared to do anything" doesn't mean that they are right for the job.

phil

Islandcrazy
14th Sep 2012, 18:47
Paco,

You are absolutely right. Unfortunately this is a problem across the whole workforce with people in their late teens and twenties. It's not just helicopter pilots. Work ethic is virtually impossible to teach to someone.

Problem is.....it's getting worse. Just wait for the next generation of pilots who will need their ATC instructions texted or IM to them because they have forgotten how to speak and/or talk to people. " M8 ....CNT B RSED CU :-/ "