PDA

View Full Version : license not current still able to be employed?

Clintonb
5th Jul 2012, 17:42
Hope someone can help me out and shed some light

I got a job offer unfortunately i haven't flown in 5 months so my FAA CPL license is not current and they dont fly N registered aircraft.. one thing they ask is that you are current. Problem is I'm in Sri Lanka at the moment and cant see how I'm going to be able to find a N registered aircraft to do the 3 take offs and landing to get current.

So was wondering would it still be possible to send them the application get my license validated where ill be doing the flying and fly a non N registered aircraft do the 3 t/o and landings and then continue with their training...

or do i need to get current?

Thanks for your help

zondaracer
5th Jul 2012, 18:03
The FARs do not say that the takeoffs and landings must be done in an N-registered aircraft. It does not say that you have to be PIC for those takeoffs or landings. It just says that you must be "sole manipulator of the controls" during those takeoffs and landings.

Go find an aircraft, get another pilot or instructor to go with you, but you perform the landings and takeoffs. As you can see, it says you can't have people on board except for those "necessary for the conduct of flight". So... another pilot who is current and legal to fly the plane, an instructor, etc...

FAR 61.57
Recent flight experience: Pilot in command.

(a) General experience.
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as a pilot in command of an aircraft carrying passengers or of an aircraft certificated for more than one pilot flight crewmember unless that person has made at least three takeoffs and three landings within the preceding 90 days, and--

(i) The person acted as the sole manipulator of the flight controls; and (ii) The required takeoffs and landings were performed in an aircraft of the same category, class, and type (if a type rating is required), and, if the aircraft to be flown is an airplane with a tailwheel, the takeoffs and landings must have been made to a full stop in an airplane with a tailwheel.

(2) For the purpose of meeting the requirements of paragraph (a)(1) of this section, a person may act as a pilot in command of an aircraft under day VFR or day IFR, provided no persons or property are carried on board the aircraft, other than those necessary for the conduct of the flight.

Clintonb
5th Jul 2012, 18:36
Great thats good to know. Will go to the airport tomorrow and get myself a Sri Lankan instructor and plane :) added bonus to my trip here. Thanks a lot zondaracer..

Nashers
6th Jul 2012, 00:45
I would advise you come to an agreement with the instructor that you can log it as P1 if all goes well, before you take off.

Its better to have it as P1 in your log book "just in case" someone else reads the rulesin another way!

Harmattan96
14th Jul 2012, 11:55
Sole manipulator of the flight controls does not require you to be PIC, just licensed, or rated or certified on the type or class of aircraft being used.
Further more unless this fellow has a validation from the Sri-Lankan authorities allowing him to be the PIC of a Sri-Lankan registered aircraft, he may not log anything as PIC. It wouldn't matter if the instructor pilot agreed with who was acting PIC or not. Hope this is clear because the law very much isn't, especially when we deal with international multi license and registration issues!

Clintonb
7th Aug 2012, 18:59
thanks very much for the information.. was a big help thanks again