PDA

View Full Version : Yankee ATCO Heads for Europe

wlatc
10th Jul 2012, 14:40
I'm an American ATC retiree applying for an Instructor position in Europe. They are asking me for copies of my various ratings and licences. Problem is, we Yanks don't have such things. About the only FAA document I've got is a CTO, but that's not what they'll need.

Has anyone run up against this situation and resolved it successfully?

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Red Dragon
10th Jul 2012, 17:16
Start issuing internationally recognized licences and allow non-US controllers to work in the US?

That would be a good start.

wlatc
10th Jul 2012, 20:55
Sorry. That's above my pay grade. I was looking for useful suggestions, actually.

rennaps
11th Jul 2012, 08:52
I suggest that you get an official letter from the FAA saying that you worked in certain ATC positions and for how long.

wlatc
11th Jul 2012, 13:02
Thanks. I did think of that, but the problem is that after 17 years they've pretty much forgotten I existed. Since retiring in 1995, all my ATC work has been with private contractors, and none required anything more than a CTO (control tower operator) certificate.

hangten
12th Jul 2012, 23:33
Sorry. That's above my pay grade. I was looking for useful suggestions, actually.

Whilst part of me agrees with the response, it was very nicely put down. :ok:

paulsalem
13th Jul 2012, 02:05
Try the FAA Airmen On-Line Services. (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/airmen_services/)

I know an ATCO is not an airmen certificate but I think it will have your info.

Spitoon
14th Jul 2012, 19:17
Europe may be a problem for you unfortunately. Our betters (certainly on a higher pay grade than you or I) have given us EASA who are currently writing rules that will, I think, effectively exclude anyone without a European licence instructing in any ATC discipline. I don't think that the proposals have been published yet but I've seen a draft recently - it looks like you'll need to be qualified to make the coffee soon. But I'm sure it will make things safer so I guess it's a good thing.

Sorry I can't give you more chapter and verse or anything more positive.