PDA

View Full Version : Myasthenia Gravis

Honey Monster
18th Jul 2012, 16:25
For those of you who don't know me, I used to be an instructor at the College of ATC in Bournemouth. I was medically retired in 2004 with cancer which i seem to have beaten.

In February, I developed Myasthenia Gravis which is an auto immune disease where (to put it simply) the body makes antibodies against the interface between nerves and muscles.

Statistically the odds of getting MG are 1:10,000. Nobody knows what causes the disease.

A couple of weeks ago, I discovered that 2 other former instructors had also developed the disease. The odds of that happening are extremely low.

Today I saw my consultant, He was curious to find out if any other ATCOs in the UK or worldwide had developed the disease and asked me if I could ask you all for information.

Thanks

Reg Ford

LoserGill
18th Jul 2012, 18:17
Something environmental? Did you all teach at the same location for an extended period perhaps or live near eachother under power lines?

Loki
18th Jul 2012, 21:10
Hmmmm, nasty. Glad you've beaten the big C though.

Just checked the symptoms on Wiki.....only have one, and suspect it's something else.

Best of luck.

Honey Monster
18th Jul 2012, 21:50
Something environmental? Did you all teach at the same location for an extended period perhaps or live near eachother under power lines?

Yes, we all instructed on the same simulators. Two of us shared the same office and the 3rd was in an office next door but one.

I did ask the consultant if it could electro magnetic radiation from the consoles, or even wearing headsets for years. He said that it is not a brain problem but a problem with the immune system. Sonething must kick it off but nobody knows what.

tenright
26th Jul 2012, 14:10
Sorry to hear that. I hope it takes one of the milder forms as the intensity can be very varied. My dad was a controller for many years, retired at about 63 and got MG at about 84. No previous reports of this at the unit he worked. Best wishes.

Bern Oulli
27th Jul 2012, 08:24
Bloody hell Reg. Getting kicked once by the Big C is bad enough, and glad to hear you are over that, but to be then kicked in the neuromuscular junction is adding insult to injury. Also (for those who don't know) I also was an instructor for many years in an office not far away from you and I am slightly staggered to hear of the relatively high incidence of this disease at CATC (as was).

Best wishes to you and keep us posted from time to time.Something for us ex-simulator guys to keep an eye out for.

Bern Oulli, a.k.a. Pedro