PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi PPL Conversion

flyboy007
2nd Apr 2002, 11:35
Hey. Anyone have any idea whats involved in converting my New Zealand PPL into a UK one? Or can I cruise into an aeroclub and use my NZ PPL to hire an aeroplane. Am trying to find out from CAA, but the combo of recorded phone messages and lack of email reply are beginning to annoy.

Irv
2nd Apr 2002, 12:17
Fully valid NZ PPL is usable in this country for day-vfr rentals, providing your renter wants it to be so! (you'll need a rental checkride like anyone else).
Conversion to JAA PPL - medical, skills test, ground exams (how many depends on whether you have 100 hours total time or not).
Both questions answered on
http://www.higherplane.flyer.co.uk/faq.htm (numbers 4 and 25 amongst others). If you need a NZ medical, I know Dr Perry in Hampshire is authorised. (See '1' in same site)

Southern Cross
2nd Apr 2002, 15:26
Just as Irv says. Very easy. I flew here for quite a lot day VFR on my NZ PPL, having demonstrated to the school I hired from that I could actually fly. Navigation was another issue altogether. When you learn at Wellington as I did, there are plenty of ground features to point you in the right direction... Less so near London when one town looks and sounds like another, at least for a while.

Then I converted to a pre-JAR PPL. Easy. GFT (General Flight Test), HUman Factors and Air Law I think. Can't remember really, but it was a doddle. Conversion allowed me to venture outside the UK in a G-reg aircraft.

Enjoy.

Irv
2nd Apr 2002, 19:05
Yes, as Southern Cross says, you can pass a rental check, then the problems start!
From Popham I normally have a couple of specially selected dual routes ready for a UK intro. They involve MATZ, Class D, white horses and usually a tea and cakes land away at Old Sarum or Compton Abbas. Usually the 'newbie' is very happy to try them with me. I also have a couple of standby 'volunteer' teamers to offer further joint flying, both to half the cost, and boost the newbie's confidence.

flyboy007
3rd Apr 2002, 18:16
Cheers guys. Good to know the 'downunder' ppl counts for something overseas. I concur on the navigation difficulties etc, but no doubt can be overcome easily enough with some time up.
See you up there.