PDA

View Full Version : British Ignore Chapter 2 Phaseout

747FOCAL
3rd Apr 2002, 13:53
British airports ignore EU ban on noisy jets
Times of London 04/03/02
author: Ben Webster
(Copyright Times Newspapers Ltd, 2001)

BRITAIN?S main airports are planning to ignore a European directive designed to protect those living under flight paths by removing the noisiest jets.

The disturbance suffered by communities around airports is now expected to worsen after a decade of improvement.

The directive, approved last week by the European Union member states including Britain, gives airports the power to ban certain 20 to 30-year-old jets which are far noisier than modern aircraft.

These aircraft escaped a European Union ban last year after furious protests from US airlines, which would have seen 600 of their aircraft prohibited from landing in Europe. The EU decided instead to implement the ban on an airport by airport basis, giving member states or their airports the right to impose the restrictions, but not making them compulsory.

The noise difference between a 1970s Boeing 737-200 and a modern 737-800 passing overhead has been likened to hearing a lawnmower in the next garden compared with at the end of the street.

Under the noise limits proposed in the directive, airlines would be forced to use quieter jets for more than 1,000 flights a week at airports across Britain. Ryanair would be affected most by the ban as it has 21 737-200s based at Stansted.

Other European airports, including Salzburg in Austria and Schipol in The Netherlands, have already banned the 737-200 and other similarly noisy aircraft such as the 747-200 and the DC10.

BAA, which runs Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted and four regional airports, said that it had no plans to implement the directive. A spokesman said that BAA would wait until the aircraft were ?naturally phased out? by the airlines. This could take a decade.

?We would look to the Government to lead on the interpretation of this EU legislation in the UK as they regulate aviation noise levels in Britain,? a BAA spokesman said.

The Department for Transport, Local Government and the Regions said: ?We envisage that airport operators will implement the directive.?

The Government has said that it may take action to combat noise at Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted, but there are unlikely to be any proposals until next year.

The Aviation Environment Federation, a coalition of environmental groups, said that the refusal by both BAA and the Government to take responsibility indicated the weakness of the directive.

?It is not binding on either Governments or airports so they are free to ignore it. What is needed is a Europe-wide agreement on phasing out noisy jets,? Tim Johnson, the federation?s director, said.

He said that noise disturbance would steadily increase as air travel increased again after the blip after September 11. The number of flights is expected to double by 2015 but aircraft manufacturers admit that they are already operating near the limits of what technology can do to reduce noise.

Clearskies, a group seeking to limit the environmental impact of aviation, said that BAA was betraying a pledge to help communities plagued by aircraft noise. ?BAA has tried to sell itself as environmentally friendly, but its hypocrisy has now been exposed because it refuses to use the powers granted by the European Union,? John Stewart, the Clearskies chairman, said.

The new directive will apply to a generation of jets, known as ?chapter three? aircraft, which just escaped the restriction on ?chapter two? jets built in the 1960s and early 1970s.

Several airlines, including Ryanair and some charter companies, have converted older aircraft to beat the chapter two ban by fitting ?hush kits? to muffle the noise from engines.

A ban on chapter two jets came into force on Monday. Most airlines, including British Airways, replaced those aircraft affected at least a year ago. The industry has refused to accept any date for phasing out chapter three aircraft. It has also persuaded the International Civil Aviation Organisation to impose only a modest target for the noise levels of future aircraft.

Ryanair hopes to phase out 737-200s by the end of 2005.
:D

Buster the Bear
3rd Apr 2002, 15:17
Bring back the BAC 1-11 NOW!

Brenoch
3rd Apr 2002, 15:32
Could there be a link between OŽLeary and BAA not imposing the ban at Stanstead???

:rolleyes:

Land After
3rd Apr 2002, 16:08
Aren't MOL's 737-200s stage 3 compliant & legal??

Brenoch
3rd Apr 2002, 16:24
Under the noise limits proposed in the directive, airlines would be forced to use quieter jets for more than 1,000 flights a week at airports across Britain. Ryanair would be affected most by the ban as it has 21 737-200s based at Stansted.

Apparently not according to the Times who we all know never prints false information..

Buster the Bear
3rd Apr 2002, 18:48
As I understand it, when Ryanair bought a load of ex Lufty 200's, they came with noise kits.

Ryanair removed the kits and put them into store in order to save the fuel penalty inccured by using them.

747FOCAL
3rd Apr 2002, 19:19
Buster,

A word of advice....... I would keep a tight lid on that fact. If they did remove the kits they broke the law. Once an airplane has been upgraded to Stage 3/Chapter 3 it is illegal in the USA and Europe to remove or downgrade them back to Stage 2/chapter 2 configuration. An A&P that knowingly removes any hushkit component in the USA that he knows is going to stay off the airplane can actually go to jail for it.

Regardless the fines are huge for doing it and you said they did it to 20 airplanes.???....:D .......Now where is Guy Reedmans phone number again.....

747FOCAL
3rd Apr 2002, 19:25
BIK_116.80,

Your preachin to the choir when it comes to noise regs......

Any EU country can refuse to recognize the Stage 3 certification for any aircraft and therefore view them as Chapter 2 and are phased out. A lot of operators are finding this out when it comes to France.

I don't have time to go deeply into it right now, but any aircraft, even a new one, can be rejected by any country as they see fit. They suckered us into buying into this to apease the hushkit ban and all it really does is just reword it a bit.

Whalerider
3rd Apr 2002, 20:38
I THINK I AM CORRECT IN SAYING ONLY ABOUT 6 OR SO OF RYANAIR'S -200s ARE HUSH KITTED. INTERESTINGLY, TODAY BELAVIA OPERATED A TU-154M INTO LGW INSTEAD OF THE NORMAL TU-134. I HAVE HEARD THAT THE TU-154B DOES NOT MEET THE NOISE CRITERIA, BUT THE 154M DOES - ANYONE CONFIRM ?

Bright-Ling
3rd Apr 2002, 20:47
MMmmmmmm

I bet anyone a fiver we will see a nice shiny blue Minardi titled 1-11 from European flying soon!!!

Here's hoping!!;)

BEagle
4th Apr 2002, 04:27
But we still operate the bellowing, thundering, 4-Conwayed VC10 of HMFC out of places like STN - and it hasn't had any noise reduction measures fitted since the 1960s.....

However, every time some Green Party tree-hugger in Tchermany whinges about said noise, one can't really quip "Shouldn't have lost then"! Quite how we continue to operate such deafening old things in the 21st century at civil airports I find difficult to understand....

DW11
4th Apr 2002, 07:33
All the Ryanair -200s have Nordam kits. The kits that were removed were the external heavy kits on the ex LH aircraft, which were then replaced by the lighter internal kits to match the rest of the fleet.

luddite
5th Apr 2002, 12:25
Oh Bright Ling how cynical you are! Accurate but cynical. My money's on the 1-11 seeing out the 737-200.

Cyclic Hotline
6th Apr 2002, 00:14
Where does Concorde fit into all this?

The last time I saw one fly it was an inspiring (and impressively noisy ;)) event.

Just wondered?

Boss Raptor
6th Apr 2002, 06:01
TU154M can be Stage 3 if fitted and/or upgraded with what effectively is a hushkit, acoustic mixers, inlet mods. etc.

The 154B with different engines than the M version can never be Stage 3.

:cool:

B737-200, the Nordam original and subsequent 'new' Stage 3 kit is certified under JAR across all member countries. The Avaero Stage 3 kit was only ever certified in Europe by French DGAC and never progressed to full JAR certification as far as I am aware...

The Stage 2 phase out is driven by an EU directive however each individual state has been able to manoever within the framework of the directive...and in its' original form Hushkitted Stage 3 aircraft were also going to be banned unless certain 'grandfather' circumstances were fulfilled by the candidate aircraft...

Under pressure from operators and manufacturers I believe the EU has now altered the implementation to allow Hushkitted Stage 3 aircraft to continue operating unrestricted until 2007...

:p

Young Paul
9th Apr 2002, 20:30
Anyway, I thought Ryanair had -800's at STN, not -200's.

aerire
10th Apr 2002, 21:33
I believe European flew their last BAC111 at the end of March as the type became a victim of the Stage 2 ban. A great shame there were not enough aircraft around to make it economical to fully develop Stage 3 kits for them.
European like Ryanair have a number of B737-200's hushkitted to Stage 3.

The Tu154M is stage 3 compliant OK.

The banning of the IL76 from European airports will be a big blow to freight exporters and even relief organisations who will have to pay a lot more for Stage 3 freighters. The Il76 was also used by UK and other European airlines to transport spare engines for their jets taht went tech abroad. It is a easy aircraft to load with no real western equivalent

Whalerider
10th Apr 2002, 21:57
Ryanair have both -200s and -800s at STN.