PDA

View Full Version : CAA Standards Document 10 supplement -answers?

xert
31st Jul 2012, 20:39
I am soon to be embarking on an FIs course and, following advice I've been working through the questions contained within the CAA Standards Documnet 10 Supplement V5.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/Stds%20Doc%2010%20v5%2009%20+%20Supplement%20v1.pdf

However, does anyone know where one might find a list of suggested and sensible answers for all of the questions?

TIA

Duchess_Driver
1st Aug 2012, 11:33
As I say to all of my FI Candidates, the object of the exercise is to find the answers yourself.

By going through all of the questions and noting either the answer or the reference where you can find the answer you're much better positioned when the FIE comes along. Its all part of the fun of the course!

Sorry to be -ve.

DD

P.S. Your FICI will tell you which answers are sensible when you do the course.

xert
1st Aug 2012, 20:57
Dutchess,

Thanks for replying.

I can appreciate there is some added value in researching each answer oneself but it just feels like an inefficient use of time.

Self employed and with young kids, I don't really have the spare time to look up the answer to each one of the 250 questions individually although I'm trying my best!

Duchess_Driver
1st Aug 2012, 23:18
Again, sorry to p1ss on your bonfire, but...

I don't really have the spare time to look up the answer

...to me says you need to question the timing of your plans to do the FI course. I set you significant amounts of self study during the course, you work long days and are put through your paces. Whilst I have a degree of empathy for your situation I warn you that I am a pussycat when it comes to FI courses...others are much harder.

Be prepared to give the course your all....or put it off until you can.

xert
2nd Aug 2012, 06:56
Understood Dutchess.

Looks like I've got some busy weeks ahead!

S-Works
2nd Aug 2012, 07:13
DDs approach may sound hard, but you need to remember the FI us the front line of training. Our industry for some bizzare reason allows the most inexperienced to teach the new intake, therefore it's imperative that you are preperaed in full.

Although you will never use most of the stuff you learn in those questions, they are great food for thought and your FI Instructor will draw from them for your teaching presentations.

Enjoy your course.

xert
2nd Aug 2012, 15:23
Alister,

That sounds really interesting. I'd happily have a look through and give you my thoughts.

I'll PM you now.

xert
2nd Aug 2012, 19:06
Alister,

Your book is superb. I've already ordered your "PPL made easy" one because I think that would be useful at our flying club for the students.

I will have a really good think about some simple diagrams for the other subjects but give me a couple of weeks. Rest assured that I will contribute though. It might not be any good but I will.

Thanks again.:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Aug 2012, 20:01
I don't have pre-prepared board briefs, and I'm a CRI rather than FI.

That said, I'd be glad to help out, particularly with reviewing. I used to teach aero-eng at undergraduate degree level, and now still do at PhD level, so I hope that I have some working knowledge of how aeroplanes work and how teach most aeronautical subjects.

I'll PM you an email address.

Apart from that I agree with DD, and on most educational activity, not just an instructors course. You need to learn the material properly, not just question spot. I hate teaching university students who just want to know how to pass the exam, rather than to understand the subject - and have every sympathy for DD feeling the same about FI students.

G

Whopity
3rd Aug 2012, 09:23
There is also a book full of Board Briefs here (http://www.ontrackaviation.com/book.htm)