PDA

View Full Version : "Expect an ILS approach"?

Uplinker
19th Jul 2012, 08:46
Dear ATC folks,

Why do we have on some ATIS nowadays: "Expect an ILS approach"?
At an airport equipped with an ILS, that will be the normal approach aid in use. Therefore, stating this every time seems superfluous and wastes time.

Would it not be more sensible to normally say nothing about the approach, because all pilots will expect an ILS approach anyway (unless it is NOTAMed off)? Then, ONLY if the ILS or glideslope was off; say "Expect a Localiser/VOR/NDB approach"?

This might seem petty, but having to wait for the "expect an ILS approach" before one gets the wind or visibility etc. can be very frustrating.

Thanks,

U

sevenstrokeroll
19th Jul 2012, 09:00
dear uplinker:

I think you are quite misguided in your priorities. And it is funny that you don't even mention a visual approach as a possibility.

I think the atis format is just fine and if you have to listen a few seconds longer to get the visibility, well...do it.

of course if you are single pilot, single radio, you can always advise ATC and request that they READ YOU THE ATIS on the approach freq.

Captain Smithy
19th Jul 2012, 10:04
Would it not be more sensible to normally say nothing about the approach, because all pilots will expect an ILS approach anyway (unless it is NOTAMed off)? Then, ONLY if the ILS or glideslope was off; say "Expect a Localiser/VOR/NDB approach"?

The reason it's on is to clearly identify what approach is in use... just because the airport has an ILS doesn't mean it wil be the default approach aid. Can understand where you're coming from but there are a variety of reasons. ILS might be unavailable in the short term, either if u/s or if Tels are doing maintenance on it, and there's been no time to NOTAM it if it's just gone u/s while you're airborne. What if for the same reasons Radar is out of service and so it's Procedural (hence no radar vectors)... the reason it's put on the ATIS, as superfluous as it may initially seem, is to clearly confirm to pilots what approach is in use at the time and what to prepare for. And of course everyone checks the ATIS before they call Radar/Approach first don't they... :suspect:

Smithy

Uplinker
19th Jul 2012, 14:36
sevenstrokeroll:

I was not asking for a facile argument, but a reasoned answer from ATC.

Captain Smithy:

I totally agree with you so perhaps I didn't write my post very clearly? The point I was trying to make is that we don't need to be told EVERY time to expect an ILS approach - which is the norm - we ONLY need to be told if it is NOT available at short notice.

As I say, this particular point might seem petty, but it is one of a number of apparently (to me) uneccessary things that have appeared over the years, and I want to understand the reasons for them.

U

ASD
19th Jul 2012, 17:22
You fly to that airport all the time, so you are aware of what is the norm but what about a first time pilot to that airport - at least he will know what approach to expect.

ILS could be off for maintenance, so you might hear expect VOR/DME approach next time...

Really just giving you a heads up. We dont make the rules, we just abide by them (mostly) :E

spekesoftly
19th Jul 2012, 17:22
Uplinker,

CAP 493 (MATS Part 1) requires ATC to inform pilots of the approach aid being used. If it's on the ATIS then perhaps that information does not need to be passed over the R/T to each individual pilot, hopefully freeing up the airwaves a little?

reportyourlevel
19th Jul 2012, 19:22
The ATIS message should contain all or part of the following elements of information
in the order listed:
• Name of aerodrome;
• Arrival and/or departure indicator;
• Contract type, if communication is via D-ATIS;
• Designator;
• Time of origin of weather report;
• Type of approach to be expected;
• Runway(s) in use; status of arresting systems constituting a potential hazard, if
any;
• Significant runway surface conditions and, if appropriate, braking action;
• Holding/departure delay, if appropriate;
• Transition level, if applicable;
• Other essential operational information, including when LVP are in operation;
• Surface wind direction (in degrees magnetic) and speed, including significant
variations;
• Visibility and, when approved by the Authority, RVR values;
• Present weather;
• Cloud below 5000 ft, or below the highest minimum sector altitude, whichever is
greater; cumulonimbus; if the sky is obscured; vertical visibility when available;
• Air temperature and dew point;
• Altimeter settings;
• Any available information on significant meteorological phenomena in the
approach, take-off and climb-out areas;
• Trend forecast, when available;
• Specific ATIS instructions.

C&P from the CAP493, my bold. I don't think that this relieves the radar controller of his responsibility to also tell which runway and approach he is vectoring you for:

Vectoring to Final Approach
9.1 Information to aircraft
9.1.1 On commencement of vectoring to final approach the pilot is to be advised that the
aircraft will be vectored to intercept the final approach and of:
a) the runway in use;
b) the type of final approach; and
c) the procedure to be followed in the event of a radio communications failure if this
is not published.

Again, C&P from the CAP493.

DB6
19th Jul 2012, 21:28
Agree completely with Uplinker, if it is the norm there is no need to state it. Some airfield ATIS's, while no doubt with the best of intentions, are on occasion almost unusable because of the amount of 'additional information' on them - most of which is already in the NOTAMs!
Like all R/T: minimum words for maximum info.

ZOOKER
19th Jul 2012, 21:58
"Expect ILS approach", by itself is a fairly ambiguous statement.
How do you get from the holding pattern to the localizer?

Many years ago, in a galaxy far, far, away, we always stated the type of approach on initial contact with inbound A/C,
- Radar vectoring to the ILS, LLZ only, or SRA/PAR, as appropriate.

If you depart from our local airport, eastbound, it is always a DESIG SID. If you fly the route frequently, you will know this, but it is always given as an an instruction, and a read back is expected.

Anything which prevents that little mouse from completing its run through the block of cheese is O.K. in my book. :ok:

billyt
19th Jul 2012, 22:09
I always have assumed that the statement "expect an ILS approach" indicates that a visual approach is unlikely due weather conditions. So to me the statement is quite helpful.

ZOOKER
19th Jul 2012, 22:26
billyt,
Before our approach had the facility to 'swing the ILS', to the other end,
we would sometimes offer 'radar vectoring to a visual approach' to the reciprocal R/W if the W/V was calm and the METAR and traffic pattern was favourable.
Not everyone could accept it though.

FlightPathOBN
19th Jul 2012, 22:45
Many of you are answering the question, without realizing the question.

At an airport equipped with an ILS, that will be the normal approach aid in use.

That statement is not true worldwide.

Like BillyT states, if most ops are VFR, it is imperative that "expect ILS" is stated.

sevenstrokeroll
20th Jul 2012, 02:45
dear uplinker

why not just say: weather stinks like usual for the UK

by the way, you are right about one thing...IT IS PETTY

chevvron
20th Jul 2012, 10:04
In the UK at least, all RTF is recorded, so by saying 'expect ILS approach' the controller has proof that you have been told ILS approach if an incident occurs and the pilot hasn't paid full attention to the ATIS.

NigelOnDraft
20th Jul 2012, 11:10
Why do we have on some ATIS nowadays: "Expect an ILS approach"?
At an airport equipped with an ILS, that will be the normal approach aid in use. Therefore, stating this every time seems superfluous and wastes time. Obviously never been to Nice then :ooh: Perfectly serviceable ILS to 04L, only used when people forced to Go Around off the Riveria, or whatever they call it now ;)

NoD

Spitoon
20th Jul 2012, 15:18
First, little of this is UK-specific, the rules for what should go on the ATIS come from ICAO.

Second, the info is there to assist planning and briefing for the approach. One airport I worked at took the sensible decision not just to include the type of approach but how the pilot can expect to get there - normally "Expect radar vectors to the ILS", but sometimes it had to be "Expect vectors to a visual approach" or "Expect procedural ILS approach depending on serviceability of equipment and so on. As has been pointed out, just because there is an ILS doesn't mean it can be used - I'm sure that knowing this can help planning as opposed to assuming.

I always have assumed that the statement "expect an ILS approach" indicates that a visual approach is unlikely due weather conditions. Not something to be relied upon.

Sadly, although NOTAMs are a pretty good idea, many pilots just don't seem to read them or have the foolish idea to take-off before something happens/fails and a NOTAM can be sent. ATC is there, in part, to provide information to help the pilot conduct the flight safely - the general point is that it's better to have something passed to you unnecessarily than not be told something that you need to know.

As I say, this particular point might seem petty, but it is one of a number of apparently (to me) uneccessary things that have appeared over the years, and I want to understand the reasons for them.Another 'sadly'. Many of the things that are done that appear to be obvious or make you think 'Why are they telling me not to do that, no-one would do that?' are done because someone has been stupid enough to try it. And why do we now have a backside-covering culture? It's because when someone has done something stupid, the first thing they do is look for someone else to blame!

LEGAL TENDER
20th Jul 2012, 15:29
Obviously never been to Nice then Perfectly serviceable ILS to 04L, only used when people forced to Go Around off the Riveria, or whatever they call it now

a lot more enjoyable to sit on the beach and watch them coming in for 22 right in front of the city :)

Uplinker
21st Jul 2012, 10:37
Thank you for the (sensible) replies from ATC. My query was genuine but seems to have been mis-interpreted as me having a go at ATC - I wasn't.

I was merely asking a question and trying to see if things could be streamlined in busy airspace. It seems to me more important to tell us if the approach aid has been downgraded to an NPA or SRA etc. than to tell us every time that the normal approach to the airfield is available? I have been flying commercial jets in Europe and elsewhere for 12 years, and about 95% of all 'my' destinations have ILS's, and about 85% of the time, that IS the approach aid in use and the one I expect. QED.

Most replies on this thread seem to misunderstand my point. DB6 gets it. When we are in the cruise, we look through the plates of our destination airport. If the Metars or TAFs are obviously favouring a particular runway, and that runway has an ILS, then that is the approach we will expect - assuming it is not mentioned in the NOTAMs as being U/S, or LOC only. We therefore only need to be told IF the ILS is U/S at short notice and if a LOC or VOR or NDB or visual approach is in use in its place? As regards how to get to the ILS; the Approach/Radar/Tower controller will tell us.

My point is that surely 'expect an ILS approach' does not need to be on the ATIS of an ILS equipped airfield?

Seven stroker troll - What is your problem pal? Are you one of those who belch or play music on 121.5 and think it's clever?

U

le Pingouin
22nd Jul 2012, 10:14
My point is that surely 'expect an ILS approach' does not need to be on the ATIS of an ILS equipped airfield?
It's saying you'll likely require an instrument approach due to weather and the ILS is the default. Company or other requirements (e.g. a standard arrival) might specify flying the ILS but they're just procedural and not weather.

noknead
24th Jul 2012, 11:45
Hi Uplinker,

Just cause there's an ILS doesn't always mean that will always be the approach.

In Melbourne Australia the ATIS will sometimes quote "Expect ILS" or "Expect instrument approach" (eg VOR, Localiser, NDB, DME, RNAV, GPS etc) or possibly won't have any approach quoted if visual approaches are in use. Again it will depend on the runway and conditions of course.

Another point to consider is that the ILS will be used to start off the approach to get below the cloud or whatever conditions to then conduct a visual approach to final. In this case "Expect ILS" will probably be on the ATIS. The reason for this is the acceptance rate can be increased for visual approaches by using the ILS to start off, but if in IMC and full ILS approaches are needed the arrival rate will blow out and cause more delays.

Is that close to what you were after?

Uplinker
31st Jul 2012, 10:53
Hi - sorry - have been away, but thanks for the replies. I think we are going round in circles a bit.

My reason for posting this was to explore whether the amount of uneccessary chat could be reduced on frequencies that can be very busy. This was a small example to 'test the water' as it were and the receptivness of ATC.

U

Mister Geezer
31st Jul 2012, 22:52
I personally think it's a good item of information to include, even if it may add to the length of the broadcast.

I had a trip recently where there was nothing in the NOTAMS to suggest that the ILS was not going to be operating and there was no heads up on the ATIS either. So we briefed for the ILS and on first contact with approach (somewhere in Middle East - can't remember where) the controller said 'maintain high speed for a straight in RNAV approach'.

Had that nugget of information been included in the ATIS, it would have avoided re programming the FMC plus a rebrief, which was all done below 10,000ft!

Uplinker
3rd Aug 2012, 10:12
Mister Geezer - this is EXACTLY MY POINT. :D

On that day, you needed to know that the usual approach that you expected was NOT available. The lack of the ILS was not NOTAMED either. So on the ATIS, a message saying "expect an RNAV approach" would have been entirely appropriate. It would have given you the heads up you required and you would have briefed accordingly.

What I'm trying to get across is that on the 90% of occasions when an airfield with an ILS is using it's ILS; we don't need to be told every time on the ATIS to expect an ILS. We ONLY need to be told if it's NOT using it.

I think you guys are winding me up by pretending you don't understand :rolleyes: :ugh:

U

marcoalza
14th Aug 2012, 08:17
Why do so many people insist on being so god damn rude on this forum.:=

There really is no need when someone is simply asking a question to satisfy curiosity.

Trim Stab
15th Aug 2012, 22:05
The information "expect an ILS approach" means that there is no point in requesting a visual approach - because it won't be granted.

As a Bizjet pilot our standard approach is a visual approach so the information is useful to us.

reportyourlevel
17th Aug 2012, 11:56
The information "expect an ILS approach" means that there is no point in requesting a visual approach - because it won't be granted.

As a Bizjet pilot our standard approach is a visual approach so the information is useful to us.

Say again? Certainly not the case where I work.

chevvron
17th Aug 2012, 13:08
Uplinker; you seem to be unaware that all RTF is recorded and the recordings are kept in case of an incident; it therefore behoves ATC to 'record' exactly what is said in order for any inquiry to proceed, hence the 'need' to pass this information to all flights.

Trim Stab
18th Aug 2012, 20:47
Say again? Certainly not the case where I work.

reportyourlevel
18th Aug 2012, 21:04
You miss my point. I am an ATCO. My ATIS says "Runway 26, ILS/DME approach". On first contact I tell the pilot "vectoring for an ILS/DME approach, runway 26". Frequently, the pilot will report the aerodrome in sight and request a visual approach, which I will then approve (subject to traffic). This goes for every controller at my unit, and I expect at a lot of others too.

Glamdring
19th Aug 2012, 10:47
I am an ATCO. My ATIS says "Runway 26, ILS/DME approach". On first contact I tell the pilot "vectoring for an ILS/DME approach, runway 26". Frequently, the pilot will report the aerodrome in sight and request a visual approach, which I will then approve (subject to traffic). This goes for every controller at my unit, and I expect at a lot of others too.

Same at my unit :ok:

(Except for the "runway 26" bit :E )

Uplinker
19th Aug 2012, 14:17
Hi Chevvron,

I don't see where on this thread you can draw the conclusion that : "I seem to be unaware that RTF is recorded". Of course I know this, but that has no relevance to what I'm on about here.

I am trying to enquire if this phrase could be omitted from the ATIS if it is the normal approach aid used by the airfield for 95% of the time. OR: instead of the long winded "Runway 35. Expect an ILS approach", could it not be: "ILS runway 35"? This would allow the ATIS to rotate more quickly which is useful if one is trying to quickly get an ATIS update, and don't want to be away from the flight and radios for too long.

The point made about it meaning that visuals will not be allowed might have some merit, but the busy commercial airfields I fly from have continuous sequences of aircraft flying ILS's, and requests for visuals are rare.

With more and more traffic in the skies, and busier and busier ATC sectors; wouldn't it be beneficial to make RTF stuff simpler and easier and reduce the number of words used, rather than make it more wordy and more complex?

I would like to emphasise that I am asking this question to try to make things easier for everyone, and am not just criticising.

U

FWA NATCA
22nd Aug 2012, 15:31
Unless visibility was Unrestricted, we always advertised the ILS so that pilots would have the appropriate approach plate out and ready, so if you get the airport visually and if traffic permitted we would sequence you for the visual approach.

At very busy airports the arrival sequence is usually so stretched out that the ILS ensures that everyone is on the same page as to descents and speeds. It wasn't uncommon for my finals to be stretched out 20 miles from the airport when it was busy.

There is nothing that prevents you from requesting a visual or other type of approach, just do it on initial contract with the approach controller.

Uplinker
24th Aug 2012, 21:08
I find it hard to believe that pilots approaching a busy commercial airfield in the UK or Europe that is fitted with ILS's will NOT have an ILS plate out. I do not believe they would have an NDB or a VOR plate out instead, or that the news on the ATIS: "expect an ILS approach" will come as a surprise to them.

U

Spitoon
24th Aug 2012, 22:05
Uplinker, I doubt that you will get the answer you are hoping for. There are many things that are done with the intention of avoiding misunderstandings; this is one of them. I'm afraid that it is not necessarily the case that what you (and, indeed, any one of us) may think is obvious is also obvious to everyone else - and there is a wealth of accident and incident reports, amongst other things, that illustrate the problems that can arise when assumptions are made. That's why in our business we do readbacks and cross checks.

If I were to accept accept your proposal, why should we stop at the type of approach? If there's a westerly wind and a westerly runway, obviously that's the runway that will be in use so there's no need to put that on the ATIS either. In fact, if I think it's a nice day maybe I shouldn't waste time putting the wx on the ATIS.

When I was young and foolish I'm sure I thought similar thoughts on occasions. After almost 35 years working professionally in aviation I now believe that assuming that anyone things the same way as anyone else is not something we can afford to do.

Yes, for you, some things are superfluous because they are obvious; for me too, there are other things that are superfluous. But I'll happily put up with having to tx a bit of information that I think is unnecessary if it means that it helps to avoid someone else flying around in the same airspace making an incorrect assumption.

Of course you may counter that any pilot or controller who is unsure about something will ask for confirmation - just as you would......wouldn't they?

Vld1977
25th Aug 2012, 01:27
Hi, Uplinker. I am not a pilot or ATCO, so my opinion is just that, an opinion, and it is entirely possible that I am talking nonsense.

However, I work in aviation, and also know some people who work in other sectors where accuracy of information is vital. In my opinion, the design of procedures for operations with a critical need of accuracy (be it landing an aircraft or performing neurosurgery) is more inclined to reiteration of known rules than to omission of them due to assumption. In other words, it is considered safer to communicate the procedures even if they are standard than having the rule of assuming standard procedures if nothing is communicated.

When I studied linguistics (some time ago :confused:), I remember doing theory of communication and discourse analysis, and remember that having the assumption of a standard content to be inferred from an omission of an alternative content is more likely to cause inaccuracy than having the standard content included in the act of communication. Leaving you to assume that if not told otherwise you must expect an ILS approach has a bigger probability of inaccuracy or error than telling you the obvious. If the rule was to assume that if not told otherwise you should expect an ILS approach, there are two kinds of possible communication inaccuracy: one would be to tell you the wrong information (ie expect ILS approach when it is not available) and the other kind of possible error would be not to communicate at all the desired information (ie there is no ILS available and not telling you anything, which would not happen if lack of information was NOT an option), as that would make you assume by default that the standard rule is being followed. The procedure of assuming something if not told otherwise means that in certain circumstances, the lack of information IS the message, so lack of information is an approved operational method. By not having lack of information as an operational option, we eliminate one of the possible two errors.

A "real world" example :E: You and I are college students and share a room in a flat. As we are both so good looking, every other night we have company and wish to have the room for ourselves for a while. We design a code: if there is a red sock hanging from the doorknob, that means we have company and the other one is not supposed to enter the room, if there is a green sock hanging from the doorknob, that means you can come in, as nothing is happening. Now, if the rule is that "if you don't see a red sock you can enter", I can make two kinds of mistake: placing the wrong colour sock or, out of excitement, forgetting to place a sock at all. In this case, as you don't see a red sock, you assume I am all alone and enter the room, disturbing my privacy :*. If the rule is "there ALWAYS has to be a sock in the door, at all times, and the colour will tell us if we can enter or not", that reduces my possible mistakes to 1: placing the wrong colour, because if I forget to put the sock, that doesn't give you specific information. You would call me on my phone and ask before entering, as we agreed that lack of info doesn't mean anything. If there are two or more options, safety is improved by not making omission one of the options, especially in accuracy-critical operations like flying an aircraft.

So basically, I believe that whoever designs operational safety policies, picks the option more likely to reduce the amount of actions leading to error. And that would be giving information EVEN if it is standard rule.

Sometimes it borders on the ridiculous, but it is universally agreed that whatever eliminates ambiguity in communication makes communication more reliable. lack of information creates ambiguity, so if there is more than one option (ILS/no ILS), supplying that info is safer than assuming one from the omission of the other, and I guess that's why it's done.

But then again, it is only my opinion, and probably just a load of nonsense, but hey, that's why I think it happens. Have a good night. :)

P.S. I know I could have chosen another "real life" situation, but hey, I have a right to dream!! :E

BARKINGMAD
29th Aug 2012, 20:39
Hi Uplinker, I TOTALLY support and endorse your query.
There is now a plethora of info bytes which we drivers have to sift through and filter to get to what is really needed.
There appear to be no visual approaches available at Gatport Airwick, unless it's 0400 local and the main rwy is closed for lens polishing or rabbit shooting or whatever.
Then we're doing what we were never trained for-straight in approaches, at night, post 5-8 hours back from somewhere hot 'n smelly and thanks to the modern kit and a bit of anticipation, we can con our Boings or 'Buses into doing the difficult bit.
The "expect an ILS approach" sentence is as superfluous as telling us they'd like us to vacate at "FR" in order to improve the runway's productivity thereby keeping the beancounters happy, but for some odd reason that's not included.
25 years of using that airport and I don't recall any serious reported incidents or accidents due to aircrew getting caught with their craft NOT set up for the ILS.
It's just representative of the creeping malaise in this industry where any deskjockey with a word processor can inflict cheaply and rapidly some half-brained procedure on the great unwashed without a clue as to the eventual effect on aircraft ops. Witness CDG with what may be the world record in the number of different approaches and departures, off effectively 2 east-west facing runways???!!!
As long as the IATAs or ICAOs of this world permit that sort of megalomania to persist, then we'll have to carry on shouting NO!!! at the tops of our voices.
Come on ATC senior management, take this one on the chin, admit you've got it wrong and try to employ fact, logic and reasoning when it comes to ATIS content and delivery???

Uplinker
1st Sep 2012, 12:38
Some interesting points.

Spitoon:
Yeees, but you are being slightly mischievous to make your point. We ALWAYS need the latest weather, because the wind might have increased above our crosswind limit - we cannot assume it hasn't. We ALWAYS need the runway in use - we cannot assume it will be the one suggested by the wind - what if the wind is 90 degs off, or light and variable, or calm? Or what if it will be a circling approach to the opposite runway? We ALWAYS need the cloudbase and visibility in case it has gone below our minima - we can't assume it hasn't.

VLD1977:
Interesting post. The problem is, by endlessly repeating things which are valid 90% of the time reduces airtime for other information which cannot be assumed and needs to be known. Your brain surgeon would not need to be reminded to scrub up before every operation would they? I take your point about a lack of confirmation not being confirmation, but as I say, I am asking about the ATIS, not the controllers' responses.

Another example from ATIS, (although I don't think I've heard it in the UK): 'dew point minus zero'. Why say 'minus'??? To me that seems like just wasting airtime. 'Minus 1', yes, but 'minus zero'??? You might respond by saying 'oh come on it doesn't take long to say 'minus', what's the problem?' But when you add up all the little things like this, it starts to get a little cumbersome.

Also RTFQ; Remember, I'm not talking about the controllers confirming that it will be an ILS approach when we speak to them, I'm talking about that information not needing be on the ATIS, UNLESS the approach is uncommon, for example an NDB, or if the Ops vehicle has just driven into the G/S aerial and so the approach is now LOC only. That sort of information we DO need on ATIS.

BarkingMad.
Thanks for your support. I thought I was going mad there myself for a while !

U

le Pingouin
1st Sep 2012, 21:15
Why do you always need to know the wind? We'll put it on the ATIS if it exceeds a certain amount. Light and variable? We'll be using the default runway so expect that. Why aren't you complaining about CAVOK as well? That's of no use to you either. We'll let you know when it's getting low.

It's a generic procedure to cater for all aerodromes and almost certainly because someone screwed the pooch big time in the past.

Why do you have checklists for tasks you perform every time you fly? Surely that's wasting time. Why do we demand readbacks that take up a lot more valuable air time than the approach expectation on the ATIS?

fujii
1st Sep 2012, 22:28
Uplinker, we in ATC are not being "mischevious" because as well as including the ILS we also have to spell correctly when typing the ATIS.

Uplinker
2nd Sep 2012, 01:36
Thank you fujji, well spotted. To paraphrase Eric Morecambe: I wrote down all the right letters, but not necessarily in the right order !

Corrected now.

U

Gulfstreamaviator
2nd Sep 2012, 02:42
Is this the same as prefered runway.

Where on all of the plates is there a reference to default Runway..??????

Glf

blue_ashy
3rd Sep 2012, 15:09
I think the keyword here is "expect" rather than the actual approach method, it's all about preparation and i think knowing beforehand the approach you can expect is always good to know information surely? It's more so useful for traffic that may not be familiar with the area.

Things can change quickly and instantly and we need to be prepared for anything so knowing an ILS approach to runway X can be expected means the flight deck can prepare for it.

The purpose of ATIS is to provide information and a status report of the conditions being experienced by the airfield so knowing as much information as possible allows the best preparation.

As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Uplinker
5th Sep 2012, 16:46
Please don`t be offended folks, but RTFQ !

And I am not saying anything is broken, just asking if perhaps it could be polished or streamlined a bit?

For example could it say just "ILS23" instead of "Runway in use 23. Expect an ILS approach"?

U

chevvron
5th Sep 2012, 19:46
What if between you listening to the ATIS, briefing for the ILS and contacting the approach controller, there is a runway change and the reciprocal doesn't have ILS?

Uplinker
5th Sep 2012, 21:21
Chevvron, once again, your reply mystifies me. The sort of very short notice change you mention will be communicated by Approach or Radar on first contact. What is your point and what does it have to do with my question about ATIS?

As I say; RTFQ!

U