PDA

View Full Version : Tornado penknife keyring (Help)

spooky3
12th Jul 2012, 11:12
Hi All, back in the 80s i used to do a lot of civil eng contract work at Warton whilst there i was given a small metal Tornado penknife keyring witch i carried around with me for the next 20 odd years, i then passed it on to my son who had his bag stolen on a train returning home from uni in Preston, the only thing that really upset him despite losing a hard drive,laptop etc was losing the Tornado penknife keyring, so i would love to replace for him, i am prepared to pay good money if anyone has one they wish to sell. thank you Sean.

ps, as my son has just graduated from uni with a B Eng 1st it would be great if i could get him one.

kind regards Sean.

GR4yskull
12th Jul 2012, 22:39
I have one here on my desk - Flat, about an inch long. Very sharp knife and bottle opener/screwdriver on the other side.

You can have it - I took it off my keyring as I am a frequent flyer. PM me your address and I'll jiffy it.

Regards

peppermint_jam
13th Jul 2012, 07:04
Love the power of pprune sometimes. Good arrows GR4yskull

airpolice
13th Jul 2012, 07:51
Yeah, the power of pprune.... good for you GR4, nice to see folk helping each other.

:D

spooky3
13th Jul 2012, 07:52
Hi GR4skull
PM sent
Thank you so much for your kindness, my son will be over the
moon.

Kind regards Sean.

GR4yskull
13th Jul 2012, 13:07
It's in the post. That'll be 90p. (I jest :-)

Glad to help.

GR4yskull

spooky3
13th Jul 2012, 13:40
Hi GR4skull
Thank you very much, i cant wait to see my sons face when i give it to him.
if you would please let me know your charity of choice i would love to make a
donation as i believe kindness should be repaid.

thanks again for your kindness
Regards Sean.:)

El Grifo
13th Jul 2012, 14:54
Nice one GR4skull :D:D:D:D

Chugalug2
13th Jul 2012, 20:29
'ere, 'ere, 'ere, to all the above!
Every now and again a thread like this really lifts the spirits. Well done GR4, you are now PPRuNe Member of the Week, ... well you would be if PPRuNe had such an award, which it should, don't you think?

NutLoose
13th Jul 2012, 20:53
Yup :D:D:D

spooky3
14th Jul 2012, 16:45
Hi Andy
The penknife/keyring arrived in the post this morning, it is identical to the one
my son had stolen from him, when i gave it to him he was over the moon as he didn't think a replacement could been found, he sends you his gratitude and thanks.

thanks again for your help,
kind regards Sean

Geehovah
14th Jul 2012, 17:09
Nice to see a good news thread on Prune:ok:

Dominoe
14th Jul 2012, 17:51
Any chance of seeing a picture of the star of this thread? (ie the
keyring - not the donor!).

Fox3WheresMyBanana
14th Jul 2012, 18:37
Bravo GR4yskull :D:D:D:D:D

All we need now is the news that the original tealeaf has been apprehended - preferably after crashing his car when distracted by a low-flying Tornado.

GR4yskull
14th Jul 2012, 18:44
Glad it got there. Bit of history with it is that I got it around the time of the Royal Saudi Airforce buy of 48IDS Tornados (1993 ish) and used it for a while trimming the (hideous but the done thing at the time) spiral binding on Initial Provisioning submissions.

Should you wish to donate to a charity, the South Atlantic Medal Association would be my choice.

Best regards

GR4yskull

(back to lurking:-)

NutLoose
14th Jul 2012, 19:28
Or he sat on the knife with the blade out.

spooky3
14th Jul 2012, 19:40
Keyring
Any chance of seeing a picture of the star of this thread? (ie the
keyring - not the donor!). will do as soon as i can work out how to upload pics on to the site
(or when my son comes in and proves how computer illiterate i really am :\)

spooky3
14th Jul 2012, 19:43
Bravo GR4yskull

All we need now is the news that the original tealeaf has been apprehended - preferably after crashing his car when distracted by a low-flying Tornado.

Now that's my kind of justice:ok:

spooky3
15th Jul 2012, 09:13
In the FAQ it says: How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

But i cant see a button labelled 'Manage Attachments, any ideas??

airborne_artist
15th Jul 2012, 09:18
You need to upload the photo to Flickr or Photobucket and then link it in your post using the picture button (the one that looks like a sun above a mountain).

spooky3
15th Jul 2012, 09:48
Thanks Airborne artist.

heres the link

Pictures by egnsean - Photobucket (http://s1070.photobucket.com/albums/u500/egnsean/)

spooky3
15th Jul 2012, 10:02
Thanks for the history Andy, i will go to the South Atlantic Medal Associations
website and see how i can make a donation a very worthy cause it is to Imo:D

Thanks Kind Regards Sean.

STANDTO
15th Jul 2012, 13:25
There was some fantastic product support stuff that came out of Panavia. My parents were pals with a couple of MBB engineers who were always in and out of Warton. We have one of those keyrings somewhere. Dark blue Tornado tie, tie pins. And I had loads of promo material in the way of photos, calendars etc. I was too young to appreciate their future worth sadly. the MRCA/Tornado programme was a big part of my childhood on the Fylde Coast. Rarely a day went by without something flying over the house. Halcyon days

peppermint_jam
15th Jul 2012, 19:41
Spooky, if you copy and paste the IMG code (hover over each picture and the tags will appear, the bottom one is the IMG code, left click it once and it'll copy it) for each photo in your post mate, the photos will appear on the thread.

Walrus75
15th Jul 2012, 19:47
Nice little knife, I have one too (courtesy of my old man) and can confirm that the blade is bloody sharp! :ooh:

...And I had loads of promo material in the way of photos, calendars etc. I was too young to appreciate their future worth sadly...

...the MRCA/Tornado programme was a big part of my childhood on the Fylde Coast....
Me too. Dad joined the MRCA RADAR team in '71 and we lived only 3 miles from Warton (as the crow flies). The poster I remember the most was the one that explained the Engines system and also the Armament system - little was I to know that 25 years later my (alledged!) expertise in both would gain me promotion but (sadly) an early return from BFG... spooky how some things turn out!
I grew up with the sound of Tonka engines in my ears and I still hear & see them on a nearly daily basis even though I'm now 400 miles and 40 years away from those times when we used to actually get 'summer'. :) In fact it's been 40 years of almost continuous RB199 roar for me... only another 7 to go if you believe the rumours.

spooky3
16th Jul 2012, 10:05
Thanks Peppermint jam,

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u500/egnsean/DSCN1755.jpg

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u500/egnsean/knife003.jpg

davydine
1st Jul 2013, 07:30
But i was wondering if anyone might be able to help me...

My dad was a travel agent in Derby in the 70's and did some of the travel arrangements for Rolls Royce employees. As a thank you, he was given a penknife just like this, but branded with "locheed" and "L1011"

Unfortunately he had his pocket picked at Euston station the other day and guess what was stolen!

Fortunately nothing else was lost, but having had the knife for over 30 years he is really missing it...

Does anyone know where i might be able to get something similar I so I can replace it for him?

Fortunately i remembered seeing this thread last year....

I know it is a long shot, but thanks anyway...

David

NutLoose
1st Jul 2013, 11:02
You missed one on ebay by a couple of months see
Lockheed Tristar L 1011 Souvenir Pocket Knife | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lockheed-TriStar-L-1011-souvenir-pocket-knife-/140945414830?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item20d1005aae&nma=true&si=2G9Pn9IPIazkDGbdPGJ%252Fn0u%252FnN4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_76wt_1170)

failing that just with the lockheed logo

Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Pen Knife Lockheed Engraving | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Knife-Pen-Knife-Lockheed-Engraving-/151073811178?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item232cb36aea#ht_26wt_1170)

GalleyTeapot
2nd Jul 2013, 08:02
Are you allowed to wander round with a knife in your pocket? Although I can see the need to if travelling via Preston!

NRU74
2nd Jul 2013, 14:24
Are you allowed to wander round with a knife in your pocket?Yes, if it's a folding pocket knife, ie not a lock knife, with a blade of 3 inches or less.Anything that falls outside that definition and you need 'good reason or lawful authority' etc.Google 'Bladed Article' and look at,say, the CPS website

davydine
2nd Jul 2013, 17:15
Thanks for the link Nutloose, the first ebay one is exactly the same. I will have to keep my eyes open on there for a replacement or treat him to a simiar sized Victorinox.

He did travel through preston, but didnt get off the train!

NutLoose
2nd Jul 2013, 17:39
You could try contacting the seller, you never know the buyer may be someone who is a dealer and you may get a contact off the seller... Worth a punt

This one never sold

.Vintage Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Silver Alox Companion Lockheed | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Knife-Silver-Alox-Companion-Lockheed-/140963884464?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item20d21a2db0)

spooky3
2nd Jul 2013, 22:30
as the OP You never know and this is a fantastic forum, without its help i would never have got the result that i got, thanks once again to the donor, what a guy.:)

Fg Off Bloggs
3rd Jul 2013, 13:29
Mine (received at TTTE, I recall) pinged the scanner at Inverness Dalcross about 15 years ago! The security guy told me that I couldn't take it on board but that he would post it south for me! I asked him if he would like to keep it - he was over the moon and so mine is lurking somewhere in the north of Scotland!

Strangely, the Heathrow Security system never even noticed it northbound a few days prior!

Bloggs:8