PDA

View Full Version : 737-800 retractable stairs strut hazard

Sober Lark
30th Jul 2012, 14:03
Whilst seated close to the front of a 737-800 recently I noticed the airline using a retractable stairs from the forward left cabin door. On either side of the handrail there appears to be some sort of a removable supporting strut or a hand rail extension that the cabin crew remove and store inside the aircraft. Passengers certainly wouldn't be permitted to bring such articles onboard and it appears they are not very securily stored. Whilst observing this practice I wondered what risk management or hazard identification expert has missed this? Perhaps a change of practice has been suggested to the airline but ignored or not enforced. Perhaps room for improvement?Thank you for your time.

BOAC
30th Jul 2012, 14:24
The stairs must have changed, since these 'handles' to which you refer were part of the stairs and were retracted into the frame before the stairs were retracted. My 700s did not have 'NG' stairs so I do not know if they had changed design..

In any case, aircraft parts are not generally considered to be 'dangerous', as with the fire axe, cabin crew tools etc.

750XL
30th Jul 2012, 14:50
Does this help:

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/Boeing%20737-800,%20EI-DLJ%2008-10.pdf

HAWK21M
4th Oct 2012, 09:57
In normal mode unless the Handrails were stored,sequence sensors will hamper Airstair operation.