View Full Version : Odd things happening on X-Country

FlyingKiwi_73
9th Jul 2012, 09:29
Guys, Ive been doing quite a few long flights recently and an odd thing happens,... in between the changing frequencies, clearances, SADIE checks etc.. in those lulls.. i get the oddest urge to sing "Strangers in the Night".

I was born in 1973 so it not of my era,.. yet every time i change tanks or finish a fuel calc it pops in my head... dooby dooby dooo.... i even sing some of my checks to the tune.....

Does anybody else have a similar behavioral oddities while flying... i just can't shake it.

i think i need help

FK73

Cows getting bigger
9th Jul 2012, 09:58
Hmmm, strange you should say that. Mine is Nat King Cole, "Straighten up and fly right" whenever I fly with a student. :)

Flyingmac
9th Jul 2012, 10:06
Flatulence. Quite pronounced. It starts when I fire up and stops when I shut down. Changing my diet has no effect. I had to change to open cockpit half way through my PPL training when I ran out of willing instructors. My check flights now tend to be short.

The strange thing is, I have almost perfected playing 'Strangers in the Night'. Coincidence or what?????

airpolice
9th Jul 2012, 10:47
Funny Frank Sinatra Song - Strangers on my flight (http://www.animatronics.org/strangers/strangers.htm)

This is why that song is going round in your head.

You'll need the speakers turned up for this one.

lenhamlad
9th Jul 2012, 12:34
At my last medical I mentioned to the AME that I kept singing Tom Jones songs whilst airborne and asked if it was odd. He replied "It's not unusual"!

BackPacker
9th Jul 2012, 12:42
On long x-countries I tend to stare at the exhaust and imagine the burned Euros flying out.

So far I don't have a specific flying song, but "Money, Money, Money" by ABBA would probably be appropriate.

'India-Mike
9th Jul 2012, 13:06
'Go West', in the style of the Pet Shop Boys is mine. Can't get it out of my head during the quiet moments of a flight.

Maybe it's a sign of being relaxed with good situational awareness. Singing, not the song, that is...

ShyTorque
9th Jul 2012, 13:09
Whenever I see another aircraft close by I go on 121.5 (Airline pilots' chat frequency) and sing "Hey, you, get off-a my cloud!"

Katamarino
9th Jul 2012, 13:29
Our club Robins have a place to plug your MP3 player into the intercom. Obviously, the first thing this was used for was to play the Top Gun theme on takeoff, which frankly just felt a bit silly. More recently we went and flew circles around the QM2 while playing the Titanic soundtrack.

Heston
9th Jul 2012, 13:43
An urge to sing "Strangers in the Night"? Nope. But I probably will now, blast it! :ugh:

H

FlyingKiwi_73
10th Jul 2012, 09:28
Hah very funny answers,.... "its not unusual" that is hilarious.

I'm buying a new headset soon with an MP3 lead and i will deffinately be playing the theme to Top Gun whilst rotating my Tommie at 55 kts..... it does sound very silly.

BackPacker
10th Jul 2012, 09:31
it does sound very silly.

Only if you time the commencing of your take-off roll so that rotation coincides with the change from the slow to the fast theme.

FlyingKiwi_73
10th Jul 2012, 09:43
the tail does look good tho... love the tommies! all together now 'nah nah nah na na naaaah nah nah' its the theme to Top Gun Honest

DSCF2521 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucarse/7541890634/)

sablatnic
10th Jul 2012, 19:38
Sinatra does it for me too, with "Fly me to the Moon"!

My father's tractor used the same song!!

John R81
11th Jul 2012, 15:29
Odd thing used to happen to me when training.......

Before entering the helicopter, I knew all the theory and I was absolutely perfect in execution; probably up there with the very best pilots. When I got into the aircraft, my memory of theory somehow became corrupted, and to make matters worse I lost all the polish (and on occasions most of the wood) of my motor skills. I never could explain why....... odd magnetic effect emanating from the magnetos, perhaps?

Anyway, I can now confidently warn all of you that repeated exposure to the magnetic fields of the magnetos has now rendered my condition permanent. Untreatable. Although I have a license, I now am resigned to never again being in a position to confidently claim to know everything, and hope (one day) to raise my skills to "acceptable".

Something should be done about those darned magnetos...

jxk
11th Jul 2012, 19:10
On short finals a quick dose of 'Oh God our help in ages past' seems necessary!

Sir Niall Dementia
11th Jul 2012, 19:12
I've had three first solos, glider, aeroplane and helicopter and found myself whistling Fly Me To The Moon at full blast on all three of them..

SND

foxmoth
11th Jul 2012, 19:30
'nah nah nah na na naaaah nah nah'

No, recognise that - definitely Dambusters March!:ok:

RTN11
12th Jul 2012, 10:52
I often used to sing "Oh what a night" right from my first solo.

However, as an instructor you don't get to fly solo often and the students start to look worried when you start singing :}

I once of heard of a student who used to beat box into the mic, much to his instructors annoyance.