PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Barbados

Ebbie 2003
30th Jul 2012, 23:09
For those who like to holiday in Barbados - there are now aeroplanes for self fly hire there - a PA38, some PA28s, an Arrow, a light twin and some Archers and there is instruction too.

The company is called Coconut Airways (like the song).

I live in Barbados and think that it must be one of the few places in the world where having a licence can actually save one money, thanks to the glory of airport taxes - its not cheap to hire but a four people in a PA28 to St Lucia or Union from Barbados is less than the cost of a one person on a scheduled carrier.

Could be a nice holiday cruising around the islands - they are very variable in the Eastern Caribbean - and the mozzies are a resonable size not like the killer beasties that attacked me on Stella Maris a couple of weeks back (hint: be worried if the largest stock of items for sale in an FBO's shop is a range of insect repellants!)

Dave Gittins
31st Jul 2012, 11:44
Hi Ebbie ... I flew with Coconut back in Feb this year and had a couple of great trips round the island with Paul in the Tommy 8P-TOM.

Has the flying club taken off yet ? when I was there it was closed up and empty; but I heard about to get going in earnest.

As I understand it; Barbados doesn't recognise JAR licenses so it means (theoretically) an instructional flight only.

ericferret
31st Jul 2012, 19:47
Make yourself familiar with the Carribean phonetic alphabet.

For example the registration above reads as

eight,pineapple tangerine,orange,mango

Dave Gittins
1st Aug 2012, 11:47
Interesting at Grantley Adams .. had to call ground to taxi the Tommy about 15 feet across the south ramp to the holding point, then at the holding point contact the tower to enter the runway for departure. Shortest distance I've ever been on a frequency.

Ebbie 2003
5th Aug 2012, 21:04
Yes, the licensing rules are not that clear, as with everything here, they do not seem to be written down anywhere.

My solution with my FAA licence was to buy a US reg Archer - so the skies are mine when I can find the time. There are a coule of other US registered planes here another Archer, an Arrow and a twin - we all tender to keep our planes with "all uses" insurance so can rent them out (don't forget renter insurance though).

The flying club here is rather odd - it seems to very little flying - their 172 is awaiting a new engine and their 152 I've not seen flying.

The PA 38 that Coconut Airways have seems to do most of the training - not too sure of any link up with the light aeroplane club.

The weather here is usually pretty good and it is nice to know that there are several islands within an hours flying time that would cost more to get to commercial than New York - trips that make general aviation the most cost effective solution.

Ebbie 2003
5th Aug 2012, 21:21
Dave, it is true that even on the south ramp away from the big stuff on the north side they do treat any aircraft movement as if one were a 747 - not a bad thing though as being in contact all the time eliminates some runway incursion risk.

The oddest thing I find about Barbados is that one files a flight plan even if remaining in the pattern.

On my Saturday afternoon anti-clockwise circuits of the island I believe that with some powerful binoculars the tower (one stays on the tower frequency, one is never far enough to be handled by approach) could keep me in sight for the whole flight if I'm above 3,000ft and the cloud cooperates.

On the licences - one can get a Barbados licence, there is an air law exam - the air nav order is B$100 - gets one a copy of the acts to read as prep, none of the US/EU computer prep stuff. So not practical to get a Barbados licence if only over of a couple of weeks, getting a US licence based on a JAR one and flying one of the N reg to other islands is probably the best option. I believe that, subject to check out, one can fly 8P aircraft within the Barbados Class D solo on a JAA licence.

jmparis
16th Feb 2013, 17:34
I have a JAR PPL and I'm going to be on holiday in Barbados in March. I'm wanting to hire an aircraft while I'm out there and I've emailed and Facebook messaged Coconut Airways but have not received a reply yet. I'm trying to avoid an expensive phone call to them as I only have a mobile so I'm hoping somebody here has some other contact details?

N666BK
17th Feb 2013, 22:28
Hi Eddie,
I plan a Barbados vacation in October. Would be very interested to rent a plane. What's average hourly rate should I expect all included?

Dave Gittins
18th Feb 2013, 12:58
I was back out there over Christmas and flew three times with the CFI at Coconut, Bill Chandler - who is also the Barbados CAA's examiner. I am afraid the owner, Chris Gibson, just doesn't answer his email or his Facebook page.

It can be a bit laid back in the Caribbean.

Sorry no other "cheap" way; The best bet is to either txt or call Bill. PM me for his number.

Offhand I think I paid about B$400 for an hour of the Tomahawk + Bill

DGG

Ebbie 2003
19th Feb 2013, 05:09
I will give Chris a call in the morning and prompt him to check his email and/or his spam folder (and Facebook thing).

The airplanes available here are on the Coconut Airways website booking page.

N666BK - the rates are sensitive to fuel costs assuming that the current B$14.5 to 16/USG remains good.

The rates are certainly lower than the UK (and the weather tends not to get in the way!) - the Tomahawk goes for, I believe, B$280/hr, the Arrow for B$400-450 (not sure of precise rate) - both of these are Barbados registered. The Archer II, US registered (I must declare an interest as it is my airplane) goes for B$400/hr - some flexibility on a block of hours and low daily minimum for fly away if you want to do trips to other islands.

Executive Air also have a US registered Archer that they operate for an owner based on Union Island but is mainly in Barbados.

Do be aware that to solo a US airplane here you will need an FAA licence (getting a piggy-back FAA issued on the basis of a JAR licence is a good idea) - to meet the "two out of three rule" US airplane, US licence and airspace. So you will probably want to rent one of the Archers as they are US registered if you have plans for day trips to other islands and do not want to go to the trouble of getting a Barbados licence issued (things here can take quite a while) - if you just want to fly around the island any ICAO would let you solo a Barbados airplane in Barbados airspace.

Dave Clarke Fife
19th Feb 2013, 17:45
The last time I was in Barbados I was enjoying good food and drink with the Sunday music at Lobster Alive and got chatting with the owner who mentioned his aircraft ( Cherokee I seem to remember ) and said if we wanted to fly it we could. Not sure how much of mien hosts suggestion was really true but just wonder now if this is one the aircraft at the airport.....any confirmation Ebbie??

Ebbie 2003
19th Feb 2013, 21:41
Lobster Alive is Art Taylor's restaurant - he is the owner of the Arrow that I mentioned - it is also operated by Coconut Airways - I think the rate is B$450/hr (99.99% sure)

Art uses his airplane to fly in lobsters from St.Vincent and the Grenadines.

jmparis
20th Feb 2013, 12:55
I would be interested in hiring the Archer as I have done most of my flying on Cherokees/Warriors and it has been over 2 years since I have flown a plane with a retractable landing gear. I was issued a FAA PPL in 2007 and I have a current JAR PPL.

Ebbie 2003
21st Feb 2013, 20:24
No problems - let me know the dates where you are over and I'll make sure that there is availability - probably best via a private message.

The airplane is a 'stock' PA28-181 with the exception of an S-TEC60 altitude hold AP.

The airplane is IFR equipt and certified (subject to anything going u/s!)

I have a yoke mount colour moving map GPS that you can borrow if you do not have one and there is a second older GARMIN95 yoke mount on the P1 yoke.

There are also four life jackets, a four man life raft and portable GPS locator beacon - for over water flights.

All airspace in the region is controlled but the airports do not have weather radar (there is coverage for most of the region from stations on the French islands).

The local regulations require that all flights must have a flight plan - even when just flying circuits - something to do with all those big jets full of holiday makers I suspect.

N666BK
22nd Feb 2013, 23:35
N666BK - the rates are sensitive to fuel costs assuming that the current B$14.5 to 16/USG remains good.

The rates are certainly lower than the UK (and the weather tends not to get in the way!) - the Tomahawk goes for, I believe, B$280/hr, the Arrow for B$400-450 (not sure of precise rate) - both of these are Barbados registered. The Archer II, US registered (I must declare an interest as it is my airplane) goes for B$400/hr - some flexibility on a block of hours and low daily minimum for fly away if you want to do trips to other islands.

Executive Air also have a US registered Archer that they operate for an owner based on Union Island but is mainly in Barbados.

Do be aware that to solo a US airplane here you will need an FAA licence (getting a piggy-back FAA issued on the basis of a JAR licence is a good idea) - to meet the "two out of three rule" US airplane, US licence and airspace. So you will probably want to rent one of the Archers as they are US registered if you have plans for day trips to other islands and do not want to go to the trouble of getting a Barbados licence issued (things here can take quite a while) - if you just want to fly around the island any ICAO would let you solo a Barbados airplane in Barbados airspace.

Thank you. I do hold FAA certificate.

surfkernow
13th May 2014, 09:01
Hi all,
I have just been in touch with Chris Gibson's widow. He sadly passed away on 6th May.

I was advised to contact Eric Butcher instead. PM me for his number.

Meanwhile, I'd love to know for sure.. As a new EASA PPL would I be able to rent a SEP aircraft and fly to St Vincent or St Lucia?

I'd love to do about 5-7 hours flying this September and that's a lot of laps of the island otherwise!

Many thanks,
Harry

Ebbie 2003
14th May 2014, 01:16
Chris did pass way on 6th March following complications after a somewhat mysterious accident in Bequia in December, he is greatly missed, a great guy; as a consequence the number of airplanes in Barbados has dropped significantly.

The Barbados registered PA38 and PA28R are presently out of annual and stuck in Bequia and will likely need to be reregistered to another country to get back in the air.

The US registered Archer II leaves for the US next week for annual, repaint and new interior - will be back in August.

There are two other US registered PA28s here another PA28-181 and a PA28-140 - the catch being that one must have 300 hours and 25 on type for insurance.

To fly with an EASA licence from Barbados would not be possible - but good news go over to Martinique to Horizon and they have French registered airplanes (of course!).

Best thing - get yourself a 61.75 (piggy back) and you'd be OK with the US registered planes here - but they likely will not be any until August when the Archer II N75276 returns.

So September will be good; Bequia, Canouan and Union Island are fun - Union features in some "World Scariest Landings", but it's not that scary.

Ebbie 2003
29th Dec 2016, 15:38
Hello all and a, I hope, happy 2017.

An update on airplanes in Barbados.

My Archer II is due back from the US in January (I hope) - it is now the world's most expensive 1976 PS28-181 having been in the US since May 2014 and has pretty much new everything and everything rebuilt. It has been a nightmare - I will tell you about it sometime if my blood pressure can stand it - suffice to say never, ever let your airplane out of your possession or further away than a 30 minute car ride.

The plane looks great (generally) but is maybe not what it once was mechanically the quarter million dollars spent on it including legal fees notwithstanding.

So airplanes here - basically as I have said elsewhere once mine gets back I there will be four single engine airplanes here that one can rent. Two are US reg and two Barbados reg - the two Barbados reg are a 152 and a 172 SP - they rent as I understand it for B$270 and B$450/tacho - there is a need for a check out and for the 172 some minimum total and type hours for the insurance. The two US registered are a Cherokee Six (so fixed gear and a CP prop) and my PA28-181 - the Six rents out for between B$450 and B$600/tacho depending on where one is going and going - there is a minimum number of total and on type hours - so it is likely a case of flying with an instructor. Instructors run around B$75/hr (ground and air). My PA28-181 - I used to have a "Martini" policy (anyone, anytime, anywhere) so one could and people did do ab-initio training in it - not too sure how I will set it up this time as the $10,000 premium was rather high for relatively low hours each year. My plan is to rent it out for B$450/tacho - if you need a commercial pilot I can probably get you one for free (those hours for the ATP need to get done by lots of guys here) - basically, you rent the airplane and the commercial guy flys it for you/acts as safety pilot.

To fly to another island one needs an FAA license in the US reg airplanes and a Barbados license in the Barbados airplanes. Should say Martinique needs an airport specific checkout (about 3-4 hours of flying) - but nothing of the sort for Bequia, Canouan, Union etc.)

With JAR/EASA one can solo the Barbados reg airplanes in Barbados airspace (the classic flight around the island).

The Barbados reg airplanes are airplane club airplanes and one has to join - do not however be tempted to sign up as a fully "flying" member as the wording of the agreement is that you agree to take on a share of the club debts in the event that it folds (rumoured to be seven figures!).

I will post something on here when I depart the US in January and also when I get back here - OK so no solo flying for almost three years - like riding a bike yes?

Bluebear1872
10th Jan 2017, 22:39
Hello all and a, I hope, happy 2017.

An update on airplanes in Barbados.

My Archer II is due back from the US in January (I hope) - it is now the world's most expensive 1976 PS28-181 having been in the US since May 2014 and has pretty much new everything and everything rebuilt. It has been a nightmare - I will tell you about it sometime if my blood pressure can stand it - suffice to say never, ever let your airplane out of your possession or further away than a 30 minute car ride.

The plane looks great (generally) but is maybe not what it once was mechanically the quarter million dollars spent on it including legal fees notwithstanding.

So airplanes here - basically as I have said elsewhere once mine gets back I there will be four single engine airplanes here that one can rent. Two are US reg and two Barbados reg - the two Barbados reg are a 152 and a 172 SP - they rent as I understand it for B$270 and B$450/tacho - there is a need for a check out and for the 172 some minimum total and type hours for the insurance. The two US registered are a Cherokee Six (so fixed gear and a CP prop) and my PA28-181 - the Six rents out for between B$450 and B$600/tacho depending on where one is going and going - there is a minimum number of total and on type hours - so it is likely a case of flying with an instructor. Instructors run around B$75/hr (ground and air). My PA28-181 - I used to have a "Martini" policy (anyone, anytime, anywhere) so one could and people did do ab-initio training in it - not too sure how I will set it up this time as the $10,000 premium was rather high for relatively low hours each year. My plan is to rent it out for B$450/tacho - if you need a commercial pilot I can probably get you one for free (those hours for the ATP need to get done by lots of guys here) - basically, you rent the airplane and the commercial guy flys it for you/acts as safety pilot.

To fly to another island one needs an FAA license in the US reg airplanes and a Barbados license in the Barbados airplanes. Should say Martinique needs an airport specific checkout (about 3-4 hours of flying) - but nothing of the sort for Bequia, Canouan, Union etc.)

With JAR/EASA one can solo the Barbados reg airplanes in Barbados airspace (the classic flight around the island).

The Barbados reg airplanes are airplane club airplanes and one has to join - do not however be tempted to sign up as a fully "flying" member as the wording of the agreement is that you agree to take on a share of the club debts in the event that it folds (rumoured to be seven figures!).

I will post something on here when I depart the US in January and also when I get back here - OK so no solo flying for almost three years - like riding a bike yes?
Hi Ebbie. I'll be in Barbados from 21st-29th January 2017, staying in Dover Beach. I currently have a UK(EASA) PPL and also an FAA Private Pilot Certificate. I would like to go for a flight while I'm over if possible, so what's the best way to go about it and who do I contact. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

dont overfil
11th Jan 2017, 08:41
Hi Bluebear,

Hopefully I am not stepping on Ebbies toes here.

I flew with The Flight Training Institute Barbados Inc. in 2016. I used their Cessna 172SP with their Chief Flying Instructor William Chandler. I'll pm you his phone and e mail contacts.

The flight school is at the south side of the airport opposite from the terminal. From Dover beach you turn right at the petrol station near the airport and follow the rough single track road keeping the perimeter fence on your left.

It was encouraging to see flying training taking place on what is a pretty small island. We did the usual tourist thing with a 45 minute flight round the island.

Ebbie 2003
14th Jan 2017, 11:22
Hello no toe stepping problems :)

First some bad news - the 172 is out of service at the moment, awaiting parts - may be back in service while you're here.

The most reliable would be Art Taylor's Six (actually Art and Ryan Roach's - Ryan owns the El Tigre catamaran cruise company).

You can arrange rental through the flight training institute (basically the light airplane club - the rules for an ATO here needs the separation).

Not yet been up to Florida to bring my Archer back - may have done so while you're here - I will post on here once I have.

Katamarino
14th Jan 2017, 15:20
Need someone to fly it down for you? :p

Bluebear1872
20th Jan 2017, 19:38
Thanks for the reply. Arrive in Barbados tomorrow so will try and get something organised.
Hello no toe stepping problems :)

First some bad news - the 172 is out of service at the moment, awaiting parts - may be back in service while you're here.

The most reliable would be Art Taylor's Six (actually Art and Ryan Roach's - Ryan owns the El Tigre catamaran cruise company).

You can arrange rental through the flight training institute (basically the light airplane club - the rules for an ATO here needs the separation).

Not yet been up to Florida to bring my Archer back - may have done so while you're here - I will post on here once I have.

Ebbie 2003
5th Jul 2017, 16:51
With school holiday season approaching I thought I would update people on airplanes in Barbados.

As things currently stand there are four airplanes in Barbados available for hire;

1) A Cessna 172S (with a very wizzy, wizzy panel!), it is Barbados registered and is operated by the light airplane club, flying out of the south ramp. As it is a Barbados registered airplane one must have a Barbados licence to fly it solo outside of Barbados airspace (to other islands). However it can be solo'd inside Barbados airspace with any ICAO licence, subject to checkout. It has an autopilot for those flights to other islands. This airplane I understand rents for B$480/hr

2) A Cessna 152; again, operated by the light airplane club, Barbados registered and flying out of the south ramp - other comments as above. It is the primary training airplane in Barbados. This I understand rents for B$280-300 per hour.

3) A US registered Cherokee Six, operated by Art Taylor and Ryan Roach, it is the airplane that fly the lobsters in for Lobster Alive and other restaurant on the island. It is a complex and 200HP+ thus one needs complex and high power endorsements on ones FAA licence. To the best of my knowledge there is not currently on the island an FAA instructor who can sign off those endorsements - so come prepared if you want to solo the Six. On the two out of three rule if you want to solo the Six you will need an FAA PPL as a minimum (a 61.75 piggyback on an EASA, JAR etc. will do plus the endorsements). The Six has a roll autopilot for the inter island flights. I do believe that there may be some minimum hours requirements on the Six, I will confirm and post an update. This airplane has two rental rates, within Barbados airpace I beleive B$480/hr and B$580/hr if leaving the airspace (going to other islands).

4) An Archer II, owned and operated by me, it just came off a horribly expensive refit and I still await bits falling off in its first 50 hours of operation. It is US registered, rules for licences as with the Six except no endorsements needed. It has a full autopilot with altitude hold, also life jackets, a four person raft and GPS PLB. It rents for B$450/hr.

Other costs etc.

The good news is that Barbados has no landing fees for any of these airplanes, so yes you can fly circuits all day playing dodge 'em with the wide bodied jets and no extra cost. Other islands all have very complicated fees for landings, departures etc. you can get advice on that while here.

If staying in Barbados airspace you will be needing a local flight plan even to fly circuits - not a difficult proposition, a simple phone call (it's not a full on ICAO flight plan).

It leaving - yes, the ICAO flight plan, CARICOM eAPIS and thing called an Asycuda number (something to do with Customs - they cost hard cash - I have never figured out what it does, I even think it is not needed but why take the risk). These all seem daunting, but when you have done it one it is quite simple.

Insurance - I believe all of the airplanes are insured for what they do, but it is up to you to check - BUT, do not assume that there is a subrogation waiver in place, see that there is - otherwise or maybe do it anyway buy renter insurance with adequate cover before you come here (so far as I am aware it cannot be bought here) - for US residents the Avemco, AOPA etc do 'work' here.

Licences, yes, they must be up to date, yes, you must have the current medical for any licence you rely on (61.75 users take note!), yes, if 61.75 BOTH the base licence and the 61.75 must be within flight review.

Bring your headset as you may have problems borrowing one here.

Do come and fly in Barbados the weather is flyable 350+ days of the year and flying to other islands is not only great fun but a lot, lot cheaper than the Twin Otters etc.