PDA

View Full Version : Approach and Flare at PPL level

chetcutijean
24th Jul 2012, 10:36
Hey there! I'm a PPL student and I have been flying for quite some time now and I am currently in the circuits stage. I did perform glide approaches, flapless and full flaps approaches so I am quite familiar with the different configurations. The problem is that I can't seem to fully understand and furthermore, put it into practice, the idea that pitch alters the speed and power changes the approach path. Whenever I end up on a low approach path, I do add power yet alter the pitch setting also. The reason behind this is that I do not feel comfortable with the aircraft having to recover from a low approach at such a slow rate (ie: it takes too long to return to its proper approach path), thus I usually pitch up. Is this a correct technique? On the other hand, when it comes to flaring, I do not always carry out a smooth landing though in general, my instructors advises me just to hold the aircraft a little longer and pull back on the control column a little further. The technique that I have been thought is that a few feet above the runway, you level out with the runway and hold the aircraft in that position, gradually increasing back pressure until the main wheels touch the ground then gently lowering the nose. I do not have any problem with this technique yet would greatly appreciate any tips and tricks from your experiences as pilots. Thanks http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

foxmoth
24th Jul 2012, 15:44
This really should be discussed with your instructor, but actually your technique on the approach sounds ok - remember that performance is a combination of attitude and power, if you are low and correct speed (or fast), then add power you will then accelerate unless you also raise the nose to keep the speed correct, as you are doing - the time this is incorrect is if you are low and slow, then you need to add power to correct the approach (and more power than if you were at the correct speed) and either keep the nose where it was or even lower it a bit for the right speed.
As for landing, I advise student to level off, as you say, just a few feet off the ground, then try to stay there as long as you can by gradually moving the cc back, remember, as the speed falls the wings will lose lift, so you actually need to slightly increase the pitch to stop it descending rather than just hold it level- in fact you are trying NOT to land! Eventually the main wheels will touch. On light aircraft, my view is that you do not physically lower the nose, but hold the cc where it is and allow it to settle by itself, in fact on bumpy or rough grass it is not a bad idea to try to hold it off even longer.:ok:

RedsBluesGreens
24th Jul 2012, 16:00
I agree - You shouldn't need to physically lower the nose. So many people dump the nose once the mains are down and it can really ruin a great landing. Once the mains are down just keep pulling back and it will come back down by itself. And I dare say that with your runway at Luqa you won't be in too much of a rush!

Piper.Classique
25th Jul 2012, 11:31
You might need to compress the nose leg to re-connect the nosewheel steering (DR 400 for example) but you can do this after the nosewheel is on the ground, which happens anyway as you slow down. A smidge of brake will do the trick.

foxtrot-oscar
25th Jul 2012, 13:21
A couple of tricks that stood me in good stead:

Height judgement, look out of the side window, the height at which to flare seems easier to judge somehow.
Flare, in a 152, try to put the nose onto the far end of the runway and try to keep it there as long as possible.

Both worked for me, but usual disclaimers apply......

chetcutijean
25th Jul 2012, 13:42
Thanks! The fact that you just need to hold the aircraft and increase back pressure rather than lowering the nose smoothly seems like a great idea. With regards to the runways here at Luqa, I have got lots and lots of runway available, landing distance is not a problem. I'm just focusing a lot on my flares as to be able to go on my first solo