PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Club Open Weekend - Enstone 28/29 July

Captain Gadget
22nd Jul 2012, 11:52
Hi everybody

I'd like to make all who are interested in the progress of the Mk 26b Spitfire project at Enstone aware that next weekend, 28/29 July, an Open Weekend is being held at the airfield. Numbers are necessarily limited and tickets (£7 per adult, under 14s free, all proceeds to the Royal British Legion) can be obtained from the Enstone Flying Club website:

Enstone Flying Club, Oxfordshire,Shop,Spitfire Club (http://www.enstoneflyingclub.co.uk/catalogue_main.php?catID=4837) (scroll to bottom of page for options)

(If the link doesn't work, go to enstoneflyingclub.co.uk, select 'Shop', scroll down and select 'Spitfire Club'. Scroll down again and the ticketing options are at the bottom of the page that appears).

There are planned to be two sessions on each day, the first (aimed at those with a potential interest in acquiring a share in an aircraft) from 0930-1100 which will include a hangar tour and presentation (ticket holders are, of course, welcome to stay on afterwards); and 'open house' from 1100 onwards. Please ensure that you purchase tickets for the correct session (and date)! One word of caution: there is no option to turn up and purchase a ticket 'on the day'. I am assured that hot food and refreshments will be available and that the Clubhouse bar will be open for business!

Our first airframe, EN-A, is externally nearing completion and will be on view at the weekend. Having just returned from seeing her, I can testify that she is a jaw-dropping and inspirational sight with her engine, cowlings and prop now fitted - but don't take my word for it, why not come and see for yourself?

Fly-ins can, of course, be arranged - please contact the Skipper, Paul Fowler, on 01608 678204 for further details.

Looking forward to meeting many fellow PPRuNers at Enstone...

Gadget :ok:

Captain Gadget
24th Jul 2012, 12:58
The weather is looking reasonable for the weekend, so let's have a few more flyers-in! All welcome!

Regards

Captain Gadget
24th Jul 2012, 16:43
I have just been informed that the ticket sales web page for the Spitfire Club open weekend will be closing at 1800 on Friday 27 July.

Once again may I point out that there is no 'turn up on the day' option - and that tickets ordered through the website need to be pre-printed and brought with you to gain entry.

I will hopefully be able to post some photos (even video, perhaps?) of the event afterwards for those who couldn't make it.

stickandrudderman
24th Jul 2012, 17:08
It seems a bit strange having such a regimented ticketing procedure. Why not just a booking and a "voluntary" contribution of, for example, £7.00 to go to the Royal British Legion.
I presume this is an attempt to muster up potential participants in the scheme? If my presumption is correct then surely you want to be making it as easy as possible for as many as possible to turn up as and when they feel like it?
Just my tuppence worth you understand.

Captain Gadget
24th Jul 2012, 19:58
Thanks for your post, stickandrudderman.

This is, in fact, the second open weekend that has been held by the project (the first having been back in September 2011, before I became involved in it). I think that the ticketing system being used is probably a result of a large number of people turning up 'on spec' last time and a need to limit, and to be closely aware of, numbers, largely for Health and Safety (as well as for catering?) reasons. Enstone is a small, but very active airfield and visitors and aircraft are inevitably going to come into close proximity - 'nuff said. Not being fully aware of exactly who is on site at an event such as this is not an option.

That said, although I'm a shareholder (but not in the first airframe, sadly, so I have a fair bit of waiting still to do) I'm not a mover and shaker in the project and this is just my opinion. My slant on this is that I'm just giving a public airing to what I believe is a worthy project that may be of interest to fellow PPRuNers. I'll gladly raise your point with the Skipper though.