PDA

View Full Version : Astraeus airborne!

Hamrah
4th Apr 2002, 14:28
This probably counts as news.

G-STRA, the first of 4 737's for Astraeus has just got airborne from Gatwick on it's AOC proving flight.

G-STRB (the second 737-300) is in Southend bein painted and will be delivered on Tuesday 9th.

G-STRC and D, the 2 737-700's have arrived in Lasham (In Midway colours) for delivery in May.

First passenger flight scheduled for Saturday 6th April.

Whew!! :)

4th Apr 2002, 14:31
Good on you. I hope it all goes well!:)

HugMonster
4th Apr 2002, 14:47
Congratulations to all - much extremely hard work and sleepless nights, I expect!

Gissa job! ;)

InFinRetirement
4th Apr 2002, 14:54
So it is written! The AOC, tomorrow no doubt.

Well done to all, and much success and many good wishes for the future of Astraeus.

Wee Weasley Welshman
4th Apr 2002, 14:56
Fantastic to see, during this period of airline failures and retrenchment, a start-up taking to the air.

I wish you the best of luck (not that you will need it) and I am sure the PPRuNe cadets will repay your faith in them with spades.

ps Whats the callsign?

pjdj777
4th Apr 2002, 14:59
Congratulations H, I know it's been a tough time.

Looking forward to the future, and WWW, damn right we will.

Lil'KiwiPaddy
4th Apr 2002, 15:04
Best of Luck to all involved-especially the famous 5!

Hope everything goes well.:)

Gin Slinger
4th Apr 2002, 15:20
Many congratulations to all concerned.

Apart from being a positive breath of fresh air in these uncertain times, it’s been great reading about it unfolding on PPRuNe!

BOAC
4th Apr 2002, 16:02
D: 'All of the above'

Well done all of you.

DoleBoy
4th Apr 2002, 16:33
Excellent news the very best to all concerned, hopefully the Fab Five can keep us updated on the mile wide grin factor. Anyway here's to a busy summer and many more of em for Astraeus.

Regards

DB

:D :cool:

G-BPEC
4th Apr 2002, 16:35
WWW,

Jetstar is the callsign.

Well done to everyone involved. Let's hope everything goes well for the first flight :)

g-bpec

ArcticCircle
4th Apr 2002, 16:43
G-BPEC and WWW,

If you`re out flying on April 6. you will hear the call sign
"Flystar 801"

salapilot
4th Apr 2002, 17:11
I'm still very impressed how quickly things have happened for Astraeus..... well done folks and especially to those lucky ones who will be flying.

sp

Blindside
4th Apr 2002, 17:19
Congratulations and good luck.

Regards

Capt PPRuNe
4th Apr 2002, 17:23
Just arrived back from the flight as a pax. All went exceedingly well and there is jubilation at the prospect of the first commercial flight on Saturday.

Congratulations to everyone who has worked very hard to get this project off the ground in record time. Roughly three months from start-up to first flight.
:)

Wig Wag
4th Apr 2002, 18:07
Its a good crack, as they say. Not at all a bad effort in these dodgy times. If I remember rightly Brad Burgess started Cityflier out of the ashes of Air Europe. He must know well the current business climate.

I hope the crews get a good deal out of all this.

Best of luck to everyone.

Snigs
4th Apr 2002, 18:53
My best wishes as well!

To everyone for all the hard work, congratulations :D It must feel good.

Good luck to all for a successful future, especially to the famous five. I look forward to flying Astraeus in the future.

APG
4th Apr 2002, 19:00
Good luck to all concerned for the future. I saw the aircraft arrive and it looks pretty good in the flesh.

What time does the first flight leave on Saturday?

Regards

Paul

crewrest
4th Apr 2002, 19:02
Good luck chaps!

general2001
4th Apr 2002, 19:38
well done to all involved good to see ;

featherman
4th Apr 2002, 19:58
Congratulations!!!

......as one of "the five" I feel more than just a little chuffed being part of all of this. Had a great day....... thanks guys.

kbf1
4th Apr 2002, 20:27
Not a lot else to say other than bloody well done chaps!

Whalerider
4th Apr 2002, 20:28
NICE TO SEE - IT MADE A GOOD PICCY TOO. WELL DONE TO ALL INVOLVED. :D

cat 3a
4th Apr 2002, 20:42
WELL DONE GUYS

good news is always welcome in these troubled times

GOOD LUCK

salapilot
4th Apr 2002, 20:48
When are we going to see a Piccy of the famous aircraft ???

sp

Stan Sted
4th Apr 2002, 21:00
Nice one H and team

when is the launch party?

Self Loading Freight
4th Apr 2002, 22:06
Gordon Bennett on stilts! I'm sure that's impossible... you can't put an airline together in three months. Can't be done. Silly. You'd have to be a complete nutter to even try.

well done, chaps...

R

PPRuNe Radar
4th Apr 2002, 22:17
Great news, congratulations to everyone involved no matter how big or small the part played. :)

Another bloody callsign I have to learn now !!!!

Electric Sky
4th Apr 2002, 22:29
Good luck everyone at Astraeus.

I remember Capt H.J. from my happy years at Excalibur and wish him and everyone else the best of luck. I saw the aircraft crew training at EMA last week and it looks good. (Not as much as EXC though but I am just being nostalgic!!!)

ES ;)

Sagey
4th Apr 2002, 22:52
Wonderful news :)

Best of luck to all those involved, may you fly safely and the airline prosper.

Have fun.

Sagey

Nightstop
5th Apr 2002, 06:35
Well done to all involved. BTW are you using GO/BA sops or the industry norm?

Best Western
5th Apr 2002, 08:07
Congratulations Hamrah... Hope all goes well this summer.

Hamrah
5th Apr 2002, 08:16
Nightstop...standard Boeing.

The AOC went very well (Thanks team) and the AOC will be issued today :)

H

St Hilary
5th Apr 2002, 08:39
Congratulations.

saw the aircraft at cardiff yesterday , and very nice it looked too.

JB007
5th Apr 2002, 08:45
Congrats to all involved...

Look forward to seeing the aircraft on stand at LGW this summer.

Onwards and Upwards!

Final 3 Greens
5th Apr 2002, 09:34
Best of British to all at Astraeus

:)

Air Driven Generator
5th Apr 2002, 09:36
Congratulations H,

Well done CrashDive, all that hard work paid off.

Wish you and the whole team all the very best.

Good Luck Chaps :)

PPRuNe Towers
5th Apr 2002, 10:00
Congratulations to each and every one of the Faraday Court team.

An incredible effort that has paid off and kudos too for the denizens of the Grey Lubianka for an incredibly positive and professional approach to all the AOC work.

Ali Ronn
5th Apr 2002, 10:10
The smiles on board were so wide I'm suprised she could take off with all that extra drag! Having had the good fortune to meet and work with the Astraeus team believe me - it wasn't 'luck' that got her up there! Havn't they done well!:D

146LUKE
5th Apr 2002, 10:36
Great to see something positive in the industry at last!

Still looking for a job though!

RowleyUK
5th Apr 2002, 10:51
Good luck to all!!!

I reckon we should try and get this onto the TV news somehow!......just so that we can show the public something positive is happening deep inside the industry!

Happy Flying peeps

Desk Driver
5th Apr 2002, 11:19
Congratulations and Good Luck!

Whats the web address and when & Where is your first flight.

JB007
5th Apr 2002, 12:05
DD,

www.flyastraeus.com (http://)

AGP - Saturday 06th April..

Hamrah
5th Apr 2002, 13:04
http://www.flyastraeus.com/images/MVC-117S.JPG
http://www.flyastraeus.com/images/MVC-123S.JPG

H

autothrottle
5th Apr 2002, 13:15
Well done to all concerned,a great effort.

BTW Hamrah, good colour scheme , beats some others we have seen recently!!!!!

Best of British

autothrottle:)

CrashDive
5th Apr 2002, 14:24
Here's some more news for you all:

Earlier this morning the UK CAA granted Astraeus their Air Operators Certificate.

Just a few minutes ago we were informed that the UK CAA have just granted Astraeus their Operating License.

Astraeus is now a fully functioning airline - it's first passenger / revenue flight (AEU801) departs from Gatwick for Malaga at 05:55Z tomorrow morning !

Big Tudor
5th Apr 2002, 14:42
Welcome to the skies Astraeus. May your stay be long and prosperous. If Brad's previous history is anything to go on then I'm sure it will be a great success.

:) :)

ArcticCircle
5th Apr 2002, 14:57
YES !!!

Brenoch
5th Apr 2002, 15:31
Congrats chaps..

Hogg
5th Apr 2002, 15:35
WELL DONE

Just goes to show what true professionals can organise and get done.
Maith an fear Hamrah.:cool:

silverhawk
5th Apr 2002, 16:36
From little acorns do big oak trees grow.

To all concerned, be very proud.

Astraeus live long and prosper.

rubik101
5th Apr 2002, 16:46
Well Done Hamrah and Co. Good to see you back on your feet. Have you rewarded CrashDive with his command yet?
Are you still looking for part-time Capt's?
Best of luck to you all.

Avman
5th Apr 2002, 17:02
CONGRATULATIONS ! Looking forward to the pleasure of your company in the "Maastricht" skies.

G SXTY
5th Apr 2002, 17:12
Very best of luck to Hamrah, Crashdive, pjdj & everyone else involved. I hope this is proof we’ve turned the corner. :)

By the way, would that be one of your plain white 737s that was low & slow over Basildon around 1730Z, heading for EGMC? It made a nice change from the usual 152s! :D:D

Delta Wun-Wun
5th Apr 2002, 17:32
Not only have they managed to set up an Airline in what appears record time ,but they have also found time to consider the Wannabes at the bottom.
Hats off to you all.I wish all at Astraeus the very best for the future.:) :cool:
PS Who had the honour of Flying it on it`s proving flight?

Ray D'Avecta
5th Apr 2002, 18:34
Great News indeed.

Congratulations to all involved in what is without doubt, a very impressive feat. Best of luck, and hope you go from strength to strength.

...and, to the new ex-wannabe pilots........CONGRATULATIONS, guys and girl(s?). I can imagine how fantastic it all feels right now.

(Pjdj - well done, mate. Thats another one to add to Ian's (OATS) list of successes :cool: )

CrashDive
5th Apr 2002, 19:34
..... I'd just like to add that, contrary to many a popular belief, in our instance the UK CAA SRG (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/default.asp) have been truly magnificent, and I / we extend our honest applause to their very positive attitude throughout our early days !

So, bravo and well done to the UK CAA SRG (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/default.asp) !

( Blimey, I never thought that I'd ever be writing that - but the praise is duly deserved ! )

Mooney
5th Apr 2002, 20:05
Bravo!!

Good Luck! And good news for more jobs in the UK!!

Does anyone know what the web site is one can see where Airlines apply for route licences?

Jetgate
5th Apr 2002, 20:09
Phenomenal!

To think how some of the Pruners have matured....AWESOME!

May the force of all who surf with PPRuNe be with you all....

Hugh_Jones
5th Apr 2002, 21:18
Delta Wun-Wun

Capt C S and SFO I P flew the aircraft and did a truly professional job, but please remember the Cabin Crew who were excellent and the Ops and Admin staff who gave such great support. At the end of the day it was a dedicated TEAM or people who made it happen.

Delta Wun-Wun
5th Apr 2002, 23:21
Hugh,
Thanks for the info.I`m not forgetting anyone (I hope)It appears that everyone has been working flat out,Pilots,Cabin Crew,backroom staff and all.They deserve success and I wish them all well.

:) DWW:)

Basil
5th Apr 2002, 23:52
Well done & best wishes :D
but you didn't reply to Basil's online application - not even a GTF :(

ps: that's the well known Scottish rejection letter: "Get To F***!"

APG
6th Apr 2002, 09:42
Below is a link to the "historic" moment this morning. Crap picture im afraid, shame you guys couldnt come all the way down to Juliet 1 so there was some sun on you. :(

Regards

Paul

Picture here (http://www.mig29.flyer.co.uk/1018077336.jpg)

PPRuNe Dispatcher
6th Apr 2002, 10:37
Well done folks, well done indeed!

IFR/StanSted - how about a PPRuNe bash in France/Spain/Italy/Greece? We could charter an Astraeus 737 and all fly down from Gatwick :D

brockenspectre
6th Apr 2002, 12:48
What a neat idea! A Bash away! I for one think it would be a grand idea!

When walking my dog in the early mornings (0550 or so Mon-Fri and about 0630/0700 at weekends!) I am in the habit of carrying my ancient "sad bastard" (i.e. airband) radio in my pocket with an earpiece .. when on personal auto-pilot at that hour I take pleasure in seeing/hearing aircraft as they are winging their way to LHR, usually. As I have a dog that has to sniff and pretend to mark every crucial smell he encounters I have plenty of time to stay semi asleep as we patrol the neighbourhood. I realised this morning that when putting the radio in my inside pocket I had knocked it but rather than fiddle with it on the move I let it carry on running up and down channels...so...at about 0705 I was thrilled to hear the callsign of Flystar801 :D Needless to say the rogue radio carried on so all I know is that there was one heading of 255 and one climb to FL80 :D

I do hope the first flight went without a hitch and look forward to hearing about it!

Sick Squid
6th Apr 2002, 13:23
Well done to all concerned, a grand and bold achievement in such a short space of time. Great to watch a real airline rise on here, for a change... ;)

Easy Glider
6th Apr 2002, 14:16
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the pay is at Astraeus?

Info is available in Terms and Endearment Forum...

Ali Ronn
6th Apr 2002, 14:41
Hope you're not a cat EG;)

Goldfinger
6th Apr 2002, 14:57
What fantastic wonderful news. Good luck for the future to all the team. Its great to hear a success story and my best wishes to the Famous Five. I'm sure i met one or two of you that sunny Saturday in Brum.

Again Well Bl**dy done.

GOBWX
6th Apr 2002, 16:12
WELL BY MY SINE YOU KNOW WHERE IM FROM, AND I CANT HELP BUT SMILE TO KNOW THAT YOU GUYS ARE DOING SO WELL,

PART OF ME WISHES THAT I HAD STAYED BEHIND AND BEEN PART OF A NEW VENTURE THAT CERTAINLY IS GOING TO SUCSEED....

BLOODY GOOD LUCK TO THE LOT OF YA

MISS YOU LOT HEAPS

WX :D :D :D

brockenspectre
6th Apr 2002, 21:13
I am assuming the first flight went well - where and when is the second?

'cos this is the first airline I have learned about ab initio forgive my interest but .. I am taking a personal pride here OK!!!

:D

Funky Me
6th Apr 2002, 23:46
"Second flight" (third sector of the day) left LGW for Alicante an hour after the inbound 802 arrived. All went well and the crew made it back for the celebrations in the office ! (And I don't mean a box of miniature chocolates!). :D :D :D :D

Thanks to all the team involved, a good day out was had by all !

Any changes for me ? :p

PPRuNe Pop
7th Apr 2002, 06:23
Congratulations!

What a brilliant way to start the new season! A brand new airline with a bunch of people who actually know what they are doing.

Go for it guys, don't hold back now! :D

scroggs
7th Apr 2002, 20:11
Very well done to all of you. I look forward to hearing some of the background stories at the Gatbash.

Onwards and upwards, folks!

Mooney
8th Apr 2002, 10:40
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=227837

] First Flight (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=227836) 737 (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=227837)

BillTheCoach
8th Apr 2002, 12:11
Good luck to all at Astraeus !

We will be waiting to assist with flight delays, diversions when they arise ! We're here to help cos we are the fan what the s**t hits !

Well done for getting in the air !

Yacht Man
8th Apr 2002, 13:41
Great News and a very welcome addition to the UK airline industry at such a difficult time. The preparation, submission and subsequent approval of the AOC in such a short time is truly remarkable.

Speaking of difficult times, any idea how many ex Brit World staff managed to join the 'New Airline'?

Good Luck all...........

Stan Sted
8th Apr 2002, 14:27
PD

Over the years many people have suggested a weekend PPRuNe bash at some sunny seaside spot, so we could certainly have a look at the costings to see if it would be viable. Anyone at Astraeus care to send me a rough quotation for a charter from Friday-Sunday or Sat-Sunday to an exotic spot in Europe? How about a bash in the South of France?

cheers

SS

flapsforty
8th Apr 2002, 14:44
Nice pics MoonMan, you're a http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons/angel/littleangel.gif ;)

Stan, a truly mad plan.
Let's do it! :D
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/aircraft2/jude737.gif

AtlPax
8th Apr 2002, 15:42
Hmm, G-STRA.

Do they, or will they, ever have a G-STRG? ;) :D

(edited - wanted to add this: )

It's great seeing a new airline being born, a rarity these days. Good luck to everyone! :)