PDA

View Full Version : FISO licence - advice appreciated.

Jarvis82
28th Jun 2012, 20:04
Greetings,

I am keen to get my FISO licence, but frankly my initial investigations have proved rather difficult - probably because I made the mistake of contacting the CAA about it!

Basically I work within the industy (aviation), but would love the opportunity to get a few quid extra, whilst maintaining a close relationship with the GA world that I have always enjoyed being part of. I gained my PPL 15 years ago at Old Sarum - at one time one held my CPL, but sadly life got in the way before I could finish my ATPLs. I work a generous shift pattern, so I do a lot of thumb twiddling every week, hence the desire to get my FISO licence.

My PPL is current, and as such I believe I'm exempt the Met/Nav and Law/Procedures exams. In fact this was one of the only things the CAA actually confirmed for me during my brief and pointless enquiries recently!

Where I get stuck, is exactly what material I should be studying. The people I spoke to at the CAA said they have no syllabus, and that they would only point candidates towards CAP 427 (FISO licence) and CAP 410 A & B (FIS Manual General & Aerodrome).

But I was digging around on the CAA website and seemed to come across a whole load of stuff mentioned that isn't in these publications, but would seem to be tested in the FISO exam.

Aside from the above CAP manuals, I also have a copy of CAP 452, the Aeronautical Radio Station Operator's Guide.

There just seems to be a lot of mystery surrounding the FISO exam. For instance, is there a percentage of phraseology and terminology questions, that would necessitate me making sure I've studied the CAA radiotelephony manual. I like to think that because of my PPL my knowledge of this is quite good, but 'quite good' probably isn't good enough!

So if anybody is able to offer me some advice in terms of exactly what material I should be studying, I'd be most grateful!

My sincere apologies for the long winded nature of this post!

Regards,

Jarvis.

fisbangwollop
28th Jun 2012, 20:24
Here is the application form that gives a clue as to what exam you have to do or can skip.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1414.pdf

More info here with regard pending changes to be made to the licence....
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/2277/20120222CAP797ConsultationInvitationToComment.pdf

Talkdownman
28th Jun 2012, 22:30
Latest info here (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/2277/20120627CAP797ManualOfFISConsultationUpdateLetter.pdf) regarding the Consultation.

chevvron
28th Jun 2012, 23:24
Get an Air/Ground radio operator certificate first because it 'acts' as a 'Student FISO' qualification and is a mandatory requirement. There are white AICs which tell you about exams for A/G Cert and FISO licence, so have a look at those.
FISO phraseology is of course in CAP413. Don't know what is covered in the written exams as I never had to take them due to the fact I had an ATCO Licence with valid ADV/ADI ratings, but I would hazard a guess at phraseology and actions to be taken in emergency situations would figure as well as altimetry.
Suggest you contact CAA at Aviation House, Gatwick as they should give you guidance as to what parts of the written you might be exempt from, sorry but I can't remember the phone number but it was Joanne Cargan last time I had contact.

Tonyb-9
7th Aug 2012, 10:13
hi I am new on here, not a pilot, not an ATC, just have a very good friend who is trying to pass the FISO exam, it would seem the current exam paper has questions on it not related to the sylabus, has anyone on here taken the exam, failed or passed and found this to be true?

RJ.146
8th Aug 2012, 21:13
Strumbled across this thread got me curious:
As the holder of A JAR FCL (CPL) and a A/G am I right in saying from the application form all would need to do is do a written exam??? :eek:

callum91
10th Aug 2012, 16:45
Yes you'd just need to do the Law exam.