PDA

View Full Version : IMC Test

Roundouthigh
2nd Apr 2002, 14:53
I am going to be doing my IMC test fairly soon!!!! Any tips on the test, how things went and order in which things were done would be much appreciated.

Many thanks and safe flying.

KitKatPacificuk
2nd Apr 2002, 15:30
Roundouthigh

I've taught alot of IMC and I find it depends on where you go and what the examiner is like. Most of my students have tended to track to an Airport like Southend. Tracking VORs then being Radar Vectored onto the ILS. Then on the go around tracking back to a VOR. The route is normally done first then after the approach the general handling is done. Compass turns, Limited Panel, Unusual attitudes. Somewhere in there the ADF tracking is done, unless you have done a Procedure ILS or NDB approach then the examiner might accept that for the tracking. The examiner will worry about where you are during the general handling, but he might ask you after it to position fix yourself and then track to a beacon to take him back to the base airfield.

Plan carefully and set as much up on the ground as possible, so you're not fiddleing with the radio and nav equipment in flight too much.

The BIGGEST bit of advice I can give is GET THE PLANE TRIMMED!!

Let the plane fly itself and make those little adjustments if needed.

Good Luck

BEagle
2nd Apr 2002, 18:57
What 'route' might that be? As far as I'm aware, there is no radio navigation section in the test - just some tracking requirements and fixing prior to the first recovery. Don't forget the low-level visual circuit, by the way!

TheSilverFox
2nd Apr 2002, 21:46
BEagle, I'm a little disappointed with your "What route would that be" comment!

As an examiner myself I am fully aware of the requrements of the flight test.However, a little common sense should be applied as to the interpretation of the requirements rather that just blindly and pedantically following the written word!!!

It does not require the greatest stretch of imagination to design your radio aid tracking element to simulate a route! In the case of kitkatpacificuk's example, if he uses Southend he is probably testing from an airport other than that used for the approach(ie Redhill or headcorn) therefore asking the candidate to intercept and mainain a specific radial to the DET and then to intercept and maintain a specific QDM to the SND meets the requirements of the test but also demonstrates the candidates ability to get from A to B (Quite a useful skill as your just about to authorise him to do so in zero en-route vis!)

As examiners we should all be looking at the big picture. With a little imagination we can achieve this without stepping outside of the published test requirements.

BEagle
3rd Apr 2002, 05:57
As an Examiner I am far, far more interested in sound basic IF skills on the IMC Rating test than I am on anything more than fairly basic radio navigation. Yes, you can organise a small route if you wish - I prefer a simulated SID to VMC on top, then the IF manoeuvres with the applicant 'under the hood'. When we've finished all the UP recoveries and limited panel work, I get the applicant to settle down again on full panel, intercept a given radial and track towards the beacon I've chosen - then fix position, estimate a heading to the aerodrome for recovery and then to get on with a radar vectored ILS, go-around, NDB approach and go-around into a low-level visual circuit to land.

The 'route' requirement was going to part of the proposed Instrument Weather Grading but that was binned by industry.

KitKatPacificuk
3rd Apr 2002, 09:46
I think you do have to think about where you're departing from. If you have an Airfield with all the Approaches then Great. If you don't how exactly do you get from one to another without tracking a radio aid. The route I was talking about was Denham to Southend or Cranfield. Denham has no SID or approaches so therefore going somewhere else to do the approaches does help! I can understand that at an airfield with everything it's easy to miss out the enroute bit. But I think the enroute stage helps alot with trimming and cockpit management of the aircraft.

Roundouthigh
22nd Apr 2002, 13:05
Thanks for your advice. I had my test on Sunday and passed first time. I would recommend anybody who is keen to improve their flying skills to do the IMC. Thanks to the guys at Cabair at Biggin Hill who taught me.

BEagle
22nd Apr 2002, 16:38
CONGRATULATIONS!! Enjoy the privileges of your IMC Rating - but use considerable discretion when planning to do so!!