View Full Version : PLB Registration

mr_rodge
4th Jul 2012, 15:09
Hi all,

Has anyone registered a PLB lately? I registered mine online with the MCA about 4 weeks ago and still haven't received the decal. Is this normal, or is it worth me giving them a call?

I sent an email to Kinloss with the details as well, and they just bounced me back to Falmouth as they apparently don't deal with it any more.

Cheers.

Oldpilot55
4th Jul 2012, 15:30
I sent the form in around 21 May and when I left to go work abroad on 25 June they had not acknowledged receipt. I tend to think that they would react anyway regardless of whether they have completed their end of the paperwork.

BabyBear
4th Jul 2012, 16:03
Likewise I registered mine in May.

Believe it or not I got a call from them today followed by an email:

As per our recent telcons, I confirm your beacon was registered on 17 May 2012 and the data became Operationally effective from that date; see attached copy report for your perusal.

Hard copy and labels will be issued in due course but unfortunately, due to staff shortages and the high volume of work being received, we are entering New & Changes to registrations within 48 hours of receipt but the administrative side of returning confirmation and labels is taking considerably longer. Therefore until these are received, please treat the attached as "proof of registration". The labels show the beacon Hex Id: 9D…..or 1D....., etc as well as the 24 hour contact telephone number for Falmouth Coastguard, who have full access to our database and are located in the same building as the Registry. Their no is: +44 (0)1326 317575, you may wish to note this down should you need to contact them in an emergency.Hope this helps.

BB

Edited to add that I had already called them due to not receving confirmation and at that time they did tell me they would respond even if a device had not been registered. Registration gives them info that may be helpful in any SAR operation.

RMK
4th Jul 2012, 21:15
It's easier and more efficient to register a PLB at:

www.beaconregistration.noaa.gov (http://www.beaconregistration.noaa.gov)

You don't have to live in US to register it on NOAA.

patowalker
5th Jul 2012, 07:18
I registered my PLB in April and the very next day received an extract from the beacon database with an email reading:

Thank you for the Beacon Registration form.

The beacon has been registered and a copy of the registration is attached. Please check the document thoroughly for accuracy. If any amendments are required, please edit the document, highlight your changes, and return it to [email protected]
Alternatively you may inform us of changes via the MCA web pages at MCA - EPIRB (http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/epirb)

Paper copies and 'Proof of Registration' labels will follow by post to the address on your registration as soon as they are printed. This may take some weeks. At the top of the document is our Dept Ref number. Please quote this in all correspondence concerning this registration.

...The labels have still not arrived.