PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Airlines...?

TheFirstDohrnPilot
4th Jul 2012, 10:29
Hey :)

Can anyone recommend a piloting job to aim for that isn't an airline pilot? Airline pilots are probably the best payed pilots out there, but it takes a lot of money to get there and there are apparently not many airline pilot jobs about. So, are there an pilot jobs that have better prospects and don't cost an absolute bomb to get to? I heard the corporate jet sector seems to be doing OK, but you also need a lot of experience to get there... any jobs that would be good to getting there?
To sum up, I guess I'm looking for a flying job that is attainable if you're not rich; pay's decent money (I don't want to get rich, I wanna fly); will be around for a while; and is fun! Am I being unrealistic?

Ta!

PURPLE PITOT
4th Jul 2012, 10:40
Yes, you are being unrealistic. Harsh perhaps, but true.

Good luck

Genghis the Engineer
4th Jul 2012, 10:47
Careers in Aerospace *Overview (http://www.careersinaerospace.com/careers-areas/flying/overview.html)

Not mentioned there however:

- Business jets (admittedly similar entry requirements to airlines)
- Commercial balloon flying
- Airship pilots
- Full time light aeroplane, microlight or gyroplane instructors (and in some countries gliding instructors, but not really in the UK)
- Air taxi
- Fisheries / antarctic support / aerial surveying
- Test Pilot (more an engineer in a flight suit than a full time pilot job)

G

TheFirstDohrnPilot
4th Jul 2012, 15:16
Thanks! I'll look into those. Some sound pretty cool!

PURPLE PITOT
4th Jul 2012, 16:33
Oh Genghis, i think you may have mislead a freshly minted 200h cpl that biz jets and test flying are an alternative to buying an A320 type and 500hrs line training!

Shame on you:O