PDA

View Full Version : Trial Lesson Today

Kapish
24th Jul 2012, 10:32
Hello everyone, I hope you all are well. I have finally taken the plunge and booked myself for a trial lesson today at Denham. I'm a bit nervous now, but really looking forward to it.

Any tips? Cheers.

Greg

stevelup
24th Jul 2012, 10:35
No tips - just enjoy it!

foxmoth
24th Jul 2012, 10:45
Listen to what you are told in the briefing and during the flight and try to do what the instructor tells you to and you should be fine, also remember that if he has not taken control then he is happy for you to keep flying even if the aircraft does not seem as in control as you would like- just keep flying and talk to the instructor, he will help you sort it, though you will probably not find this happens and you just have fun, enjoy it and may be surprised at how easy it is.

BackPacker
24th Jul 2012, 11:04
In addition to trying to fly the plane, do the turns and everything, don't forget to take a few moments to enjoy the view.

mad_jock
24th Jul 2012, 11:09
Only word of wisdom is get the instructor to take the photo's if your taking a camera.

Unfortunately looking through a camera viewer in some cases may spoil the trip.

The instructor will have a battle hardened ears and stomach and won;t get the same issues.

Have fun!!!

lenhamlad
24th Jul 2012, 11:42
Talk nicely to the bank manager tomorrow to get the loan needed to get your PPL because I am sure you will be hooked.

Ballywalter Flyer
24th Jul 2012, 12:22
Really useful tips Foxmoth.
Most of all enjoy the flight, THEN worry about how you are going to fund your PPL

Genghis the Engineer
24th Jul 2012, 13:43
Have a light meal beforehand, wear light clothing, turn up early and most-of-all, enjoy it.

G

Golf-Sierra
24th Jul 2012, 14:42
Please share how it went.

I'm also thinking of doing my PPL at that airfield.

Golf-Sierra

Discorde
25th Jul 2012, 11:20
This booklet may be useful to you. Enjoy the flight!

FANS
25th Jul 2012, 11:42
Enjoy it. Take in the views. Relax. Relax. Relax.

Aware
25th Jul 2012, 12:07
You should have a great day for weather, enjoy your first experience at learning to fly - beware it is highly highly addictive, the nervous bit is natural and very normal dont worry about that.

Kapish
26th Jul 2012, 16:28
Hi guys, sorry for the late reply, been really busy at work with all this Olympic preparations.

The day went rather well, I arrived in plenty of time, was told that the instructor is still flying so there will be a delay which was fine by me.
I met my the instructor, went to a little briefing room, had a little chat about the days event, he showed me a model of the plane which we will be flying, it was a cessna 152. He told me about the controls and some of the cockpit instruments and what they do.

We then went out to the plane, he checked the fuel and some other checks on the airplane. I got in, it was very small inside i must say, and I'm 6"2. The instructor did say If I am going to do my PPL I should do my training in a bigger plane and I agree.

So we then taxied out to the runway, he made a call to the tower and away we go. I was surprised how quickly we got into the air, but it was an amazing feeling I must say and the views over the Buckinghamshire countryside was breath taking.
We climbed to about 2000 feet and level off, I think that was what he said and he did have to make a few more calls to the RAF I think because we were in the controlled zone, rather worrying when he said we could be shot down if we strayed outside the zone etc.

He handed the controls over to me and told me to make a right turn at first and level off and then a left turn and level off. Then he talked me through the trimming procedure, that I found a bit tricky. I also use the rudder pedals too. While flying he pointed out a few landmarks to me, Wembley Stadium, Heathrow Airport, Easyjet hanger at Luton Airport and some other places.
We then made our way back to Denham and made our descend. It was smooth touchdown by him I must say and we taxied back in. Took a few photos, had a bit of a chat and was presented with a certificate of my first flight in the office. I said my thank you's and goodbye and left with a big smile on my face.

Next step for me now is to book some more lessons. :)

Thank you all for your advice, you guys are great.:D

mad_jock
26th Jul 2012, 16:36
You don't have to do it in a 4 seater a PA38 otherwise known a a tommahawk has more than enough head room for you with out paying extra.

There will be now laod of folk that say don;t do it they are deangerous and even the instructors might say they are a horrible aircraft.

They are the marmite of training aircraft some folk love them (I am one) and others hate them. Personally I hate teaching in C150/152 because they are docile heaps and cramped to boot. where as the tommy is livelyish and does all the things that an aircraft should do has two doors and is quite roomy.

stevelup
26th Jul 2012, 17:32
he did have to make a few more calls to the RAF I think because we were in the controlled zone, rather worrying when he said we could be shot down if we strayed outside the zone etc.

Don't worry - that isn't normal. It's just because of the Olympics - you won't normally get shot down if you get lost :)

Kapish
27th Jul 2012, 06:45
Thanks for your advice, I'll keep it in mind.

rennaps
27th Jul 2012, 11:05
Kapish,
You are now hooked, line and sinker
Glad to hear you have now joined the club :D

foxmoth
28th Jul 2012, 08:54
they are deangerous and even the instructors might say they are a horrible aircraft.

I am one that is not a big fan of the Pa38, but anyone that says they are dangerous is talking rubbish. Personally I would rather teach on something with better coordinated controls, but most students will not have the experience to notice, and most pilots learning on them will think they are fine until they fly something like a Chippie, Bulldog or better.

Piper.Classique
28th Jul 2012, 19:38
I don't think it matters what your basic trainer is, (as long as you can fit comfortably) much more important to have a good instructor that you can get on with, and to fly regularly. It will help if you fly close to home, if that's at all possible. Turn up on time for your lessons, having prepared by reading about the exercises you intend to fly. If you have questions, please ask your instructor for help. You can make notes at home if you think you might forget what you want to ask. Pprune is a great place, but face to face is even better. When you get to flying crosscountry, you might want to take a short holiday with a booking or two every day to make the most of weather slots....
Enjoy!

Gertrude the Wombat
28th Jul 2012, 21:27
A 152 is fine for 6'2", I never had any problems.

In a 172 I have to have the sun visor forward rather than above my head, but that's all - don't recall whether it was the same in the 152.