PDA

View Full Version : Dick Thurbin

A and C
27th Jul 2012, 11:08
It is with great sadness that I have to report the passing of Richard ( Dick) Thurbin following a short illness.

Dick was a long time PPL instructor and examiner and had only retired from the Airways Flying Club at Wycombe air park shortly before Christmas.

He was a voice of calm reason and sound advice to all those who were learning to fly and his wise words will be sorely missed.

wsmempson
27th Jul 2012, 11:38
Hugely sad news. Dick had only recently retired, and will be sorely missed.

He taught me to fly and got me through my PPL in a little over minimum hours with good humour, a unique common-sense brand of teaching and massive reserves of patience. I think I am right in saying that had I not drawn a very lucky straw in having Dick teach me, I almost certainly wouldn't have bothered to finish my PPL and, 1,000hrs further down the line, would not still be in the grip of the bug that is flying.

Dick was a career instructor who made a very real difference to the to the lives of many students and whose contribution to the British GA scene was considerable.

The British world of GA has lost a real mensch (Mensch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mensch)) - may the air be still and the skies blue, where-ever you may be, Dick.

500 above
27th Jul 2012, 14:49
Very sad indeed. What a pleasurable experience it was working for BAFC under his wing. RIP Dick. We've lost another good 'un.

stevfire2
27th Jul 2012, 20:38
as others have said, a hugely patient, genuine and knowledgeable character, who had time for everbody. such a shame that he never got the retirement he should have had. he will be fondly remembered by all who trained and flew with, and all he worked with. a friend for over 20 years, god bless you dick.:{

Sillert,V.I.
29th Jul 2012, 17:25
A first class bloke whose training somehow managed to keep me alive in spite of my own stupidity and crass decision making.

I remember on local sorties he would sometimes retune the radio when he thought his student wasn't looking, and watch in amusement at their antics as they attempted to deal with the subsequent 'radio failure' on rejoining the circuit.

RIP Dick.

telecaster
29th Jul 2012, 19:40
Fond memories of an absolute gent. God bless you Dick and RIP

telecaster
1st Aug 2012, 21:25
Funeral at Amersham Crematorium on 11 August at 1215pm

exlatccatsa
2nd Aug 2012, 08:20
I first met Dick in Redbird Dallas whilst learning to fly with Curzon Flight back in 1980. And then flew with him at Booker in 1981.
A nicer bloke you couldn't wish to meet.
RIP Dick

Si76
9th Jan 2014, 18:54
I've only just seen this - I'm gutted to hear of his passing. I had a trial flight with Dick at Booker in June 2011 & he was so patient, friendly & good humoured. My one & only time in a small plane at the controls & I was lucky to have Dick guiding me. Memories to treasure. RIP Dick.