PDA

View Full Version : Is MAS still open for new Cadet recruitment?

rodondo4
2nd Apr 2002, 20:28
I am really interested in flying the sky with MAS. Currently I am pursuing a PhD in the UK. Although I enjoy the subject very much, I know of only one profession that will truly fulfil my dreams and desire, an airline Pilot.

I should have applied to MAS years ago, but being the kampung boy I am...I did not think it could be a reality. Until I realised is possible with a bit of luck and real drive. Unfortunately now MAS seems to have stopped recruiting Cadets.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I am moving onto 25 end of this year....so time is running out!!

MR. Login
2nd Apr 2002, 22:46
How's Riverside?? &

Why
1) Airline Pilot
2) MAS

You're not really a PhD student are you? I know you're only kidding right.

rodondo4
3rd Apr 2002, 10:28
Riverisde macam biasa....cuma kedai makanan halal....is now crap. Yes, dok buat PhD....work is too boring....so since its boring might as well go for hardcore level! Nolah....they offered me a scholorship ina subject I like , so might as well. So what do u think still a chance to work for MAS...driving planes???

Ever since a kid its been a dream....and it has always been only a dream....even after my degree and masters...I never thought it could be a reality ...until ... I met some pilots and spoke to them...they weren't superhuman (no disrespect)....then I thought I can do this....and to cement it further, sat in a cockpit of a MAS 777 flight for the whole duration from melbourne to kul (the night of the fateful night of sept 11, maybe the last person to be able to do this, public i mean) and to know that that large machine and the safety of all 270 or so on board is in the hands of this two persons. It might be boring to some but I just know I will have the satisfaction of it. I want to be able to go to work in 25 years with a smile on my face, and its not because of the stewardess flying with my, but to fulfil my satisfation and ambition.

What MAS, well its like playing for the national team....I mean pride.....been a regular plane spotter since a kid at Sultan Abdul Halim ariport, guess the view of only Baby MAS's, has had an effect.......not saying the pramugaries have not had an effect..haha. I guess its pride and as a MAlaysian no other alternative lah. What other airline has better colour scheme than MAS! Pay may not be the best but what is money comparied to pride and satisfaction?

I know I can contribute so much to MAS not only in my desire to fly for them but also maybe in the later years to other areas within MAS (maybe help them sweep up the mess). Mgt Consultants have not been after me for nothing (see I even have the arrogance required for the job!!!).

Does this state my case?

MAStake
3rd Apr 2002, 11:38
A good position would be SVP/SGM. You could then work your way down.

rodondo4
3rd Apr 2002, 12:53
what do u mean working my way down.....in the current circumstances it would be working my way up....at least the pilots are doing their job ( I hope this is not going to hinder my prospects!!!)

Frying Dutchman
3rd Apr 2002, 13:39
MAStake, that's a good wicked one!

"Shut your mouth. Know your role."

OldAce999
3rd Apr 2002, 17:04
Forget about MAS. It is a company on the downslide surviving on taxpayer money. In fact they are dropping pilots now like flies unless you happen to pull some strings or pay some bribes.

If you want to fly, I mean "real flying" join the Air Force. They are looking for pilots (after buying 32 more MIG 29) like you now especially with a PhD. Maybe you can become their Test pilot and graduate from Empire Test Pilot Academy in UK after flying at least 12 high performance aircraft and doing flat spins.

You might end up commanding 16 fighters in the air in Battle Formation running at Mach 2.5 and then pull 9-12Gs in a dogfight. This is real split second stuff for real men not wimpies and I promise you will not end up like glorified taxi drivers.

MAStake
4th Apr 2002, 13:07
I believe he wanted to be an AIRLINE pilot.
It would help if we stuck to the post.

Don't we have a forum for military guys and wannabees?

MR. Login
4th Apr 2002, 18:41
Just some frustrated ol' Edeott that thought that he was General material and living in a time warp, giving his two bobs worth.

Go play with some Sabun ye olde.

Redondo,
Maybe you could do some PhD sort of research first before you join up and fly with "Pride" as a Malay, something you have always wanted to do since you were a "child" . Unfortunately, things aren't as easy as that. There's a little bit more to life than that, I'm afraid.

OldAce999
4th Apr 2002, 23:19
Rodondo4 that was just as an alternative for you. to think about if you want to fly. MAS is not recruiting at the moment and for a long time to come. They are licking their wounds and scrapes after losing almost RM20 billions under TR. And not many of them fought against it and those who did are out with some other airlines.

MAS pay as a pilot is the second lowest in the world next to China Airlines. Even Indonesian pilots get more pay. But at age 20 you can become the sole pilot in a B747-400 when the Captain goes to the toilet and good luck to the passengers.

Inside you had to pay bribes to get a fair share of the flights and licks a lot of backsides. That is what Mr. Login was trying to say when he says "Unfortunately, things aren't as easy as that. There's a little bit more to life than that, I'm afraid." It helps if you got connections with the airline management. Pilots had joined and flying the jumbos without even passing the basic Form V (SPM or GCE O Level). It is an airline waiting for a major accident to happen.

In the Air Force there are about 50 graduates pilots versus none for the airline accept 1 with a Law Degree and 1 with MBA.

The stress level is high as the ground supports (admin, pay & allowances, rostering, etc) will drag you down and they will create all sorts of problems for you if you do not give enough handouts.

Mr. Login here is one example, only good at name calling but lacking in substance, typical of MAS material.

rodondo4
9th Apr 2002, 18:12
Cheers for the reply guys....good points, better bantering:)

Mr Login....its not as simple as I put it out to be......do you wish you had done something that you thought was out of your league except you never tried, so u will never know.....my philosophy is I'd rather fail in something I believe in than do well in something I don't enjoy. I will regret my inability to apply for MAS earlier as I know flying is some thing I should do rather than dream....no disrespect to you in your opinion....even today I still lay awake during the nights wishing I was awake because of a reason, like flying 300 passangers safely (and don't you comment on the safety part OldAce999.. :) ) from one end of the world to the other.

The bribery can't be that bad OldAce99....I might be a bit niave but from the pilots I've met, they don't seem to give that impression....the opposite actually....does your statement come from knowledge or sepeculation...just wondering. Actually it was one of the Senior MAS pilot's that introduced me to this site.

Look forward to your replies/bantering....cheers

MR. Login
10th Apr 2002, 01:25
Redondo,

Haiya, wai u so like that one? U were offered and accepted a scholarship "ina" subject u like but now u find that de werk is too boring. So now U wanna be airline pilot flying 300 pax all over. I'm paying my ass off for you to graduate and contribute your worth, ie: your PhD brains to something higher, stronger, faster, good, gooder, goodest. But no, U want to be pushing button for the rest of your adult life, because maybe u got glittery eyed.

Maybe Old Lanchau is right afterall. U shud be in the airforce, where you can play General, fly in a battle formation and practice shooting tin cans for some good part of your adult life, then after that join the airlines to become glorified drivers as he says it, and then when the sun is going down in your life, u suddenly realised that you have been effed up and U end up being a virtual general in this forum with Usman, lanchaping everyday with the computer by your side. I prefer my F22 Raptor, by Novalogic, for all that crap.

Regardless, if u really want to join the airlines, u gotta be more resourceful than this. There have been quite a few postings already on this topic, and what u can do is by clicking on all the topics from about six months ago on various advices on how to go about it.

Easiest way of course is by picking up the phone, make a call to flight ops and ask to be directed to Flt Ops Human Resources Manager. Have a word with the bloke, find out for yourself all u wanna know and then take positive steps to either complete ur PhD or to chuck it out of de window. Actually, I shouldn't be telling you this because it's all too easy. U reckon coming to this forum will get u proper answers? If that's the level of ur research, maybe u shud quit ur post grad. Sounds arrogant I know, but if u were to turn up for an interview and appear like u haven't done much except asking people of little substance like me and toy soldier like Lanchau, they probably give u the cadetship anyway because of the "Bumi" factor. Then after a while, when u find that pushing buttons is again boring, maybe u can go direct into management. As u've said, they have been after u..so , u know.

rodondo4
10th Apr 2002, 04:33
Sorry Mr Login....

I have already done that......I've phoned up Human Resource....about as helpful as customer services....... not once but two or three time......i'll be having a restraining order next!!!

And by the way .... you are not paying for my Phd.....I have a full schlorship from the Univeristy here..... ;)

MR. Login
10th Apr 2002, 18:16
Re: Don't do (It)

Okay, okay, you're right. I do apologise for the outburst, no excuse for that. So, u got a scholarship from the Uni, eh? Well done and I suppose U haven't owed the Gov or any private companies anything for everything else leading up to your PhD.

Since u r that hardworking and talented, both the old dude and I are trying to tell you not to let ur brains go to mush by becoming an airline pilot, especially not with MAS.

If however u still choose to pursue the dream, then my advice is to 'keep on knocking'. If u knock hard enough, u r bound to get someone's attention and get the ball rolling. Before u commit however, u gotta see the whole big picture though, inside out, round and round, as it will be very foolish not to, especially someone of ur capacity.Speak to more people, make some friends and understand thoroughly what the life has to offer.

If u like u can mail me and I'll tell u why u shud not do it. U can ask some else on why u shud, maybe urself.

OldAce999
11th Apr 2002, 01:43
Rodondo4 : What PhD are you pursuing Humanity or Nuclear Physic. I have met many academics especially those going for PhDs they don't drop their ultimate aim that easily especially after reaching your level and also running on a foreign scholarship you must be brilliant.. Unless something is really wrong somewhere.

Complete the PhD then join MAS to sort out the real mess the people there are making.

From my experience academics don't make good pilot, maybe they are too bookish.

Colosseo
11th Apr 2002, 02:26
Redondo,
Once you have become a Doctor, methinks you are
over qualified for the job. You are better off teaching people
in the subject of behavioural science so that your efforts
will contribute to making this world a more pleasant place
to live in.

Good Luck!

rodondo4
12th Apr 2002, 10:15
Thanx a lot everyone......for all the input. Points taken. Cheers
Never thought about the air force route......

I appriciate everyones pooints of view....thank you once again

Sick Squid
12th Apr 2002, 13:59
...and to add a litle bit of perspective to the debate, in the last year I have flown with 3 PhD's as my First Officer. One humanities-based (I forget which discipline,) one Applied Mathematics and the other Chemistry. The last chap had been a Rocket Scientist, building engines for satelites and one of the Mars lander projects.

None were "too bookish," all were excellent pilots and good company, with a story to tell downroute.

So go for it if you want to. It's an uphill struggle, but so's getting a Phd. I'd agree with the advice to finish it first, however...

£6

rodondo4
7th May 2002, 01:40
Can someone within MAS please confirm the news (good for me...hopefully) that MAS, due to movements of first officer to captains and SO to FO that there will be cadets again in the near furture????

still dreaming of a dream......as you only live once

SuperRanger
9th May 2002, 01:54
rodondo,

i don't want to get your hopes up unnecessarily but the way i look at things, there shud be cadet intakes soon once all the 're-organisation' have been completed.

due to intake freeze from around 94-97, we are now critically short on FOs. on ALL fleets, there is an excess of capts but a shortage of FOs. there shud and must be an injection of new FOs soon or MAS will be at a disadvantage when the next 'boom' comes. the way things are going, looks like it might be sooner than later. just hope the powers that be have the foresight...

best of luck in your attempts.

SR

OldAce999
9th May 2002, 09:19
To recover from its losses MAS had been taking co-pilots of Indonesian once they completed their flying courses since 2 years ago. As Indonesia can produce an abundance of new pilots yearly and cheaply. New Malaysian pilots are not required.

Plus even at half the pay these Indon will come.

So tough luck you Malaysian guys. Your own country and airline do not want you anymore. And this recruitment is not limited to aviation field only.

This is your introduction to globalisation.

SuperRanger
11th May 2002, 05:38
rodondo,

pls do not let oldace discourage you. his post regarding MAS hiring Indonesian FOs 2 years ago is absolutely nonsense. to be honest, i think he had left MAS too ago to grasp the true picture and mostly what he had posted were simpily based on 'rumours'. to get the true picture you must talk to people who are still here. at present, there is not a single expat FOs which is inline with the company's policy to eventually nationalised the company.

though MAS might not be the best-run company but who's perfect. we might not be getting the most $$$ but i think job-security, flexibility, job-satisfaction, etc. are other considerations. you can even turn its' 'incompetencies' to your own advantage ;) if you know what i mean.

do strive to achieve your dream...

SR

rodondo4
11th May 2002, 10:25
Thanx a lot ..... superanger...... actually i am in the process of brushing up my CV ...... and finding the right words to break the news later on for my supervisor. But not rushing it until i can get a confirmed green light about MAS hiring.

How does the selection process work i mean the tests and interview...???

Last-Samurai
12th May 2002, 08:49
Please be informed that,MAS is over-loaded with Xpats.

Still U can try your luck.

All the best.:rolleyes:

rodondo4
12th May 2002, 12:06
Bila MAS will take out the x pats......any reason depa still there....

'anak lelaki rela berdarah, anak kedah patang kalah'

SuperRanger
12th May 2002, 15:26
rodondo,

the last time we checked, MAS has approx 90 expats, all capts. they are been deployed on the DHC6, F50, B737 and B742. we have some who were with us for more than 15 years.

the official reason MAS is still keeping the expats is that the company need some stablization cos the nationals are moving too fast from the lower fleets to provide the 'stable' factor. whether we buy it or not is another matter.

there were strong rumours about axeing the expats end of last year when things weren't so rosy but now with the reinstatement of almost all routes, thus there wouldn't be any reduction in man-power.

as i had mentioned in my previous post, most likely an opening for cadets should be in the works. as a matter of fact, the company just reconvene the long suspended PSB last week. (Promotion Selection Board, where crew are been selected to higher fleets)

should there be a newpaper advertisement, i will post it here.

SR

rodondo4
12th May 2002, 22:44
Thanx a million superanger...... it would be great if you can post it on here ....:)

OIC thats why MAS still has a large number of Ex pats.... I guess the nationals don't want to be stationed in the East (Sabah sarawak) and the 742 cargo kan? So its understandable....

What is life like during the training and where will it most likely to be (Melacca..i guess)???

Hope u can reply soon....as i can't concentrate much on other work ....... waiting for MAS to open :rolleyes:

MR. Login
13th May 2002, 00:50
'anak lelaki rela berdarah, anak kedah patang kalah'

Sounds like you already have. A very wise ol soothsayer can guide you to choose the "right" words to grease the egress.

Good Luck;)

ManaAdaSystem
11th Jun 2002, 19:29
Last time MAS axed expats, it cost them a F-50 and 30+ lives. Stability has its points. But why learn from our mistakes?

NCC-1701e
14th Jun 2002, 13:02
ManaAdaSystem,

That accident was not because of expats or a lack of them. Why you think theres a connection is a mystery to me.

Rodondo4,

I too believe MAS will take new cadets in the early future. The selection will be in a couple of stages. Most applicants will be screened out during the aptitude/psychomotor tests. Sometimes a few will fail the medical. So, if you get called up, it doesnt mean you're automatically in. Don't send your letter to your boss prematurely. I am not trying to discourage you but you wont be the only one trying to get a place. Go for it.

ManaAdaSystem
14th Jun 2002, 14:59
Before this accident, 80% of the F-50 copilots (expats) left the company. They were replaced by low time locals. When the accident happened, MAS were well and truly on the way to replace the expat captains with newly trained local captains. This very accident would never have happened with an aussie captain in the left seat, or a scando F/O in the right. Again, I stress, THIS accident. Poor airmanship and a passive F/O.
A high turnover of pilots is a worry for any fleet captain. The situation on the F-50 fleet at the time, laid the foundation for the accident. Other factors as well, but lack of stability played its part.

NCC-1701e
15th Jun 2002, 10:08
ManaAdaSystem:

Thanks, i see your point now. Though i can't agree with you 100%. I believe local pilots are just as competent as expats. It would be good if they could roster a competent FO on the fleet with a new captain and vice versa.

Rodondo4:

I regret to inform you that i just heard a new rumour today. There wont be much movement for FOs. My fleet Captain told us there wont be any FO movement, at least on my current fleet, perhaps for the next 4 years. The management will try to compensate the lack of FOs by rostering more flights with captains on the co-pilot's seat. It is the standard practice on the 737s now and i suppose they are planning for it to be fleetwide. So, i can't foresee when they will take new cadets again. Don't give up hope. Things can change rapidly and suddenly in airline business.

ManaAdaSystem
15th Jun 2002, 16:25
NCC,

You require more hours from an expat captain than a local, and more hours from an expat F/O than your local F/O. The word is experience, although competance also suffer when people are being kick up the ladder at minimum hours all the time. That was the situation at the time.
You may not like the situation your company is in at the moment, but an added bonus is increased stability. Time to gain experience AND competance. Hopefully the expats will maintain that stability when things kick off again.

For our friend, Rodondo4, I wish him all the best. If he succeeds, I can only hope he will start on the F-50 i Sarawak. Sarawak is a jewel, one thats often overlooked by the West Malaysians. That is, if you know how to behave. Otherwise you might find yourself in a headless situation:D

Last-Samurai
15th Jun 2002, 17:49
Dear all :

Xpats were 'bush-flyers' in the early 70s' when MAS started.Xpats had lot of accidents which were 'swept under carpet' since the DFO was an Aussie.

The locals are up to international standard,and some are currently flying for foreign airlnes in Asia.

Think hard before you join MAS.

rodondo4
25th Jun 2002, 20:21
Haven't logged on for a long time......been having a break watching the world cup in korea (during which I got the chance to sample my first taste of an LH Airbus 300-600 a Lufthansa B744 landing other than MAS [MAS landing better lah] and Incheon Airport)

Cheers everyone for their contributions especially NCC-1701e for your insider information.

Actually ManaAdaSystem, I think the F-50 is the best starting place to understand the mechanics of flying rather than fly a bigger plane stright away, as the smaller planes seems to be less stable (from a passanger point of view) so learn more lah. Let the plane goncang a little then can learn.

Its hard to contemplate ones dream ..... but with the current situation it seems difficult to even dream that dream. Well ..... still hoping lah for the best, in the mean time back to the books.

Dreaming the dream

Acedemic for the time being

SuperRanger
27th Jun 2002, 11:55
rodondo,

just to keep your hopes up, just 2 days ago, an internal vacancy notice was issued. there will be some F/Os moving up from F50 & B737 up to the B744, B777 and A330. course slated to start in july. the way i look at it, there should be some cadet pilot openings soon. keep at lookout in the local papers...

SR

rodondo4
27th Jun 2002, 13:17
Thanx superanger....... now i won't be able to concentrate on anything else for the next few weeks....yaaaahhhooooo

thanx once again

The Rage
28th Jun 2002, 16:09
Well gents, there aint going to be anyone going for command for quite a while now, they just cancelled the F50 course. and sorry i don't think there's going to be any intake of cadets as well.
The company has been short of FO's for quite a while now, why haven't they started any recruitment after all it would take a while for the selection proses and all the RED tape. Even if they were to send any today, these guys would not get on line till early 2004, thanks to the slow training proses in Malacca.
So there must be a reason since we are very short of Fo's, now.....this is where Air Asia comes into the picture. It seem they want to take over all of the domestic operations from MAS just leaving MAS with a had full to service First class for poloticians and the like of them. It makes sence course they (Air Asia) do it cheaper for the paying public and MAS does not have to fork 1 million a day in loses, especially with the forming of the NEWCO.
Therefor it leaves MAS with a lot of unemployed pilots to be put back into the wide body system (not all, couse some will have to go, who?.....well your guess is as good as mine, maybe to Air Asia) thats the only way to get rid of the retirees (now on 1 year contracts only) and at the same time have sufficient strenght for all wide body and a limited number of narrow body for the next face where by increacing frequency.

rodondo4
11th Jul 2002, 19:22
Yes......MAS has just opened up The CAdet scheme on the website.......brush up my CV and away it goes.......

yes...prayers answered!!!!!!!