PDA

View Full Version : Overseas ATC Options

ATLATC
8th Jul 2012, 21:03
After 20+ years with the FAA, I find myself contemplating jobs overseas and am somewhat suprised about the opportunities available.
All of my experience has been in top-shelf terminal facilities (Atlanta, for example) and the Enroute/Center option. I have served as a Controller, a Traffic Management Coordinator, and Supervisor. I also have an aviation related degree.
Where does one begin, and what should I expect?

Thanks.

wlatc
10th Jul 2012, 14:43
I'm a Raytheon retread looking for an overseas instructor job (http://www.pprune.org/atc-issues/490197-yankee-atco-heads-europe.html). Got a nibble but I am dealing with EuroControl licencing issues. Let me know how you do with your search, and, good luck!

ATLATC
10th Jul 2012, 15:29
Wilco, and good luck to you.
EuroControl look promising at all?

RPMcMurphy
10th Jul 2012, 19:27
OJTIs needed by SERCO in Erbil, Iraq (up the north end where it's a bit quieter). Shouldn't be a problem with US qualifications, I think a few Americans are working in Baghdad.

TheNoFlyZone
10th Jul 2012, 21:12
Do they have a radar at Erbil? Read the job posting on flightglobal,

Air Traffic Controller with Serco Middle East | 1401343954 (http://jobs.flightglobal.com/job/1401343954/air-traffic-controller/)

and it clearly says "approach procedural rating required"

By procedural, i'm understanding "non-radar procedural", unless i'm reading too much into it.

If that's the case, I doubt an ex. Atlanta controller would like to work Erbil.

Thenoflyzone

sykocus
11th Jul 2012, 07:57
Unless something's changed Air Services Australia hires Americans. They used to have a few faa contract towers around the pacific too, but I think SERCO outbid them all in the last round.

Vercingetorix
11th Jul 2012, 08:58
ATLATC
worth looking at UAE GCAA ACC, Oman ACC & Bahrain ACC. The first two are government agencies and the last is a Serco contract.
Serco also have a contract with the GCAA to provide a certain number of area controllers.
If joining as a controller expect to be a 'Bum" in a seat with very minimal scope for promotion or career development.
Life as a 'bum' or 'grunt' ain't so bad.

Good luck:ok: