PDA

View Full Version : TW TO method when heavy?

piperboy84
19th Jul 2012, 23:10
Took a friend out tonight for a flight, he weighs 22 stone (310LBS) I weigh 151/2 stone (217LBS) and had about 63 USG of fuel at 378lbs for a total of 905LBS, although still 30lbs under gross the TO on the damp grass strip that is not as level as it could be involved a few skips before climb out, my nephew watching the TO said the struts were getting a good workout. I normally fly with the girlfriend (110lbs) which basically involves getting the tail up (no smart assed comments please), waiting a couple of seconds then rotating.

Tonight’s TO was a completely different animal which I expected but my question is regarding proper TO technique when heavy, do I lift the tail all the way up to level to get as much airspeed as soon as possible or do I raise the tail slightly (say 6" to 12") to move the weight to the wings as soon as possible, which method will reduce the skipping?

DeltaV
20th Jul 2012, 05:57
Tend to agree with Silvaire1 as to why. Can I ask if you thought the take off ground roll was longer or shorter than your 'normal'?

I used to do the same, raise the tail early to get the fuselage pretty much horizontal, accelerate then positive pull back to unstick. Then I was told that for the shortest t/o roll to just lift the tailwheel out of the grass and let her come off when she's ready. Just about halved my ground roll.

I would not suggest this method for a taildragger with a ground attitude close to it's stall angle but many aren't like that, and it does require a little finessing just after take off.

vihai
20th Jul 2012, 11:02
Try to move the CG few AttoParsec aft :)

Crash one
21st Jul 2012, 10:09
I took a heavy pax up last evening. Strip is still a bit soggy. So flaps up, full forward stick till the tail comes up, wait for 40 kts then half flaps.
I was once told "Get the AOA off as soon as pos". Seems to work.

piperboy84
21st Jul 2012, 12:13
Can I ask if you thought the take off ground roll was longer or shorter than your 'normal'?

Somewhat longer but not significant, still used less than half the 1600 ft strip.

I tried it again last night with a heavy pax and used Silvaire's suggestion of being a bit firmer with getting the tail right up and it worked , there was a lot less skipping, however I wonder if there is a trade of when the strip has undulations which seam to be exaggerated with the tail is right up. Kinda catch 22 deal