PDA

View Full Version : Barbados Plane Hire??

johnnypick
2nd Apr 2002, 12:35
I'm going to Barbados in 3 weeks and would like to know if anyone has any addresses/phone numbers of any flight school/hire compaies out there. Also what license you need out there. I have a JAA PPL and an FAA CPL/IR, so I should be alright.

Johnny
:p :p

Rusty Cessna
2nd Apr 2002, 15:25
I was there about 2 years ago. As far as I am aware the situation with regards to hire is still the same. There is one airport, Grantley Adams, and 1 flying school called Gardair who operate a 150, 172 and a Twin, although the 150 and twin were in maintenance when I was there so only flew the 172.

In terms of the set up it is a nice little club with a very nice 172. They run a training scheme which is a mix between the Canadian system, FAA and JAA, so you should be fine.

It takes about 45 mins to fly around the island, and its a great flight. They are fine with island hopping as long as you are capable. I don't have any contact details but if you ring the airport man desk when you get there they can put ou through. They were having a new Business terminal built when I was there so the club might have moved, if its still south side, so its a drive all the way around the perimeter fence.

There is also a helicopter touring company called Bajan Helicopters, which operate tours of the island from the centre of Bridgetown, and also operate out of Monserrat, if its something you fancy.

Overall a good little set up with a good aircraft, availability was fine in my experience and the flying was fantastic, if you get the chance do some low level flying around Bathsheba, excellent fun! Cost is about 80 Bajan dollers per hour, 3 Bajan dollers to the pound when I was there, but you can pay in US dollers too. Any more info needed, give us a mail.

Regards,
Rusty.