PDA

View Full Version : Flying after a baby

KandiFloss
29th Jul 2012, 12:56
Hello prunners,

It's a while since i've posted on here due to having a baby, and i've missed having the time to read the articles in the private flying forum where I used to enjoy 'hanging out'.

The time has come to think about returning to flying, which has always been at the back of my mind ever since I had to hang up my head-set in February.

Although I am looking forward to being back in the air again, I am a little apprehensive because of my new responsibility. It has even crossed my mind whether I should be flying at all, but I love flying, and it's part of who I am.

I'm posting this to ask if anyone has been in a similar situation? I realise that i'm not going to have a huge response as there probably won't be that many female pilots reading this, especially female pilots who have had babies!

Many thanks, K x

Grob Queen
29th Jul 2012, 13:15
Hi Kandi,
Well, firstly congrats on the little 'un!:D

My thoughts (for what their worth because I am not a Mum and have no intention of being so as I hate kids - especially babies!!) is that if flying is you and I am sure that you are a safe pilot, then there should be no need to give up.

Although I am not a mum, I can empathise on the part which you say I love flying, and it's part of who I am. because that IS totally me too, and I would not wish to give up for whatever reason.

On the other hand, I know of a female fast jet pilot who hung up her gro-bag after having a baby and didn't want anything to do with flying at all, as that part of her life had gone.

Just depends on how you feel I guess....

have you thought about contacting the British Women Pilot's Association, as they may have some members in your situation.

Whichever course you decide, best of luck and if we hear of a baby called Magneto...we'll know whose it is ;)

GQ

Gertrude the Wombat
29th Jul 2012, 15:50
For some, the practical realities of live intrude. In our case it was the cost of childcare - it was thirteen years before that had dropped down to the level where I could afford to fly again.

jxk
29th Jul 2012, 16:07
Wasn't there a female ferry pilot who took her baby with her across the Atlantic on delivery flights?

G-F0RC3
29th Jul 2012, 21:24
My initial glance at the topic title made me think: "woah, that's a fast baby!". Then, within the same second of thinking that, realised what it actually meant. :)

Congratulations on your new baby! You are going to be one of the coolest mums ever because not many kids can say their mum is a pilot!

I think you should get back into flying. Technically speaking you're safer in the air than you are on the road, so I don't see a safety-related argument which stacks up against the statistics.

All the best for whatever you decide to do! :ok:

POBJOY
29th Jul 2012, 22:17
We just strapped a 'baby seat' (facing rear) in the c150 and it worked just fine. (may need a sun hat)

flybymike
29th Jul 2012, 22:20
I gather that the hearing of very young babies can be damaged by flying in light aircraft.

Genghis the Engineer
30th Jul 2012, 05:07
I gather that the hearing of very young babies can be damaged by flying in light aircraft.

In my professional life at-least, people making glib statements like that get asked to provide references and citations.

G

mad_jock
30th Jul 2012, 06:19
Babies for years have been transported around Scotland from the islands in Islanders and Seakings and thats the really ill ones.

There was a thread in the medical forum on it and the medical types seemed to think that there wasn't a problem. I move babies all the time in a noisy TP and 90% of the time they are asleep after the first engine start.

Johnm
30th Jul 2012, 07:14
You might want give the baby some ear protection and you might want to look at your life insurance cover, but not because of flying per se, because of the increased responsibility and the uncertainty of life in general!

jxc
30th Jul 2012, 07:20
Congrats

I took my youngest up when he was 6months straped him and car seat back C172 put my father next to him. I rolled a blanket and put on his head like a headset (if you know what I mean) he fell asleep on the climbout !! problem is he loves flying now aged 3

flybymike
30th Jul 2012, 07:53
Originally Posted by flybymike

In my professional life at-least, people making glib statements like that get asked to provide references and citations.

I long ago learned not to pontificate on internet forums unless I was sure of my facts. That is why I merely stated what I had heard alleged, and not that what I had heard, was necessarily true.

AdamFrisch
30th Jul 2012, 08:05
Here's a mom taking her son for a trip in the Piper. Go for it!

Alaska Wing Men: Zaz & Joe Fly Home on Vimeo

Genghis the Engineer
30th Jul 2012, 08:11
Babies for years have been transported around Scotland from the islands in Islanders and Seakings and thats the really ill ones.

There was a thread in the medical forum on it and the medical types seemed to think that there wasn't a problem. I move babies all the time in a noisy TP and 90% of the time they are asleep after the first engine start.

According to my parents, when very young, I was taken to the RAF Leuchars airshow where I contentedly slept through the whole thing. When the jet noise stopped, I woke up and started crying.

There's a possibility that that set the pattern for the rest of my life :E

G

mad_jock
30th Jul 2012, 08:27
Nice yummy mummy video

peterh337
30th Jul 2012, 08:44
Obviously you want to make sure that the ear protection is in place properly and works, because the baby is not going to be able to tell you.

Without protection, hearing will be damaged in a typical GA piston cockpit. The sound level is way too high for long term exposure.

I have never flown with a baby but have flown with "kids" at altitude and you have to be on top of them, making sure they are using the oxygen, are monitoring it, and if they go to sleep they have to use a mask.

Otherwise, go for it :ok: They really enjoy lazy eights, and variations thereof. :)

'India-Mike
30th Jul 2012, 09:00
Yes, I would encourage you to return to flying either with or without your child. There are so many reasons to do so.

As the main breadwinner in my household my risk assessment and management didn't change after the birth of my son but I did pause longer for thought when assessing my flying, either with or without him. He now takes me flying:ok:

Wasn't there a female ferry pilot who took her baby with her across the Atlantic on delivery flights?....not sure of that, but I did know of one female ferry pilot who took her teenage daughter with her on a ferry flight

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/2003/a03a0022/a03a0022.pdf

As the last person to fly that aeroplane before she took it a couple of days later, it certainly at the time forced me to re-evaluate whether or not I should have continued to fly with parental responsibilities.

Then again you could get hit by a bus crossing the road. Go on, fly again. But just think a little longer and harder about each flight. It'll enhance your airman(woman)ship:ok:

24Carrot
30th Jul 2012, 12:39
As others have said, there is a tiny risk associated with almost any daily activity. Even buses can crash!

Undeniably, flying increases that tiny risk, and it is an avoidable risk - a bit like going on holiday in an earthquake zone, which lots of people do.

But to focus on that tiny risk is to ignore the overwhelmingly most likely outcome, whether you fly or not: nothing bad happens!

So now the difference is: which kind of role model do you want to be for your child? The pilot, or the person who thinks mothers shouldn't be pilots?

It is really a personal choice with no right or wrong answer, so I hope the comment above does not come across as rude, but you did ask on a pilot's forum!:)

Go for it!:ok:

englishal
30th Jul 2012, 13:37
The problem is protecting their hearing. I haven't taken our 1yo flying yet as I know that he'll pull off any ear defenders in about a second and it is too noisy in the cabin.

AdamFrisch
30th Jul 2012, 17:23
India Mike. Tragic report, as usual, but she opted to set out from Prestwick without a working turn coordinator. Not a big deal, until that AI fails. Which it did in hard IMC. After that, especially at night, you are pretty much doomed. I suppose vigilant cross referencing of a compass, VSI, speed and altitude could perhaps keep you at the very best level for a short period - if you're a superhuman pilot - but as soon as you instigate a turn it would probably be all over.

I just happened to see Dynon present their new electronic Pocket Panel EFIS that you just velcro to the dash. It's $1400 and it would have saved this womans life. I'm going to get one as a backup. It's not FAA approved, but anything portable doesn't have to be. I'd rather save my life and worry about bureaucrats later.

flybymike
30th Jul 2012, 17:42
I must admit that Dynon is a very natty piece of kit.

ericferret
30th Jul 2012, 19:08
Beware of daughter trauma syndrome.

As they get older and have flown the nest they do like to inflict pain on their mothers for the numerous horrors they were subjected to as a child.

Our youngest likes to detail the permanent mental anguish inflicted on her when handed the controls for a minute while mum sorted out her maps.

Apart from that she is a perfectly normal intelligent adult!!!!!!

Jude098
30th Jul 2012, 19:13
Ask your AME. Better than asking your GP or midwife as they probably don't fly.
I know you can buy special ear plugs for flying as a passenger in 2 sizes (childrens and adults) which don't block the sound but do stop pressure building up. Thats one of the dangers I think for little ones when descending (as a passenger I know as soon as a commercial jet starts its descent though not had problems as PIC or passenger in a single or twin prop aircraft) not a good idea to exert excessive pressure on eardrums; also the noise level could cause some problems to hearing (I'm also a musician) which once damaged is not repairable.

My instructor always wore ANR Bose as was terrified of any hearing loss and therefore loosing her Class 1 medical cert.

jxc
30th Jul 2012, 21:33
Best to get the little one to wear the headset on at home as game they get used to it quick enough.

Agaricus bisporus
31st Jul 2012, 12:20
Flying after a baby

Ah! The unintended consequences of not reading what you've written.

Wouldn't it be easier to just run after it, or is it a very fast baby with a huge head-start?

peterh337
31st Jul 2012, 13:31
Once they stop crawling on all fours, they get really quick.

I Love Flying
31st Jul 2012, 15:54
FWIW I was first taken flight in a SEP at about six weeks old. This was a regular occurrence all through my life and headsets weren't worn back in those days as the radio came through the speaker and there was a handheld mic for transmissions. I don't think headsets were introduced until I was in my early to mid teens.

I am now mid thirties, with a PPL of my own and my hearing is just fine.

Don't give up, as you say, it is part of who YOU are. Just because you are a mother now, doesn't mean you have to lose your identity.

KandiFloss
31st Jul 2012, 16:12
Hi all, and thanks to everyone who has replied to my post!

pboyall - Yes that's just it, the worry if anything happened to me who would be there for her. I know that her father will always be there for her (god forbid), but I think that girls need a female role model in their life (which I hopefully will be).
I see that you are located in the East Midlands, just out of interest where are you based (as a pilot)? I used to live in Nottingham and regularly visited East Midlands Airport and Tollerton to do some 'spotting'!
I never thought about putting a car seat in an aircraft! It would have to be the front seat though as I normally fly C-152s.

Grob Queen - Thanks for offering your congratulations :) . I do value your opinion. Before my baby came along I was not broody at all, I was totally into my flying. I just didn't know what to do if someone handed me a baby, I felt really uncomfortable around babies. In my first experience of holding my friends baby last year I 'clicked' at her, to be told by my friend's husband ... "She's not a horse"!
I've been mad about flying since I was 22 and really wanted to be an airline pilot but I wasn't from a wealthy background and was unable to get into flying through the RAF. I've spent the last few years saving up to fly and finally got there. I'm probably too old now to get into an airline but hey ho. I can still fly for fun ... not that i'm saying that airline flying isn't fun, but as i'm constantly told ... there are only so many 'night-Dalaman' flights that you can do before the 'gloss' wears off! Mind you, i'd do it tomorrow if I was given the opportunity!
It's pretty cool that you know a female fast jet pilot. I see that you are based in Lincolnshire, it's lovely over there. My Uncle lives near Netherthorpe Airfield.
Good idea of yours to suggest contacting the BWPA. Thanks for your reply!

Gertrude the Wombat - Wow that's a long time not to fly, must have been like starting again? I know what you mean though, I was really surprised when I heard how much childcare can cost.

Jxk - Not sure, I will look that up. I often wonder, from a practical point of view, how women go to the loo on long ferry flights. I'm aware of lady J's (or whatever they're called!) but it must be really awkward though ... easier for a guy!

G-FORCE3 - 'flying after a baby' ... I see what you mean! My daughter is coming on well but not able to fly yet ... and I don't think that her RT would be understood just yet, mind you, i've heard some bad RT in my time!
Thanks for offering your congratulations, I have to say I was probably more anxious about the thought of giving birth than of flying. Hopefully she'll think i'm cool but we'll see, eiether that or she'll think i'm mad!

POBJOY - I never thought about putting the car seat into the 152 ... do they have ISOFIX points? :)

flybymike - I wasn't thinking of taking her just yet. If I/we do take her she will have her ears suitably protected ... Baby Bose?!

mad jock - That's interesting. Cheshire Police had an Islander before they got rid of it to get a helicopter, I used to love watching it fly. I wrote to the police to ask if I could go out in the Islander but they said no. I read an article about the Islander in 'Pilot' magazine, I found it really interesting. I was amazed that for it's size that it has similar take-off and landing speeds to that a PA-28.
You must do some really interesting and challenging flying where you are?

jxc - wow its great that you took your baby up at six months. I think I know what you mean about the blanket! He must have enjoyed being in the aeroplane to fall asleep so quickly. Mind you, when I put our baby into her car-seat she doesn't like it at first but as soon as I start to drive she falls asleep. It's great to hear that you've carried on with your flying. I bet your son loves it, just the age where he's taking everything in :) ?

AdamFrisch - thanks for putting that video on. I watched it last night with my daughter and she was mesmerised by the video. I know she didn't understand it but she was grouchy last night and was in a 'i'm just about to kick off any minute' mood :uhoh: and the video distracted her for a bit. I also enjoyed the video!

Genghis the Engineer - I went to Waddington Airshow in 2011 (fab!) and there were some very noisy fast jets, I think that one was a Tornado ... I love Tornadoes. Bear with me, im getting to the point! One thing that I was surprised about was the amount of children wearing ear protection. I can understand it to a certain point, but one of the exciting things about an Airshow is hearing how noisy the aircraft are. I remember going to Waddington when I was around 15 and there was no one wearing ear protection then. Modern times!

Peterh 337 - She will be wearing ear protection when she's old enough to come with me. I don't think that we'll be flying high enough to have to use oxygen if she flies with me. The terrain around here isn't too big around here, oh ... apart from a big lump of rock called 'Snowdon'.
Lazy eights ... aren't some aircraft prohibited from doing those?

India-Mike - Just read the link on your post, scary stuff. I guess that you just never know when your time is up. A friend gave me her 'Amelia' DVD (about Amelia Earhart), and it made me think about the fact that no matter how experienced a pilot you are, you just never know what might happen. I remember reading the sad thread about Bob Jones, who was a very experienced pilot who died flying. I think that, no matter how well prepared, how careful or how experienced you are, when it comes to flying there can be something that you don't think about which gets you (but hopefully won't :\). It's like driving, you can be the safest driver in the world, but some nutter on the road around the corner might not be and take you out. You just have to hope that you're not in the wrong place at the wrong time.
My new responsibilty will make me doubly cautious now though.

24 carrot - No I don't think that your comment has come across as rude. I wouldn't want my daughter to grow up and think, 'Oh I can't do that because i'm a girl'. Things like money and medicals can stop you from flying (or whatever you want to do), but there generally is always a way of achieving your goals somehow. It's all about passion and determination.

eric ferret - I think that all parents get blamed for something whilst their children are growing up don't they ... damned if you do, damned if you don't?!

Jude098 - Yeah i've got to see my AME before flying again as my medical has elapsed now anyway.

Agaricus bisporus - Try trying to post something sensible whilst dealing with a demanding 7 week old baby!

Thanks again for eveyone's replies, to which I have replied back to. Please can the grammar/spelling police not be too hard on me if i've made any mistakes :ugh:

Jan Olieslagers
31st Jul 2012, 16:50
KF,

First of all, as a high-ranking officer in the spelling brigade, I hereby solemnly declare you cleared to proceed at the present level.

That said, I think that as a pilot you can and indeed must calculate your risk and live with it and fly with it, and your offspring will have to take you for you who are. Which they generally do very well up to a certain age, when they can show splashes, sometimes violent, of resentment at whatever characteristic of their parents. I well remember my own prances when I was fourteen! But whether you take to snorkeling or to xeroxing for the local amateur theatre, if they want to beat the dog they'll surely find a stick, as we say here.

There's two sides to that medal: you are certainly at an increased risk of leaving your child short of one parent - but OTOH if all works out, as it does normally, your kid will one day boast "my mum's a pilot!" and be proud of you, and envied - enriching for both of you.

Protecting the baby's ears is a more serious matter, and your AME is the person of choice for advice. Myself would also be concerned for sudden panic - will your mother instincts prevail over your pilot automatisms?

FWIW my grandson is 16 months now, I'd much love to take him up and his parents wouldn't object, I think. But for myself I think he must be tall enough to see over the engine cowling, and grown enough to be more or less dependable, at my estimation he'd have to be 10 or so.

Above all, my grand congrats for carrying the baby, do enjoy life with her, do enjoy flying!

peterh337
31st Jul 2012, 17:48
Lazy eights ... aren't some aircraft prohibited from doing those?

Not AFAIK. The L8 is a non-aerobatic maneuver, with pitch and roll kept within 30 degrees. Normally aerobatic stuff is 60 degrees or beyond.

The L8 is a very gentle piece of flying but it makes your stomach go up in the air at the top - which is why kids love them, and many adults hate them :)

Even the chandelle is limited to 30 degrees pitch and roll, although it does seem a lot more aggressive.

As regards oxygen - I was using that only as an example of having to watch kids and other less responsible people, to make sure they are doing it right. You don't need oxygen for VFR anywhere in the UK, unless you are doing some kind of flight testing.