PDA

View Full Version : Extra 300 Aerobatics Training in Florida

infinity-it
16th Jul 2012, 06:22
I will be in Florida for two weeks and would like to combine my trip with some Aerobatics Training. Does anybody know a flight school in Florida where I can get training on a Extra 300L?

Thanks for your help

dobbin1
16th Jul 2012, 16:39
Don't know of an Extra there, but I did some aeros (and my FAA tailwheel sign off) in a Super Decathlon based at Orlando Executive.

Not sure if this is the same outfit, but they use a Decathlon:-
http://flyairorlando.com/aerobatics-tailwheel-and-more/

scrambled
16th Jul 2012, 17:11
Aerobatic Flight Schools (http://www.iacusn.org/schools/#state_FL_)

Hope this helps.

martinprice
16th Jul 2012, 21:14
Southeast Aero, the US Extra dealer, is in St. Augustine, FL. I don't believe they do training themselves but I would imagine they (Doug Vayda) could point you in the right direction.

Agaricus bisporus
16th Jul 2012, 23:30
Unless you're already at a fairly advanced level of aerobatics isn't an Extra overkill?

Runaway Gun
17th Jul 2012, 00:50
Doug may refer you to St Augustine based Carl Pascarell.

Do fly the Extra. It's cheaper to operate in the USA and is pretty much unbreakable in the air (landings may be delicate) and it is about the best flying you will ever do without strapping on an ejection seat.

waldopepper42
17th Jul 2012, 14:26
Do NOT fly the Extra! It will spoil you and nothing else you ever get into will ever again give you the same thrills! :-D I speak from experience......

Contacttower
17th Jul 2012, 15:07
In 2008 I was doing my FAA IR at St Augustine so I went over the other side of the airfield one day to fly the Extra 300 with South East Aero, not sure if he is still there but at the time there was a guy called Dave Kicklighter who was an FAA CFI and gave me an aeros lesson in the Extra. I just did the one flight but I could have done a lot more. As an earlier post said if you are near St Augustine give South East Aero (http://www.southeastaero.com/default.htm) a call and they will either give you some training or point you in the right direction...

As far as the aircraft is concerned, DO fly the Extra, I had some aeros experience on usual types like Firefly, Bulldog, Grob 115E etc, obviously the Extra is a huge step up from those but it is still any easy plane to fly that will do aeros at whatever pace you want to do them...unlimted stuff or just lazy loops and barrel rolls...it doesn't matter...

After having flown it I still felt able to enjoy the smaller less powerful types...one just has to remember to manage speed/energy a bit more because obviously the Extra has a very high power to weight ratio compared to most types.

I mean perhaps if you have never done aeros before I'd suggest doing some in a less powerful aircraft first just so that the point about energy management is properly learnt but if you want to fly an Extra go fly one I'd say...

stiknruda
17th Jul 2012, 19:06
Just go to Fernandina on Amelia Island and fly with Keoki Gray. He will instruct you in a Pitts S2A.

1. The Pitts is harder to fly well than the Extra.
2. I've had aeros instruction with RAF CFI's. I've had civvy training in the UK, France, Texas and RSA. Flying with KG was the BEST training I have ever done because he made it all make sense. It was so good I even went back.

Google Amelia Island Aerobatics.

I think this thread can be closed now ;)

Stik

Runaway Gun
17th Jul 2012, 22:16
If you like to experience something with a bit more room in the cockpit, an unhindered view out the front, and not be deafened by the noise of flying wires whilstling, and fabric waffling, and the joy of a symmetrical aerofoil, then fly the Extra.

Or you could end up all grumpy like S'nR and have no patience for his mono-winged compatriots ;)

martinprice
18th Jul 2012, 15:40
There's no such thing as a grumpy Pitts pilot... :E

As noted, if you have specific goals there may be better aircraft to train in than the Extra but, without knowing those goals, it's impossible to comment. If you just want to fly aerobatics I'm pretty sure you'll have a good time.

It flies
20th Jul 2012, 11:32
Stiknruda, at what time of year did you train there? I'm thinking about combining a holiday with some S-2A training in the USA in september. Some brief Googling showed september to be at the peak of the hurricane season however. Any idea if it would be feasible to do about 10 hours of aerobatics in one week in september?

Flying with Bud Davisson in Arizona probably has a better chance of good flying weather. Although he seems to concentrate on Pitts conversions. Anybody have experience of aerobatic training with Bud and would like to comment?

martinprice
20th Jul 2012, 16:25
I'm pretty sure Budd does acro too even if it's not his primary focus.

In September come to sunny California. The weather is pretty much guaranteed to be awesome (nicest part of the year in the SF bay area) and, off the top of my head, I can think of 3 S-2Cs, 3 S-2Bs and an S-2A available for training from SF to LA. I've probably missed some, too. PM me if you want more details/suggestions.

stiknruda
20th Jul 2012, 20:25
Heh, It Flies! -

Confession time: I flew with BD in 99. Had a great time - it really was super training. BD was unwilling to teach me aeros but his "pattern diagram" I still use 13 years later. He's an interesting character and we got on well. He doesn't drink and his sense of humour is not mine (or vicky-vercky) - his wife is super, adorable and great fun to be with. These days one can stay at the family home which is rather nice. Budd's mum passed away whilst I was there and the chap was obviously v v v distracted - we still keep in touch...

There are lots of Pitts aeros instructors in the US.

I chose Keoki because Patty Wagstaff personally recommended him and Budd introduced me to Patty. Budd also introduced me to a few other "aerobatic household" names.

You'll learn a lot from both Budd and Keoki - but in my case v different things. I'd highly recommend them.

Stik

Aerobatic Display Team | Wildcat Aerobatics (http://www.wildcataerobatics.com)

infinity-it
21st Jul 2012, 13:42
Thank you very much for all the tips. I already have some 50 hours on the Extra 300. Therefore I am looking for an advanced training on the E300 and not on a Pitts. I tried to contact Southeast Aero by email, but so far nobody replied. Does anybody have a contact to another company who offers training on the E300 in Florida?

Thanks for your help