PDA

View Full Version : Why the "varying" wind on the ATIS?

Dorkmeister
3rd Apr 2002, 17:20
What is the point in reporting the wind as eg. "360 degrees at 6 knots, varying between 330 and 020.... " instead of "360 at 6"?

We all know that the wind is varying a bit, it is measured outside isn't it?

This useless information means it takes longer time to get the info we really need.

The "varying" wind may be useful when there is more than 20 knots or so of cross-wind component.

easondown
3rd Apr 2002, 17:32
Dorkmeister,

It only takes seconds for that type of transmission on the atis - stop moaning about nothing.....

oxford blue
3rd Apr 2002, 18:52
The word "varying" has a specific meaning in a METAR, which is effectively what an ATIS is. It means that the wind direction is changing 60 degrees or more. This is enough to make a very significant difference to a cross-wind, or even to turn a headwind into a tailwind - which could have serious implications on your landing distance performance.

The inclusion of just one 3-syllable word to alert you to a 60 degree change of wind is not very time-consuming in relation to the importance of the information. The people who devise METAR and TAF formats give it quite a lot of thought, you know.

You could reciprocate this time and thought by learning your METAR decodes and, as a pilot, keeping your side of the bargain!

HOMER SIMPSONS LOVECHILD
3rd Apr 2002, 19:26
Sounds like some of you have never had to sit through fifteen stations on the Volmet cause you just missed the one you want!
Believe me on a short sector with a very slow robot droning on about"wind..........two ....three .....zero.... at.....five knots..................variable....... between .... two.....zero....(got the picture?)
Meanwhile your mate conducts single pilot operation!

CaptainSquelch
3rd Apr 2002, 20:31
Homer,

Ask your boss for ACARS.
Saves you a lot of frustration.

Lazy Sq

Dorkmeister
3rd Apr 2002, 21:55
oxford blue

I realize the term "varying" has a specific meaning. (And thanks for not talking down to me...)

If the "varying" of a six knots wind has "serious implications" on my runway performance, I am probably operating at a runway where I should not have been in the first place, don't you think?

Part of my point is that you should always expect the wind to vary a bit, both from what it was seconds ago, and specially from what it was when the last ATIS was recorded.

Stickies
4th Apr 2002, 15:53
I remember listening to Newcastles report on Volmet some years ago and the wind was being reported as 150/01,variable between....!!!! THAT was a waste of time.

GearUp CheerUp
4th Apr 2002, 21:23
"If the "varying" of a six knots wind has "serious implications" on my runway performance, I am probably operating at a runway where I should not have been in the first place, don't you think? "

If the wind is varying 220 - 330 on RW26 then its not such a big deal but if its varying 330 - 040 on the same runway then you have to assume a tailwind as if the wind were to vary to 040 direction as you were landing.

The aircraft which I fly can accept a maximum of 9 kts of tailwind on one of the runways at Jersey at MLW so if the mean wind is 360/10 its nice to know if its varying into a tailwind.

spudskier
5th Apr 2002, 00:23
speaking of which, we had some pretty nutz winds here in Columbus... winds 170 variable 080 10G15 and that's not especially great for the C-152s/172s we fly at the flight school!

Knold
5th Apr 2002, 10:28
You don't say spudskier ? A change of 90 DEG?!?! Can't be real?

Try flying 152's at V-25G40