PDA

View Full Version : Flights to Russia

shon7
3rd Apr 2002, 19:14
has anyone flown to Russia (charter or airline)? If so would you be willing to share any stories about the aviation system and facilities there.

I was looking at a curious approach plate where the holding pattern a rectangular shaped pattern around the airport and you just try the approach again. ( I think it was the Moscow airport)

Any other procedures or places where I can read about it?

Pegasus77
3rd Apr 2002, 20:43
If you've seen one, you've seen them all.

One of the few problems I once had in Moscow is that the breaking action on the runway was being reported by an IL-something with 2000 wheels. It had reported medium/good. We found no braking action at all. Was exciting after touchdown :D .

FlyingV
9th Apr 2002, 22:07
Speaking of Moscow (SVO), can someone tell me if it has an ILS ?

The reason I ask is that I made a number of trips there last year and the final approaches were somewhat different to what I am used to as a passenger - rather than a relatively smooth descent, it was usually engines power down, descend a bit, engines power up, level for a bit, engines off again etc. all the way to the rwy. In fact they were more like my own student pilot approaches :eek: (no offence to the pilots involved - I'm sure there's a good reason :D ).

Why else might such an approach have been made ?

Regards,
V.

Boss Raptor
10th Apr 2002, 07:49
Most if not all russian approach/letdowns look like that - the rectangular racetrack...SVO definately has ILS...

As for manner of approach the airspace around Moscow is very busy with a large number of airports both civil and military in a small area and restrictions as to overflying the centre of the city etc. Also many Russian aircraft that are flying internally still have very basic RNAV capability (if any at all...some still have no DME!)
and so again there is less flexability of approach profile available to both aircraft and controllers alike...

Although full radar approach equipment is in place most approaches/departures seem to be flown to a rigid framework just like a procedural STAR/SID as the controllers are not in a position to use radar vectoring as a 'tool' like their counterparts at European airports...for the reasons above.

doomsday
10th Apr 2002, 11:21
I flew to Moscow(SVO) last september. As the FO I did the walk around for the return leg, why? cos it was f'ing freezing. Take a coat!

Pegasus77
10th Apr 2002, 12:29
And sometimes they make you wait outside before they check your passport. I did forget my coat and almost died in minus 20 deg Celcius. :D
So indeed... don't forget your coat.

The same step-descent is also found in the stepclimb.

RadarContact
10th Apr 2002, 13:03
Speaking of Moscow (SVO), can someone tell me if it has an ILS ?

The reason I ask is that I made a number of trips there last year and the final approaches were somewhat different to what I am used to as a passenger - rather than a relatively smooth descent, it was usually engines power down, descend a bit, engines power up, level for a bit, engines off again etc. all the way to the rwy.

It does have ILS. But it's usually only used as a pickup after vectors along mentioned racetrack pattern to a short final.
The problem with the descent is that, unlike most other countries, there are quite a lot of different controlling units you have to talk to during approach/departure, each one of them being responsible for as much as about 1500' of altitude. Only when you have reached this border altitude (or have reported so, which is not always the same :) ) will you be passed on to the next controller, who then issues the next climb/descent clearance, and so on...

FlyingV
10th Apr 2002, 19:21
Thanks for the info everybody.

Regards,
V.